What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Even the gravy is high carb

You take all the fat and stuff left over after putting your chicken in the pressure cooker with the spices and the flour and corn starch coating. You take that fat and add some milk and fresh white processed flour, none of that yuppie arrowroot or anything like that. You cook that until you start to get that oily glutinous look. Clogs your arteries and raises you blood sugar fast. The salt alone will put you under

http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/full-nutrition-guide

Typical person eating the family meal is having three or four pieces of chicken, 2 biscuits, an ear of corn with margerine and strawbwerry jam or honey, a serving of baked beans, a serving of cole slaw and a large piece of the cake that comes with the family meal deal

I'm gonna resist KFC and eat it mentally lol

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well! You learn something new every day. I thought that Col. Sanders was a marketing thing - like Aunt Bessie. :)

Today isn't going well. My reading at bed time was 4.8 and I woke up this morning with a FBG of 7.6. I started a cold yesterday and this might be the reason but (unusual for me) I woke up starving so I had 2 eggs and 4 rashers of bacon - and 2 hours later my BG is increased to 8.0. I haven't been this high in ages. I then drank several large glasses of water (which ALWAYS reduces my BG) but instead its gone up to 8.6. Could stress about OH having an operation tomorrow morning be doing this to me? I've now got a cracking headache as well - not sure if this is due to the cold bug or the BG - or trying to remain calm about OH's operation.

Anyway today:
B: 2 eggs, 4 bacon and coffee
L: None planned
D: Home made chicken and lamb kebabs and salad. (No pitta or wraps - just meat and salad).
S: Probably some medicinal 90% Lindt chocolate

Reactions: 3 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just remembered..... a while back an American friend of mine from Georgia sent me a recipe for what she claimed was authentic Southern fried chicken, passed down from her Great Grandmother through the generations. Basically the chicken was dipped in a mixture of flour, salt and lots of black pepper then dipped in beaten egg and then again in the flour and black pepper, then the egg again, then the flour again - and then let rest for an hour before frying in deep bacon grease (fat). It tasted lovely but I only managed a half inch of bacon fat as I had to save up it up after cooking bacon. I wonder why we can't buy bacon grease in a pack like they do over there?

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Well! You learn something new every day. I thought that Col. Sanders was a marketing thing - like Aunt Bessie. :)

Today isn't going well. My reading at bed time was 4.8 and I woke up this morning with a FBG of 7.6. I started a cold yesterday and this might be the reason but (unusual for me) I woke up starving so I had 2 eggs and 4 rashers of bacon - and 2 hours later my BG is increased to 8.0. I haven't been this high in ages. I then drank several large glasses of water (which ALWAYS reduces my BG) but instead its gone up to 8.6. Could stress about OH having an operation tomorrow morning be doing this to me? I've now got a cracking headache as well - not sure if this is due to the cold bug or the BG - or trying to remain calm about OH's operation.

Anyway today:
D: Home made chicken and lamb kebabs and salad. (No pitta or wraps - just meat and salad).
Hi Chook Hoping your op goes well tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Anyway today:
My DSN says stress plays a big part in our blood sugars:(

Reactions: 3 people

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah i had brain damage when i was a kid so i stress out easily lol, i find shopping stressful now because you have to check everything for carbs, before i'd just throw it in the basic and not worry :***:

Reactions: 5 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream

L: chicken broccoli bake, pepsi max

D: chicken breast wrapped in bacon, stuffed with cream cheese and cheese, cauliflour with cheese sauce, pepsi max

S: coffee n cream, pepsi max

Reactions: 7 people

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody
B. Raspberries and Greek yoghurt

L. Salmon parcel with a Greek salad

D. Chicken and salad from a chicken kebab- they arrived with chips but I put them in the bin apart from 4 and I didn't eat the pitta bread apart from one mouthful.

S. Blueberries and a piece of stilton

Reactions: 8 people

just_undiscovered_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, bright lights, shopping, arrogance, reality TV shows..
B. 2 slices wholegrain toast and a boiled egg. coffee and cream
L. Harvester rib eye steak (No fries or mushroom) lettuce, grated carrot.. Kid's sundae best topped with chocolate sauce:wideyed:
D. nothing
S. few cherries, popcorn, walnuts,

A bit of a bad day with that sundae, but back on track tomorrow:D

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffeencream
L: crustless quiche
D: slowcooked ham in orange juice, with leeks

S: kefir and 2 squares 70%

Reactions: 6 people

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Salt'n'vinegar almonds
L: Lentil soup & Buffalo Chicken dip with a bit of celery
D: Lentil soup & swiss cheese
Late night snack: Small slice of multi-grain bread.

Testing the limits a bit, since I seem to have crossed some line that has decreased my insulin resistance.

In December, 200 grams of lentil soup (11 net carbs) inexplicably sent my blood glucose skyrocketing (I tested it a second day because I couldn't believe the results - and it did the same thing). I seem to have been a bit less reactive the last couple of weeks, so I decided to try again. Almost no reaction at all. 5.17 before, 5.06 at one hour, 5.73 at 2 hours.

Since I baked some bread today for a work event, I decided to try a small piece (~20 net carbs - my normal limit for a 3 hour period). I would have expected it to be around 7.2 about 1.5 hours after the first bite (my normal response to ~20 net carbs). It never went above 6.5.

So maybe I have crossed a line that will allow me to occasionally have a small piece of bread Or maybe today is just a fluke.
Whichever, that piece of bread (the first I've had since I was diagnosed on October 2) was the most satisfying thing I've eaten in a long time!

Reactions: 10 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B - Mcdonalds double sausage & egg muffin without the muffin, coffee
L - half an avocado mashed onto a couple of slices of spinach bread
D - sirloin steak
S - 4 pints of wonderful real ale, pork scratchings, 70% chocolate, peanuts. I might have had some chips, too

Why all that beer? Because, you see, when my brother-in-law visits I'm suddenly not diabetic for the day.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi all yesterdays BG reading before breakfast 6.8
B 1 poached egg / 1 tomato on 1 slice of burgen bread.
L 3 krackerbread / Low fat cottage cheese / pineapple. 1 pea
D 1 piece grilled gammon / salad / 1 lidle roll.
BG reading 2hrs after dinner 6.2:happy:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi all, Just made myself laugh in the recent post above I made an error I missed a letter off pear it read 1 pea, bet anyone reading this would think what was the 1 pea about , it made me giggle anyway, :D

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:

B: Fried Egg, 2xBacon, 2xChipolata, Tomato
L: Coffee & Cream, 2 squares 85%, and Pork Scratchings
D: Rib-Eye, Mushrooms in Garlic, Roasted Vegetables, assorted cheeses on a couple of Water biscuits.
Nice bottle or two of Malbec.

Reactions: 11 people

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had 3 rice cakes for Breakfast with spread cheese BG went from 6.1 to 8.1 so think i'll be cutting out the spread cheese in future :wacky:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had 3 rice cakes for Breakfast with spread cheese BG went from 6.1 to 8.1 so think i'll be cutting out the spread cheese in future :wacky:
It was probably the rice cakes rather than the cheese spread that spiked you.

Well, sitting in a hospital waiting area (again). No time for food before the taxi arrived pat 6.30am so I thought I'd get a cooked brekkie in the cafeteria. Guess what - it doesn't open on sundays. (This London girl will NEVER get used to living 'out in the sticks').

Next stop was the vending machines. Just of sandwiches, chocolate bars and micro heat pasta meals. Nothing suitable. I'm starving and annoyed with myself. it doesn't make sense - why should I be so hungry today when on other days I fast quite happily until dinner time? Thankfully BG is fine.

Reactions: 7 people