Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I'm Dana and this March will mark being diabetic for 10 years. I aim to inspire people, and I hope my story could help you- I get that it probably wont, but having the chance to share it kinda makes me feel excited. Ok... Here we go:

On the 9th of March 2006, I was a very poorly 7 year old. My parents figured something was wrong with me when I could down one of those water bottles (that are about the size of a large baby) and not need to go to the toilet afterwards. So we went to the local doctors, who immediately referred me to the hospital where they told me I had diabetes and then kept me wired up to god knows how many machines for a week. When they let me out, the first thing I wanted to do was go to school and see all my friends.. but I had to stay at home for 2 months with daily visits from the nurse and phone calls every morning.

When I was finally allowed to go to school, I was so excited. I remember buzzing on the walk there- which was only to be interrupted by a hypo in the playground. parents were looking at me funny- had I just used a mobile phone and a pen to make myself bleed? Anyway, everyone was happy to see me- we were all playing in front of our parents whilst we were waiting for the bell to go. When it did, I turned around to wave to my mum (she'd been fired from her job because she had to stay and look after me) but she seemed to be getting angry at other parents about something. I shrugged it off.

At the end of the day when my dad picked me up, he told me that mum had to explain about me to the parents because I was different now. I understood I wasn't the same any more so I shrugged it off. But that was when things changed. Parents started talking, children started hearing- eventually if you so much as looked at me then you'd apparently get diabetes. So I spent another year at that school and left half way through year 3.

New school- we moved house and my nurses recommended changing me to the closer school (it was only closer by a five minute walk). Things went ok. Then I left my medical bag slightly open once and someone thought it would be a good idea to pull a needle (in its protective case) out of it. After shouting at me, the head teacher decided that I should keep all of my stuff in the office (at the other end of the school) and when my mum -who now worked there- was ready she could come down to inject me. I forgot to mention I had a massive needle phobia... It stayed with me until almost the end of high school.

Middle School came- where both the schools I'd been to would sent their pupils. I saw my old friends, they met my new friends. Everything was ok. Then someone decided that my nickname should be "Diabetic Dana". I thought it was creative at first and went along with it. But, as time went on I came to realise that they saw the diabetes before they saw me. We were all at that age where you invite your whole class to your birthday party still- and I was so excited and always brought my friends presents with whatever money I had, months in advance. But then it became a regular thing that people were coming up to me saying that they had cancelled the party.

I found out in year 7 that everyone was having parties after all this time. here's an exact quote that I will never ever forget when my 'friend' told me the truth- "Everyone's parents are scared of you. They don't see you as much as we do. They don't want the responsibility of looking after you in case you end up dying in the middle of the night". Oh. And it also turned out that people were only my friends for the benefits they'd get- Free alton towers trips (disabled merlin pass +1 thing); first in for dinner; sitting out of P.E if I was having a hypo; etc. Benefits?! How do they see these as benefits? I hate it- they all just emphasise the fact I "wasn't normal" as everyone kept reminding me. I guess I was stupid to not realise then that people only spoke to me when they wanted something.

High school came- I still couldn't inject myself. I had no friends. Everyone opened up about how they thought I was always "attention seeking" or "faking it" or whatever else they said. I mean- yeah there was a few people who were really kind to me, but also they had times where they had better things to do than wait for me if I was having a hypo sometimes. In year 9 I went to my first sleepover. I couldn't believe it- I thought I wouldn't ever go to one- and they were a big deal from where I'm from. If you go to a sleepover, you're a proper girl- not just a girl. (I have no idea either). I guess what it meant was it left you how I felt if you didn't got to one- Why should I be girly if I don't do girly things like sleepovers? I don't know. I changed who I was because I never got invited to any. I went from wearing long dresses (because they hid my injection marks) to a mud-loving kinda girl. I'd rather climb a tree than go out shopping with friends (which lets be honest- never happened anyway so that's ok).

Maybe this was what gave me my taste of adventure. The fact that I could be free from all the negativity and away from other people. In year 10, I decided to step away from my games and try and live more. I started disco-dance class and absolutely loved it- and it was around this time (8 years since I was diagnosed) that I finally managed to get over my needle phobia. When we were dancing, the teacher got annoyed when I had hypo's mid-practice. "What would you do when you're on stage and you're low? When everyone is watching?" I didn't know how to answer, so 3 months after starting I left. But a month before, I found out there was a local explorer scout group so thought 'what the heck' and tried it. Whoa.

I could be me. "You have diabetes? ok. Well shout up if you need any help with anything or don't feel very good". Wait, did this leader just shrug it off like it's no big deal. Do it again! oh my god, this is amazing! They don't care- I love it! I mean, yeah they cared- but not in a judgemental manner.

Camping? I hope you all have a great time! Crate stacking? sounds awesome- enjoy yourself!
Wait a minute... I can come?.. With you all?.. I can join in too?!

