Medicines and supplements giving acid indigestion

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Never ever in my life I have had issues with 'acid'..and then it all started two years ago, after being prescribed Omacor capsules because I refused to carry on with statins. With other issues going on same time in same body area...I didn't click on to it and suffered in silence...I even started to fear the worst = heart or some serious lung issues. Anyhow...'dear' doctor said it classic case of acid indigestion and I was prescribed medicine for it. Eventually I realized, Omacor was culprit for my problems!! NO MORE of that!!!
Things went well for a while..issues seemed to calm down but never went away totally. Came time to get more 'acid' tablets and now doctor would not prescribe anymore without seeing him first....and not being his favourite 'follower', I started to rely for over the counter 'concoctions'...which worked as 'well', though not all were marked as 'suitable for diabetics'. Recently things have gone pear shape again..though now I am able recognize the signs my chest pains being down to 'acid', but haven't been able to find out what is the cause for it...diet etc. did very little difference.
Then week ago I decided to do 'test'...stopped taking metformin r..(insulin has taken care of the blood sugars)....AND HEY PRESTO!...no 'acid' attacks for last few days..my insides are in peace! :D Why oh why my body is telling me that yet again another lot of 'stuff' is not acceptable..over the years every medicine I have taken in longer term has been 'rejected'.
I have to start asking alternatives again...or maybe I could go without!!!??? Another thing to talk about with 'dear' diabetic doctor next week...
How many in here has had 'issues' with Metformin.....what was the outcome...did you switch to something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shar67

I think you need to go back to your doctor, over the counter medicines are not as good as prescribed medication and the doctor can see what is working what isn't. Some over the counter remedies taken over a long period of time may result in you developing gallstones which may cause pain and other issues

C

catherinecherub

Some OTC antacids can cause problems. They can alter the absorption of prescribed medicines, including antibiotics and reduce their efficacy.
You need to discuss this with your Dr as they may alter your calcium levels too.

Reactions: 2 people