Brilliant wrap replacement!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You've got to make these! I found the recipe when I made pancakes on pancake day, but tweaked the recipe slightly to make chipatis and fajita wraps.

Here's the original recipe: https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-crepes/

I don't have coconut oil, so swapped it for sunflower oil. Dead easy to make. These are 100% a staple for me now, next to cauli rice and cauli mash.

For chipatis, put a tsp of dried fenugreek and a tsp of cumin seeds. For fajita wraps, put some coriander leafs in.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You've got to make these! I found the recipe when I made pancakes on pancake day, but tweaked the recipe slightly to make chipatis and fajita wraps.

I don't have coconut oil, so swapped it for sunflower oil. Dead easy to make. These are 100% a staple for me now, next to cauli rice and cauli mash.

For chipatis, put a tsp of dried fenugreek and a tsp of cumin seeds. For fajita wraps, put some coriander leafs in.
Thanks for sharing!

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Sam looks great I have printed the recipe off for our next low carb meeting thanks

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Going to try them tomorrow
Let me know it goes. Initially I made very small ones, but if you've got a good non-stick frying pan it can take up the whole diameter of it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I tried these today. They keep their shape well despite being very thin. I thought they were a bit eggy tasting unstuffed, but when I added the spicy filling the eggy taste was no longer noticeable. I would make them again. I think they might be good for making cannelloni as some recipes use pancakes instead of pasta.

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried these today. They keep their shape well despite being very thin. I thought they were a bit eggy tasting unstuffed, but when I added the spicy filling the eggy taste was no longer noticeable. I would make them again. I think they might be good for making cannelloni as some recipes use pancakes instead of pasta.
They are a tad eggy, but as you said, with filling, they're OK.

I love the idea of cannelloni! Perhaps they could be used in lasagne too?

S

Shar67

If you put the mixture in a cleaned out squeezy sauce bottle, you get better even pancakes

S

Shar67

You can also replace water with earl grey tea, fruit juice or add vanilla essence, million different ways to take eggy taste away.
Add in cinnamon, ginger or Turmeric. Add grated veg i.e carrots.
From Aldi's I bought lemon infused rapeseed oil and chilli infused rapeseed oil. Both are great for adding flavour to crepes when cooking.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thanks for this ! My husband has decided he wants to experiment with a paleo diet and they will be good for an occasional low carb treat for me - especially your chapati version.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waiting for some coconut flour to come then I will be trying them, I like the idea of using them as wraps one thing I really miss

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @SamJB will definitely give these a go!

Carb content can't be much?
I think there's 11g in the whole mixture.

To address the slightly eggy taste, I swapped an egg for a teaspoon of milled chia and it got rid of the eggy taste and gave them a better texture.

I had them again with fajitas last night...deffo a favourite for me now.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Made these tonight - I see what you mean by a little eggy but nevertheless very tasty. Just need to be patient in allowing them to cook properly and then they become much better!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Made these tonight - I see what you mean by a little eggy but nevertheless very tasty. Just need to be patient in allowing them to cook properly and then they become much better!
Yeah, that's the key, waiting until they're cooked. I've got a decent non-stick frying pan and wait until they start to brown and curl up at the edges before flipping.

What did you have with yours?

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, that's the key, waiting until they're cooked. I've got a decent non-stick frying pan and wait until they start to brown and curl up at the edges before flipping.

What did you have with yours?

Also got a good frying pan so made it much easier. Made fajitas and honestly probably tasted better than the packet stuff you buy in the shop lol. Bit of this, bit of that in with the chicken makes it great! Definitely will be making again.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, SamJB - thank you for this recipe! I made it last night and went with your suggestion of replacing one egg with a teaspoon of milled chia seeds (and added a cheeky teaspoon or so of fajita seasoning) and they were really lush. I had them with stir-fried smoked tofu with peppers and onions, served with homemade guacamole and creme fraiche. Can't believe how filling they were!

Next time, I'll add more spices to the mix, but I'm also going to try them as "lasagne" as well - intriguing!

Thanks again. :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, SamJB - thank you for this recipe! I made it last night and went with your suggestion of replacing one egg with a teaspoon of milled chia seeds (and added a cheeky teaspoon or so of fajita seasoning) and they were really lush. I had them with stir-fried smoked tofu with peppers and onions, served with homemade guacamole and creme fraiche. Can't believe how filling they were!

Next time, I'll add more spices to the mix, but I'm also going to try them as "lasagne" as well - intriguing!

Thanks again. :happy:
Haha, great, I'm glad you like them! They are really filling, but low calorie as well. I love the sound of what you put in them!