Just Started Monitoring (T2) (Codefree)

P

paula.nolan42

Hi everyone.

I just want to get an indication of frequency of monitoring - I know that the first test should be in the morning after getting up but before breakfast, But do you test before and after meals - or is it before a meal then 1 hour after and then 2 hours after ???

Also, I was looking at the 50 Shades of Diabetes Chart - my first test showed 6.7mmol - is that ok for 2 hours after lunch.

I've been trying to look through the info here but I can't find a definitive guide.

Thanks for any insight

Attachments

• 50shades - Copy.png
    50shades - Copy.png
    886.9 KB · Views: 505
Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Ideally yes, before and after. That way you find out what various foods have done to you. You might be able to relax later if you know that a slice of toast will always raise your BG by xmmol.

Ultimately the frequency will be whatever you feel comfortable with and what your fingers can cope with.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I test first thing in the morning, then before meals and 2 hours after eating

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the guidelines issued by NICE for the NHS to use. Bear in mind that these are rather generous targets. I prefer to be under 7 at all times post meal and most definitely under 7.8 at all times and right back down to where I started between 2 and 3 hours.

Type 2, before meals and fasting, between 4 and 7mmol/l
At least 90 minutes later, under 8.5mmol/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

The post meal peaks vary as far as timing is concerned depending on many factors, including the combination of foods in that meal. They normally appear between an hour and 2 hours, but not always.

It is up to you when to test, but if you want to find a suitable and sustainable diet, then before you eat and 2 hours after first bite is a good start. Once you are getting the hang of things, you can start experimenting by testing at half hourly intervals to try to find the peak and, more importantly, the time you arrive back where you started.

The first job in the morning test will help show how you are doing generally, but don't worry if it is higher than you would like. There are several reasons why this happens such as your liver dumping natural glucose to help you start the day, or a restless night. You can find out if this is the case for you by testing at bed time and seeing how much you go up overnight. The fasting readings are often the last to come down.

Do keep a food diary and record your levels alongside so you can look for patterns. With some foods it may be you only need to reduce the portion size, with others you may have to cut it out completely. Experimenting is the way to go.

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
The above post tells you absolutely everything you need to know @paula.nolan42 you'll soon find your own plan but I think that most folks test before + after meals plus last thing at night. Good luck with it all, it's great to have this machine in your armoury :)

P

paula.nolan42

Thanks everyone - you guys are great ;) :p - I was around at my GP's :nurse: :doctor: and got the results of yesterdays blood tests - my hba1c is down to 53 when it was 73 at the start of December - I personally think this is a brilliant drop - and my Cholesterol is down too

Onwards and Downwards :happy:

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Paula, keep up the good work.

Did you get print outs of the blood test results? You are entitled to them but have to ask. They are very useful bits of paper you will need for the future. :)

P

paula.nolan42

Question for you, do BG levels rise after exercise ? I did an hour of moderate Pilates and then a 20 minute was. BG was 9.5

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Question for you, do BG levels rise after exercise ? I did an hour of moderate Pilates and then a 20 minute was. BG was 9.5

Yes, they do for many people. It's a stress reaction to strenuous activity.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done Paula on your staggeringly fantastic results yaaay! That's quite an achievement worth at least 4 gold stars and 3 medals if I only knew how to use my pad's emoticons. Seriously, well done :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes they do. Mine go up after a dog walk, and when I was wearing a Libre sensor, they rose considerably just doing the hoovering.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think it must depend on what kind of exercise as my levels drop between 1+1.5 points after a 40min walk. I use exercise along with diet to control my BG levels and have worked up to walking for my health (using 3min interval bursts of fast walking interspersed with normal brisk pace) every day. However,when I first started this a few months ago it raised my bs levels for a couple of hours then they dropped to under my starting levels. I would just keep at it Paula, the fitter we become the better for our general health as well as for our diabetes. I'm quite the convert to regular exercise now. Good luck

Reactions: 4 people