Having to raise carbs?

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been low carbing since last November and am having fantastic results. No hunger and have lost 2 stone. Am off my insulin and Am diet controlled onIy with great bg's.

The problem now is that my bg's are lowering steadily over time. I am now below 5 most of the time which I feel fine on but am worried that if they continue to drop that I will have to raise my carbs and this will stall my weight loss and I still have a way to go.

Had anybody had to raise there carbs and how did it affect you or how did you compensate.

Reactions: 4 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At a certain point they should stop. It would be highly unlikely for you to have hypoglycemia without being on some sort of medication (sulfonylureas) or RH (reactive hypos).

It's a great problem to have, but perhaps it's best to cross that bridge when you actually reach it?

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Below 5 is perfectly fine for a Type 2 without medication so I really doubt you have anything to worry about. According to our official guidelines for fasting BG, anything from 3.5 to 5.4 is "normal".

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. I just thought they would keep dropping and I really really don't want to up my carbs at the mo.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been low carbing since last November and am having fantastic results. No hunger and have lost 2 stone. Am off my insulin and Am diet controlled onIy with great bg's.

The problem now is that my bg's are lowering steadily over time. I am now below 5 most of the time which I feel fine on but am worried that if they continue to drop that I will have to raise my carbs and this will stall my weight loss and I still have a way to go.

Had anybody had to raise there carbs and how did it affect you or how did you compensate.

Lemonie - I have never taken diabetes medication, so can't comment from that perspective, but I can comment, from personal experiences on lowering blood scores.

Like you, I trimmed by reducing my carbs and as I did my bloods improved consistently too. My stats are in my signature.

I regularly run in the 3s and 4s with the 5s being my rises after eating. Overnight, I am often even lower (according to the Libre and some finger prick testing). Provided I feel fine, I am supremely unconcerned by low numbers. If I feel fine, and I'm say, 2.6 (which is pretty low for me), I will usually feel very hungry, but that will be because I am, and I'm due to eat. If I'm due to eat, I just wait as normal and eat my normal meal. If I'm not due to eat, I just have a cup of tea, with some milk, to give me a little rise, but I certainly don't head for the glucose or heavy carbs. If I feel a bit low or "off", I also just have a cup of tes, or similar. My liver will help my body out by dumping some energy into my system, and that is what happens with efficiently functioning non-diabetics. My system seems to have recovered well.

For you, you'll have to wait and se what happens and how your body reacts when you get to whatever point it is you need to change.

When I neared my target weight (by then my bloods had been running as described for some time), I firstly, just upped portion sizes a bit. Not enormously, but a bit, then when I continued to lose weight, I added in some cheese, then peanuts (or it might have been peanuts then cheese. I can't recall, but it matters not). When I reached my balance point for stalling weight loss, I continued to eat with those sorts of nutrient splits.

Over time, I tolerated carbs better, so can eat most things in modest portions without leaving non-diabetic ranges. I only say most as I haven't bothered testing some of the things I just can't be fussed to eat any more.

I don't believe you will need to increase your carbs as you go along, but that's just my lay-persons gut feel, so don't take it as an instruction. I think in making all of these life changes, we just have to feel our way along, changing only one thing at a time. Changing more than one thing at a time can lead to confusion as you can't tell what is or isn't working.

Really well done on being able to drop the insulin. I take my hat of fun on those who manage that's, because that indicates a suspicious shift in control to me, and the courage to try to be different and do things in a different way.

I really hope your body will settle into a good recovery/recovered mode and your new-found state can go on for a very long time.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply And Breathe. Am pleased to hear from somebody who has had the same experience. I know 4's aren't dangerously low but I have had high bloods for so long it feels low to me. I will carry on a little easier now :)