Yay to baking - just bought some soy flour!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Spurred on by the dreeeeeamy pancakes I had on Tuesday thanks to @ewelina's recipe I've just bought some soy flour for trying some other low carb recipes....

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cooking - and to a lesser extent, baking - are what I love to do the most, and it's what I spend most of my free time doing. I don't tend to do cakes and puddings really - well I do, but I don't eat them myself usually. However, there's a low carb cheesecake I make quite a bit, and since I've been using chia seeds there are lots of low carb things I didn't know were possible. Now I've found out from your recipes that there is such a thing as soy flour, nice and low in carbs, I can feel a cake coming on.....

Re low carbing - I came back from the gym after a 2.5hr exercise event they'd put on, and had a 3-egg spinach and cream cheese omelette for supper. Delicious, and I'm sugarly stable. Oh, and not in the least bit hungry.

Edited to say that I am by no means carb free, but I've cut down and have noticed an improvement in my control.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cooking - and to a lesser extent, baking - are what I love to do the most, and it's what I spend most of my free time doing. I don't tend to do cakes and puddings really - well I do, but I don't eat them myself usually. However, there's a low carb cheesecake I make quite a bit, and since I've been using chia seeds there are lots of low carb things I didn't know were possible. Now I've found out from your recipes that there is such a thing as soy flour, nice and low in carbs, I can feel a cake coming on.....

Re low carbing - I came back from the gym after a 2.5hr exercise event they'd put on, and had a 3-egg spinach and cream cheese omelette for supper. Delicious, and I'm sugarly stable. Oh, and not in the least bit hungry.

Edited to say that I am by no means carb free, but I've cut down and have noticed an improvement in my control.
I'm not a strict low carber but I tend to eat low carb meals on most days as it gives better control. Do you use chia seed in baking? So far Ive made only chocolate pudding and use it with the yogurt

Reactions: 2 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Snapsy what have you made? love hearing what things others are trying - great inspirations

P

paula.nolan42

I am delighted to hear that low-carb baking is possible with soy flour - I'd be keen to try something - I miss cake.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry - have been away from the forum for a bit so only just spotted these - hmmm, my original post had made it sound as if I use chia seed in everything - sorry to have been misleading! In fact - and ironically this is as far away from low-carb as one can imagine - I have only used it, alongside milled linseed, as a flour improver in homemade bread. You know when wholemeal bread is dry and doesn't rise nicely and is really solid? If you use linseed and chia seed in the flour, and add a little more water, you get high, airy bouncy loaves.

Apologies for self-hijacking own thread which was originally about low carb stuff!

If anyone enjoys baking bread but is frustrated by solid loaves, here's my recipe. And yes, I use a bread machine - this recipe works really well as a 5-hour bake:
200g strong white flour
200g strong wholemeal flour
10g milled linseed
10g milled chia seed
15g butter
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar
330ml water
1tsp fast-acting yeast

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I've baked using gluten-free flour in the past, I've sometimes added a bit of xantham gum. I wasn't sure at the idea of using something that sounded so 'chemically', so next time I'm baking using 'other' types of flour I'm going to try a spoonful of milled chia instead - perhaps that would be a really good 'bouncifier' for baking using soy flour, to avoid dryness.

Will report back in due course!

Tried your low-carb brownies on Wednesday, @ewelina - yummy....