Care Sens - N, inaccurate BG readings

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Last month I switched, again, from my Roche Accu-chek aviva meter, to my CareSens-N meter. (Change of country = change of which meter and test strips are subsidized.) I immediately noticed higher than expected readings. As I had had a bad experience previously, with inaccurate readings from my CareSens-N meter, I did a dual reading (using my very last accu-chek test strip - last available, and last subsidized one at least!). Accu-chk = 5.5, CareSens = 6.6. This is the same difference that I had been noticed before, a year or so previously, checked at a medical centre in Sweden, against that practice's very reliable BG meter. (They also had an HBA1c reading device. The Accu-chek readings matched the HBA1c readings, over time.) (When I had used the CareSens meter, my BG readings and the subsequent HBA1c did not match up.)

Aotearoa/NZ changed over from the Accu-chek meter to the CareSens maybe in 2013-2014? As the subsidized meter of choice. Many diabetics were most upset (according to some feedback postings found online), as they enjoyed a high level of security and customer support with the Roche accu-chek meters. Especially, from T1 diabetics, as one can imagine.

The practice nurse at my doctor's office in NZ and I did an experiment. I tested my CareSens-N, and she tested with the practice CareSens-N, and I had my blood tested as part of a blood lipids test at a lab within 15 mins.
My Care-Sens = 7.2
Nurse's Care-Sens = 8.1 (same droplet of blood)
Lab's spot BG reading = 6.5

Additionally, for a month (previous to this post) I made adjustments (of approx 1.1 point lower) from my CareSens reading to get what I thought would be a more accurate reading, and predicted my HBA1c on that prediction - which turned out to be spot-on correct.

Anybody else have experiences of the CareSens meters - good or bad or neutral?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Reactions: 2 people

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been reading another thread in this Blood glucose meter reading forum, and read a couple of links, and see that the degree of inaccuracy is more than likely in the test strips - not the actual meter. One of the articles referred to:

http://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/why-meters-cant-tell-us-our-blood-sugar-levels#1

Apparently, accu-chek test strips are particularly accurate! At least in my experience.
Yes I concur that accu chek aviva is accurate, i've used Carsens, Truyou, One touch verio and all have been significantly different from Aviva. With 300 tests a month I can predict my Hba1c accurately, however with the other meters on average they'd be 10% higher than the Aviva so guaranteed you'll be that far out in estimating any form of reliable Hba1c.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many thanks @PseudoBob77 for your input! 10% out seems to be the (un!) magical difference.

I will continue to adjust my CareSens readings by lowering them by 10% in my records then (so far so good). And if it gets to the stage where my country no longer wants me to be a "selected individual" with subsidised test strips (and meters), and I have to pay, then I will go back to using my much-missed Roche Accu-chek Aviva instead.

skkim

Last month I switched, again, from my Roche Accu-chek aviva meter, to my CareSens-N meter. (Change of country = change of which meter and test strips are subsidized.) I immediately noticed higher than expected readings. As I had had a bad experience previously, with inaccurate readings from my CareSens-N meter, I did a dual reading (using my very last accu-chek test strip - last available, and last subsidized one at least!). Accu-chk = 5.5, CareSens = 6.6. This is the same difference that I had been noticed before, a year or so previously, checked at a medical centre in Sweden, against that practice's very reliable BG meter. (They also had an HBA1c reading device. The Accu-chek readings matched the HBA1c readings, over time.) (When I had used the CareSens meter, my BG readings and the subsequent HBA1c did not match up.)

Aotearoa/NZ changed over from the Accu-chek meter to the CareSens maybe in 2013-2014? As the subsidized meter of choice. Many diabetics were most upset (according to some feedback postings found online), as they enjoyed a high level of security and customer support with the Roche accu-chek meters. Especially, from T1 diabetics, as one can imagine.

The practice nurse at my doctor's office in NZ and I did an experiment. I tested my CareSens-N, and she tested with the practice CareSens-N, and I had my blood tested as part of a blood lipids test at a lab within 15 mins.
My Care-Sens = 7.2
Nurse's Care-Sens = 8.1 (same droplet of blood)
Lab's spot BG reading = 6.5

Additionally, for a month (previous to this post) I made adjustments (of approx 1.1 point lower) from my CareSens reading to get what I thought would be a more accurate reading, and predicted my HBA1c on that prediction - which turned out to be spot-on correct.

Anybody else have experiences of the CareSens meters - good or bad or neutral?

Hello,
I've been using CareSens N POP and also used Accu-Chek before. I did notice a difference in results when I used both of them. When I asked i-sens(the manufacturer) Customer Service, I received following answers.
1. You shouldn't compare meters since all companies have different technology.
2. If you want to compare, you need to find a lab where they have YSI, basically the most accurate measuring machine for blood glucose and lactate. If YSI and your Caresens N is way off, then something's wrong with Caresens N.
3. If you consecutively witness "abnormal" results, you can always contact the customer service possibly for free replacement.
4. Lower or Higher results don't necessarily one is better than the other unless incredibly strange difference.

Hope this helps!

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also if you do enough blood tests 6-10 a day you can accurately predict your Hba1c, however my accu chek meters fall in line with my Hba1c results, where as Caresens, Truyou, One Touch Vario had significantly higher or lower results. If your 90day average is way out of your lab result then you'll know for certain.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes - I can see how you would need to do about 6-10 readings a day to accurately predict your HBA1c - at least at first. After time, and keeping good eat-and-meter, and motion-and-meter records, at least as a T2? You can come up with good ball-park estimates of your BGs (all things being roughly equal), that pretty closely align with your HBA1c.But yes, for the meter-averages to be applicable one does need to test throughout the day for sure. (Thanks @PseudoBob77 - I am not a natural with numbers, and I hadn't thought that through - so good to have it pointed it out!)

I have just bitten the bullet and paid and sent for Accu chek Aviva test strips. My care sens tested at 8.0 this morning's FBG after 24-hour fasting the day before! Very strange reading, and 'strange' perfectly co-incided with new test strips. (Always the moment when I feel relief, or frustration - 'will this batch of test strips give me reasonable readings?' The answer with the latest batch - highly unlikely!) The whole day's readings seemed to be very likely about 10% out, judging from a couple of years experience. What's new? In other words.

I don't think I understand Care Sens customer service saying not to compare meter readings @skkim. It seems a reasonable way to check accuracy. But next time I am getting a blood test I can test with my Care Sens, and my Accu Chek just prior to it and compare with the Lab spot BG test. Always interesting in my book!

But I want accuracy when I am doing a big experiment on myself. For instance - I am planning another experiment some time soon (ish) and I will definitely use my Accu Chek and pay for the test strips, as the results are so important to me. (And it will be only a 2-week experiment.After that I can use the Accu chek just to adjust the Care Sens readings with.)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ordered new accu chek strips. End of the day checked my BG with the CareSens-N - 6.9. Not a good 3 hours post meal reading at all. Especially as this morning was a fasting morning. Delightedly, I opened up a pottle of accu-chek strips newly arrived by post - 5.5. Whew! (And that's more like it!)

The last pottle of CareSens strips I opened, exactly then, I was getting outrageously high readings that didn't make sense - 8.0, 7.7 for my FBGs. I saw strokes, kidney transplants, neuropathy etc in my future. Now I see good BG control. (That is how important an accurate blood glucose meter is!)

Bless Roche! And my Aviva meter. Let's just say I am growling at CareSens. (What a shame I can't get Roche strips on prescription in this part of the world!) Sorry Korea - in this case, for my blood - Germany wins!