Is Slimming World healthy and effective for those with diabetes?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I forgot to mention in my original post that I've also been able to halve the amount of insulin I need to inject.
Yes the same with the lady I mentioned in my first post she to said she had been able to reduce her insulin

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some people have already said there are adaptations in the SW diets to suit the person and what they need so maybe the low fat can be adapted to a bit higher for a diabetic if that's what they want to do
I think some people just need the whole group experience to help them to stick to an eating plan. Yes the support here is good but still some people have said they find keeping to LCHF difficult sometimes and have fallen off the wagon Nothing beats a face to face chat and a cup of tea with others doing the same thing as you to help you keep to it so I think that's when Slimming World or Weightwatchers can be a good thing

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at a range of diets as a type 2 when I decided to lose weight SW was one of them, I discounted it due to the low fat restrictiveness of it, the first choice I opted to try was the LCHF which worked for me, I was going to do a weekly sample of a few diets to see what suited me, however the LCHF worked so well I never got to try any others.

since Nov 2015 I've lost 14 kg and most of my long list of other medical conditions have cleared up or seen a major improvement my BG massively dropped over the past 3 months I've currently stopped all my diabetic medications and BG is 5-7 which when I started was running at between 22-30+
I use spices too fenugreek, cinnamon and turmeric, and have green smoothies.

I'd advise whatever diet is for you, that it shouldn't be one that is a chore and isn't something that will be unsustainable in the short to medium term. I've taken the no pasta, rice, potatoes and high starchy veg, but i can honestly say I've not missed any of them even to the degree I shop for treats for my girlfriend and it doesn't tempt me one bit to fall off the no sugar wagon.

I was at loggerheads with my GP, but they have seen how well this approach has worked, they are now fully onboard with it, I've dropped over 20 different medications for various ailments and now only take the essential 3 and as a result they are happy to supply as many test strips as I need.

Stallen that is absolutely wonderful! WELL DONE!!!

Derek's_wife

Most of the people answering your question have been insulin dependent or speaking about insulin dependents.

This means that they can use insulin to control their blood glucose levels.

If Derek is just on metformin to control his blood glucose (the beta blockers are for other stuff) then his blood glucose levels are nowhere near as well controlled as if he were injecting correct amounts of insulin - if he eats carbs.

Depending on the dose, metformin will lower average blood glucose by a couple of mmol/l, but it is unable to even out high spikes.

So really, it all depends on whether the Slimming World diet contains too many carbs for Derek's body to cope with. Even if he loses weight, the carbs and blood glucose spikes could harm him - if they are too high.

Does he have a blood glucose meter so he can test his body's blood glucose reaction to the diet?
No Brunneria, he doesn't have a blood sugar monitor. He was diagnosed diabetic with a reading of 54(average), which we understand is not massively high and was told not to measure his blood sugars at home as it isn't necessary.

He is on beta blockers and other medication, because he had a heart attack 18 months ago at the age of 51. He really needs to eat more healthily and lose weight to help with both conditions.

Derek's_wife

I have type 2 and was on three different medications for it, 18mths ago I weight 16st. I joined slimming world and for the first time in my life joined a gym and began to exercise now at 69 yrs old I am 11st 6lb and need no medication for my diabetes & I no longer have asthma, I swim 1/4 mile a day, do two aquarobic sessions a week, 1 hydrorider session, kettlebell, circuit and boxercise training and two or three structured gym session a week. Before I could not even get to the top of the stairs withour stopping. Whilst it hasn't cured my bladder cancer or thyroid problems it has certainly been totally effective on everything else. I really believe everyone diagnosed with type 2 should be trying Slimming world as it is not just a diet it is the lifestyle change we all need. I began my change of lifestyle feeling like a fat useless old woman I now feel and look years younger and am enjoying life again., I would advise you to join at the same time even if you only need to lose a pound or two so you can fully support him on his journey to better health. One of the good things about SW is once you reach your target weight and for as long as you stay within 3lbs of it you do not have to pay for the sessions, which gives you ongoing support for life..
It's fantastic to hear that you are doing so well. The biggest issue with my husband is motivation and tiredness after a 12 hr working day, but at least he is looking at the options now, so that is a start. I wish you well and admire your determination. Many thanks x Oh and I have offered to go with him, even though I am just within the healthy weight limits for my height.

Reactions: 2 people

susyq

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you all for your encouragement. I now have a self test kit. Wasnt told how often or when to do it so back to the surgery on Monday to see the nurse for help! And i start the educational course in March. Slimming World lady has given me 3 weeks off to see the nurse and try to work something out. To then go back to slimming world with some knowledge under my belt, so to speak. Thanks again guys. Xxxx

K

Kat100

Just to inspire ..
I met someone I know who works in a shop where I go ..
Within a few months over three stones she has lost , slimming world , I was so pleased for her ..

Reactions: 4 people

Adamski666

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic. I've been on SW for 3 weeks and have found it marvelous. I've already hit my 1/2 stone loss. The emphasis is on healthy eating, lots of vegetables and lean meat. The only portion controls are with things called healthy extras and syns. There's an abundance of so called free foods which you can eat to your heart's content.

I told the consultant that I am a diabetic and she gave me some leaflets specifically tailored to a diabetic diet. I'd really recommend them.

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I joined Slimming World in June 2015. I had been struggling to get my levels down and lose weight. My general health and energy levels were dreadful. So far I've lost 20lbs, I am halfway to my target weight. But the biggest change is in my health, no more headaches, aching joints, recurring infections etc. My target from my my diabetes nurse was 58, it had been 93 in September 2014, by September 2015 it was 49! They have already taken into account people with diabetes and all I can say is give it a go for at least 3 months. So as you are committed to it you will get results and you don't have to miss out on the foods that you love.

Did you eat the carbs though?

The freefood is mostly carbs and the syns include full fat things so Iam struggling

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you eat the carbs though?

The freefood is mostly carbs and the syns include full fat things so Iam struggling
The poster you are asking hasn't been around since 2016 so you probably won't get an answer.