FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am beginning to think I should have sent my current sensor back, as it constantly throws up unrealistic readings much lower than my finger pricking suggests and from where I expect to be. Too late now, it finishes in 2 hours!

whats worse is these bad sensors make the loverly software completely useless
as you cant edit out the bad so it screws all the statistics to the point im embarrassed to show people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
whats worse is these bad sensors make the loverly software completely useless
as you cant edit out the bad so it screws all the statistics to the point im embarrassed to show people

Just export out into Excel and edit the core data, then convert to graphs or charts at your will.

I've had a few wonky ones, but I'm not into a big show and tell, so I just take the ultra low HbA1c and so on as Abbott taunting me, and move on, as I would ignore a naughty sibling.

I don't use the sensors full time, and doubt you need to either, from what I recall of your stats, so surely, they are just a decent sense check that your bloods aren't running away or forming high spikes your missing due to the nature of finger prick testing, as our bodies become more efficient and the rises moderate in both height and duration.

Reactions: 2 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep :¬) I do like their software though they did a nice job on that :¬)

AnandaUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
f0nDtg4.png
I've just updated the MySugr app and you can now upload your Freestyle Libre data to it! Just export a txt file, log in to MySugr on your PC, go to 'Importer' then drag and drop the file. It shows up in the graph area at the top. If it's not showing, double tap on the graph and it will allow you to turn on CGM data. You'll need to update the app if you haven't done so very recently.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I stopped using the libre last year due to the skin reactions that have been mentioned on this thread regularly. I have run a search on this thread with no results for what I'm searching.

I've gone over six months without using them, and as I had two sensors left I tucked them in the cupboard to try again later. Having put one on a week ago, I'm finding there's currently no itchiness or marking.

Does anyone have any information as to whether Abbott have made any changes to the adhesive over the last 6 months. I know that quite a lot of us reported problems with them, but have seen nothing concrete on any changes.

My intention for now is to use a sensor every couple of months more as a basal check overnight than anything else, but may go back to full time if there isn't any skin reaction should I buy new sensors.

mickeyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Just a bit more of a rant! After finding my Libre very inacurate as per previous post on different thread my 2nd sensor has just fallen off after having a shower, this one lasted 4 days! ( 1st one lasted 9 days). On this ratio it would mean a new sensor every 6 days = £240 a month, which makes it prohibitively expensive to me.

Just some feedback if someone is thinking of shelling out for one and is borderline wether you can afford it, once again great idea and product, technology not quite up to it.

Also tried using it as a finger prick tester and the unit doesnt turn on when i insert the stick, then when i press the button on the fascia it doesnt go to blood testing.

I now wish i had spent some time researching and reading some of the reviews. I was on a DAFNE course recently and the Abbott rep came to show us, i was so amazed and excited about it i bought one immediately.

DOH !!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Just a bit more of a rant! After finding my Libre very inacurate as per previous post on different thread my 2nd sensor has just fallen off after having a shower, this one lasted 4 days! ( 1st one lasted 9 days). On this ratio it would mean a new sensor every 6 days = £240 a month, which makes it prohibitively expensive to me.

Just some feedback if someone is thinking of shelling out for one and is borderline wether you can afford it, once again great idea and product, technology not quite up to it.

Also tried using it as a finger prick tester and the unit doesnt turn on when i insert the stick, then when i press the button on the fascia it doesnt go to blood testing.

I now wish i had spent some time researching and reading some of the reviews. I was on a DAFNE course recently and the Abbott rep came to show us, i was so amazed and excited about it i bought one immediately.

DOH !!!

I hope you haven't thrown it out.
Just phone Abbott and explain. They are very good at replacing faulty sensors.

I always exfoliate my arm carefully 24 hours before applying a sensor, and then clean and dry it thoroughly (to get rid of any skin oils) before applying it.