Me and my scout leader's personalities clash a lot I know now, but I will never forget how I felt within 2 hours of meeting her. They were all talking about the camp which was happening on that weekend and I remember getting so lost in the conversation. The leader asked me to stay behind at the end and- you'll never guess- she asked me if I wanted to go with them! Erm- Yes! I knew one person who was going- the other 30- pfft no clue, and I'd only just spent 2 hours with about 10 of them.

Result? loved it. We went on a massive hike in Cartmel, Cumbria. I was terrified on the way though- my first time away from parents- my first time with the majority of the people there, and spending 2 full days with people I'd spent no more than a couple of hours with. What was I thinking?- I don't think I was. Truth is- I'm glad I wasn't- because I felt like a new person: hiking, geocaching, wide games.. all of it!

I think it all kinda hit me when I had a hypo on the mountain and the leaders of our group were like "Well now's a good time to have a lunch break then" They didn't blame me, they didn't shout, they didn't make a big deal about it. I fell in love with scouting.

I gained the confidence to try new things- adventurous things. Climbing, quad biking, high-ropes courses, ice-climbing, tree-house building, bushcraft, kayaking, canoeing, diving. You name it- I loved it.

It's been 2 years since I joined scouts (well almost anyway), meaning 2 years since I figured it out. "What did you figure out?" you ask- I figured out who I am. Who I'm meant to be. Who and what matters most to me. What I value most in life.

I'm now a volunteer climbing instructor, a volunteer bushcraft instructor, I did some volunteering for helping to run laser-tag sessions, and a volunteer young leader for a scout group. The way I see it- volunteers changed my life- my scout leaders showed me to never be afraid of showing who you are. They inspired me to get up and get stuff done rather than hiding at home sat behind a screen all day. And they helped me see what I want to do with my life.

I'm now studying Adventure Sports [level 3 extended diploma] at Reaseheath College. I want to become a full time climbing instructor and live my life to it's full potential. I'm happy here, I have people who accept me and who I adore so much. Everyone is different in my class- and because of this I feel the same. I'm not the odd one out- we all are. I've spent 5 months with all of these amazing people so far, and I think I've shone brighter than the sun in terms of kindness, respect for myself and others, and in motivation too.

Yeah- I have diabetes, but do you know what? Diabetes doesn't have me!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 457
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 23 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
THAT was a great read @Dana_Heath ....thoroughly enjoyed it and your approach.

I should have added your command of the English language would be the envy of many.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you Dana! I feel appalled at the fact the way your school friends parents treated you. That's ignorance for you.

I'm glad you found yourself with the scouts at the end of it all. Sometimes we have to go on these adventures by ourselves and meet new people.

Life can be complicated enough as you get older let alone people giving you grief for your diabetes.

Chris

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mike D @Prem51 @PseudoBob77 @kazlincs thanks so much for all of your support haha- and for your amazing comments! (Especially about my writing bc before I found scouts I found it to be the only way I could kinda express myself. So you guys mentioning that is awesome . I'm so glad and thankful you read it all haha: sorry idk what to put I'm kinda buzzing but idk how to take feedback

Positivo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear Dana Heath, As a professional writer since 1952 I applaud ther post which says you should be writing - if you want to do so.
I add two bits of experience 1. There is no 'correct'' way to write; there is only YOUR way. Only you have seen the world and events as you do. 2. Hold on to the beautifully straight and clear way in which you have written your post.
I am only a seven year veteran diabetic Type 2. The day I tottered across the road to get the first prescriptions filled, I felt totally alone. Doomed, even. Shortly afterwards, my GP practice put on an afternoon seminar with food which included several things I thought were barred to me. GPs, Practice Nurses, and fellow patients were all there for conversation and to answer questions and reassure newbies. I was NOT alone, after all

The 'me' of now is unrecognisable from that scared bloke seven years ago. And all on the plus side.
What enraged me about something as stupid as diabetes was it felt like the one thing I could not beat with will power. Having had my sight restored, I am back writing and this very day contacting the New York agent who agreed to take me as client all those years ago. Two last thoughts: I now realise that I was diabetic or impending diabetic a long time before I was diagnosed. Lulled into a sense of false security by only having needed about half a dozen GP appointments between leaving the RAF and being diagnosed, a total of 61 years.

Reactions: 4 people

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you liked my story @Positivo and wow- it sounds like you've been on the same roller-coaster of life haha. It's great to hear how far you've come and how you've seen change in yourself!

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Mike D @Prem51 @PseudoBob77 @kazlincs thanks so much for all of your support haha- and for your amazing comments! (Especially about my writing bc before I found scouts I found it to be the only way I could kinda express myself. So you guys mentioning that is awesome . I'm so glad and thankful you read it all haha: sorry idk what to put I'm kinda buzzing but idk how to take feedback

Walk proud :)

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1k views this is crazy!! Massive thank you to everyone I was expecting about 20 people maximum- this is so awesome

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Be very proud of all your accomplishments.....and I am absolutely sure you will have many, many more.

Love the photo too!!

wildagayn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud music , gratuitous violence , bad language .
Just amazing , in oh so many ways . Thank you for a lovely morning read .
Go girl

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I hope you stay around to encourage others!! Welldone Dana.. Inspirational....