After 9+yrs of Metformin no more meds!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello Tonyo49 welcome to the forum,i have not long kicked all meds after 2 yrs lchf and exercise , please keep posting and come back with your questions,clive

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Presumably those who use test strips several times a day have to buy most of them from a chemist which is too expensive for me, a senior citizen. I am charged £18 plus for 50 strips if I want extra. My GP gives me 50 strips every other month.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely brilliant news, really well done. It's great to see real good news stories from people with long standing diabetes. Well done indeed

Reactions: 4 people

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes when it works for those many who had been diagnose with T2D and even those for more than 5 years, I really don't understand the current rationale for discouraging low carbs high fats diet for T2D. Are there long term studies to support the argument that low carbs high fats are dangerous in their evidence based recommendations?

Reactions: 2 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Presumably those who use test strips several times a day have to buy most of them from a chemist which is too expensive for me, a senior citizen. I am charged £18 plus for 50 strips if I want extra. My GP gives me 50 strips every other month.
Hi a lot of us use the SD Codefree meter because the strips are cheaper at around £7 for 50. Its sold by Home Health UK and you can buy from their website or their e-bay shop. If you buy larger quantities there are further discounts available.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I can't help with your question @kokhongw I don't know of any long-term studies but here's another piece of empirical evidence - I feel stronger and healthier than I have in years, full of energy and am managing to shake off chest infections without antibiotics. Quality of life is surely most important ?

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All of the most recent research is coming out strongly in favour of Low Carb High Fat. The problem is that dieticians are still being taught the official guidelines, doctors get very little nutrition tuition at all and the focus of their training is managing medications, when it comes to diabetes.
The perceived problems are that, whilst the 'short term markers', HbA1c, inflammation, trigs, HDL etc all improve, without a doubt, the cautious, who have been taught and fully accept the Diet /Heart Health Hypothesis (now totally discredited) will say that 'long term, we do not know the health implications'.
Well my take on that is that they do know the long term health implications of out of control blood sugars, spiralling, ever increasing doses of medications etc etc.
I am very hopeful that now Dr David Unwin has been given this NHS award, somebody will be critically evaluating his work and will look at it with a fresh perspective. We can but hope!

Dazzy_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Fantastic :) A really inspirational story as my meds and timeframe is virtually the same. Am doing the LCHF for last 3 months and the results are truly encouraging. With a story like yours to work towards, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for sharing and well done

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you and good luck @Dazzy-D my last HbA1c was 40 and I'm having bloods taken today for this current HbA1c quietly confident it will be 40ish again

Dazzy_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thank you and good luck @Dazzy-D my last HbA1c was 40 and I'm having bloods taken today for this current HbA1c quietly confident it will be 40ish again
Thanks 13lizanne.....my next HbA1c is not due until May, but for once I am actually looking forward to it.!! I had a bit of an 'episode' about 3 months ago with my GP being very concerned as I was close to passing out. I had ticked all the boxes foe DKA with my bg hitting over 30 mmol. A real wake up call to say the least. Since then have adopted the LCHF diet, watch my foods carefully, cut out the alcohol and have managed to lose a stone and a half (bought a new belt yesterday :) ) As you say, the key is regular testing, 7 -8 times daily. The forum has been a huge help, and when I read a story like yours, its a massive boost as I was diagnosed in 2008. Thanks for providing such a great message.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done @Dazzy_D your results are fantastic! I'm sure your May test will show a good reduction. :)

anncol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
fish, steak that isn't well done, grumpy people, moaners, Manchester United
Today my GP confirmed that I could manage my type 2 diabetes with diet alone. I was diagnosed type 2 on 29/6/2006 with a HbA1c of 92/10.6 GP put me on 1 500mg tab metformin x 2 daily, also 80g Simvastin and 40mg Ramipril daily. This lowered my bg levels and I carried on like this until 13/8/15 when my HbA1c had raised to 65/8.1 and she wanted to increase the metformin dosage. Due to recent surgery on my gut I could not tolerate this increase. However, I found this forum and learned about low carbing and testing before and after meals. I started LCHF diet on 28.8.15 and slowly increased the distance I walked each day, I tested my bloods up to 7 times daily, learned which foods didn't spike my blood, and discovered my BG levels eventually dropped to "normal" range . At this point I stopped the metformin, and with my GPs agreement halved the dosage of my other two meds and substituted 1x40mg gliclazide per day. After a few weeks of lchf and bloods being in the normal range I stopped the gliclazide too . Today I got my latest HbA1c result - 40/5.8 - woo hoo! & Doc thinks my diabetes is reversed. Thank you SO much to all the fabulous people on this forum whose postings and experience taught me how to:). Now, I know that I have to be vigilant every day, continuing with testing to make sure I don't stray off the low-carb path and keeping my exercise up and my weight down Thank you for the continuing support and encouragement of forum members XXX

Edited 13.2.16 by o.p. to bring up- to-date
well done you, can I ask if the operation on your gut was diabetic related or not. I was diagnosed 16 years ago type 2 and for the last 15 months or so have been suffering with gut problems, this is being put down to nerve end damage due to the diabetis, I'm on 2000mg metformin and 40mg gliclazide daily. Cheers Col

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Col, no my original op was because of cancer 26 yrs ago subsequent ops have been for wear and tear on the original op site! I have had type 2 for 10 yrs so completely unrelated. Hope that you get treatment to help your gut problem real quick @anncol

fene48

Really an excellent result for you - especially after such a long time diagnosed. It just goes to show what can be achieved, albeit with a dollop of good luck.

Please don't think I am diluting your result in any way, I'm absolutely not, more just acknowledging some of us are lucky enough to have remained healthy enough, one way or another, for our bodies to be able to regain these levels. Post-diagnosis, I too achieved good HbA1c scores, but I do thank my lucky stars ever day that whilst I'd really rather not have had the diagnosis, at least I've had the opportunity and good fortune to be able to make a difference.

Keep up the good work.

I'm sure you must feel like walking on air. :)
Fabulous results and I am sure you are an inspiration to many people. Wishing you smooth sailing from here on.

Reactions: 13lizanne