So far, every sensor has been so well attached it has been uncomfortable to remove.

grant32

Got an email from Abbott today. Exciting news for those in Australia. I have recently moved here from the UK and am looking forward to being able to purchase locally (instead of shipping to a friend in the UK and then paying for postage here). This was from the email:

Abbott is pleased to confirm that the FreeStyle® Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System has been approved for use in Australia by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

FreeStyle Libre, which launched in Europe in October 2014, is the world's first flash glucose monitoring system, designed to help insulin-using Australian adults living with diabetes check their glucose quickly, discreetly and without the pain of routine finger pricking*.

Now that the TGA has approved the FreeStyle Libre Flash Glucose Monitoring System, Abbott can proceed with the next steps to bring the product to Australia, and is aiming to make FreeStyle Libre available for purchase to insulin-using Australian adults living with diabetes by mid-2016. www.freestylelibre.com.au.

jono80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got an email from Abbott today. Exciting news for those in Australia. I have recently moved here from the UK and am looking forward to being able to purchase locally (instead of shipping to a friend in the UK and then paying for postage here).

Good news! Hopefully they don't cost too much more and maybe even available through NDSS, but probably dreaming there!

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
@jackois

I recently tried one sensor without Compeed again, since I didn't get the sensors to work anymore with a plaster beneath it. After 7 days it was knocked off walking through a dooropening and I have to say there was again a bit of skin reaction (redness), while with Compeed I have no skin reaction at all. So I don't think they've changed the adhesive.

I put again Compeed under the sensor I'm wearing right now, but I made a small hole in the middle (like suggested by some forum members). It seems to work fine now. I'll report back if it prevented a skin reaction.

To people noticing differences between traditional meters and the Libre: the Libre reads a bit lower. I think that's on purpose, since a slightly lower reading can do less harm than a slightly higher reading (having you taking too much insulin).
If the Libre reads higher, mostly my bg is falling fast.

I rarely do blood tests anymore, except when I run out of sensors or when I start a new one. I use the Libre sensor and my own sense, if they do not match only than a blood test is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got informed I can buy 6 at a time now
dunno about that though no discount

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long do Abbott usually take to respond to an email support query? I would usually call them, but am going by email this time around.

Many thanks.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How long do Abbott usually take to respond to an email support query? I would usually call them, but am going by email this time around.

Many thanks.
Some might say months, others, never. Me? I've never tried!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some might say months, others, never. Me? I've never tried!

Thanks for the encouragement! Where's that poke in the eye emoticon?

I'll wait until after lunch, then email again (we're 4 hours behind here).

I'd normally call them, or Skype from here, but the atmospherics are rendering our internet connection very poor at the moment. I swear MrB's daughter could have heard with without Skype last night, such was his near-yelling down the receiver.

Oh well. The trials of crumblie life in the sun.......

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the encouragement! Where's that poke in the eye emoticon?

I'll wait until after lunch, then email again (we're 4 hours behind here).

I'd normally call them, or Skype from here, but the atmospherics are rendering our internet connection very poor at the moment. I swear MrB's daughter could have heard with without Skype last night, such was his near-yelling down the receiver.

Oh well. The trials of crumblie life in the sun.......
I did email them once - I had forgotten about it. I never received a response. I don't rate their email service highly at all. Sorry to tell you that. Since then I've always used the phone. One in the eye back for your sitting in the sun...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did email them once - I had forgotten about it. I never received a response. I don't rate their email service highly at all. Sorry to tell you that. Since then I've always used the phone. One in the eye back for your sitting in the sun...

I just did the Twitter thing. Let's see if that achieves anything.

Oh, I know how to live. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you tweet them your "dead" pic as well? :dead::dead::dead:

Obviously. :)

I'm not too good on Twitter. It seems like a black art to me. I can't actually find really good Abbott to follow, so I've just tweeted on #freestylelibre. Hopefully they'll be galvanised into something. I so hate a decent ignoring.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Obviously. :)

I'm not too good on Twitter. It seems like a black art to me. I can't actually find really good Abbott to follow, so I've just tweeted on #freestylelibre. Hopefully they'll be galvanised into something. I so hate a decent ignoring.
Tweet directly to @FreeStyleDiabet and @AbbottDiabetes with the #freestylelibre. That should get attention.