Replacement Accu-Chek Aviva Combo or Insight?

smd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I am new to the forum but have used an insulin pump for many years. I was originally on the Medtronic Paradigm but for the last 4 years I have been on the Accu-Chek Combo. As the latter is coming to the end of its warranted life, I have been asked to choose between a new combo or the insight. Looking at the website the functionality seems largely the same, but the look and feel considerably different. It seems that the practical day to day use would therefore help me to make the decision.
It may seem odd but the thing I missed most about the Medtronic was the attached clip. All of the Roche belt clips have been extremely poor and I have never quite been happy with the way I carry the pump around. Also the new touch screen on the Insight looks good but it is a lot more to carry around once you add the bg sticks and finger pricker. I have heard that there isn't a proper case. I have to decide within the next few days so that the hospital can place the order.
Can anyone offer any advice? Has anyone chosen the Insight and wished they'd stayed with the combo?

Thanks in anticipation

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think combo is more reliable. There are many issues people report with insight and if you search the forum you will find a few threads on it.
My main issue is extremely slow insight handset. It also freezes sometimes without a reason so I ended up carrying spare meter everywhere with me.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i haven't had a problem with this insight but the first one i did. the handset it's self will be slow it has to send data load up ect but that's bareable. there's a clip case for the insight if you register online instead of £20 it's free witch is a little more stronger then the black clip they give you.

Other then that this is my first pump and with ther teething problems to begin with i'm happy with it, yes the slowness can be annoying at times but you just bare it haha.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Could you possibly get to see the insight and have a look at it in Clinic before you choose?

I am on the insight and same as above its my first pump so can't compare it to any others, I have the flip case and the normal case plus a body band pouch that I bought for £15 for the pump itself and the handset has its own pouch. The handset can be slow (it is not a mobile phone so I don't expect it to be as fast as one) but I find if I reboot it once a week it's not that bad

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
have used both combo and insight in a nutshell insight good PREFILLED cartridge not so many air bubbles if any ..
good tech inf on handset yes slow but you can get used to it .
first time today DROPPED IT ON ROAD getting out of car not broken phew lucky
combo good smaller but has the problem of air bubbles has bigger insulin fill longer battery life on handset and pump HAVE USED INSIGHT NOW FOR 6 MONTHS OVERALL VERY GOOD but needs a better case faster handset
plus good service from call centre and service centre
and one hell of lot of information to think may be going to use CLOUD for inf ref computer in next year or so
both pumps
vic over 50 years on insulin so some practical use to

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm hoping as it's only been out a year that this year pump cases/ ect will be more released for the insight =.=

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Insight is smaller than the Combo and weighs less. The insight manages multi bolus's which the combo cannot. The insight remembers the dose and bolus settings when you need to change a cartridge, battery, infusion set, the combo does not and you need to reset any bolus's.

The Insight handset is bit slower but it has to deal with working out multiple bolus's - I have got used to its speed.

The Insight is not bubble free, I do need to check once a day, normally in morning.

The Insight is much easier to operate via the handset or pump.

Others have posted issues with both pump and handset - it appears to me that the USB charging is not robust and if you plug it into a charger that is too powerful it causes it to report an error.

For me the Insight Pump battery lasts over a month, the handset about a week.

smd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks all for your comments. I suppose it's a case of what is more important. I wonder if the insight is still too new and later versions will be better. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.