Steroid induced diabetes

What advice do you have for steroid induced diabetes? I have received high doses of steroids for vasculitis although these are slowly being reduced I have now apparently developed type 2 diabetes. I am on gliclaside, sitagliptin and controlled diet. Sugar levels have come steadily down on these.

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, do u developed diabetes during ur treatment or after that? My son,five years old,apparently develop type 1 because of steroid treatment but his symptoms started showing after one year......

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. I was diagnosed with what was called "new onset diabetes" induced by steroid treatment post transplant. It developed into Type 2. My doctors (renal and diabetes consultants) refer to it as "steroid induced diabetes".

The bottom line is - whether caused or triggered by steroid treatment (there is debate), if the steroid treatment is less than a couple of months...blood sugar levels can sometimes return to normal a little while after treatment stops. For those stopping steroids after longer periods, it's much more likely that once diabetic..always diabetic. I may be on them for life, but am hoping not to be.

Advice is basic and valid - you will reduce levels by cutting out simple carbs and by getting onto a low carb diet. I stopped my Gliclazide after finding that it was diet which made the real difference. I find my only real spike now is for a few hours after I take my steroids, but it's much lower than it was. So - test with a meter before and a couple of hours after meals to figure out what works for you, get informed about what a low carb diet is (don't hesitate to ask), record the details...and act as if you got diabetes like anyone else. Hopefully, blood sugars can be well controlled with diet, with plenty of fluid and with decreasing doses of steroids. Fingers crossed - take control.

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi I had been on long term high dosage of steroids for several years and have developed Type2 diabetes as a consequence debatable I know. I have since stepped down my dosage to 15mg per day but getting of them altogether is quite problematic so may be on them for good. And doubt that the diabetes is temporary in my case.

As for advise the best I could do at this time is repeat pleinster's good advice.

And wish you good fortune.

Reactions: 2 people