muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi All

I'm in week 7 of the Newcastle diet and the results have been very good Week Six BG average 4.9 Weightloss 27lb. I know there are many here that have completed the diet and others that are nearing the end. I have no preconceptions about what I will and won't do next but still need to lose at least the same again. I have seen a bit here on 5:2 and also Keto and LCHF but would really appreciate your experiences both successful and not so I can consider them in determining what I believe will work for me!
I have certainly decided that low carb will be part of my diet moving forward but I am also interested in what your definition of Low Carb is perhaps in Grams per day.

Thanks

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Bluetit1802

I must find out how to tag

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @Indy51
I hadn't seen this and its a great guide

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I'm in week 7 of the Newcastle diet and the results have been very good Week Six BG average 4.9 Weightloss 27lb. I know there are many here that have completed the diet and others that are nearing the end. I have no preconceptions about what I will and won't do next but still need to lose at least the same again. I have seen a bit here on 5:2 and also Keto and LCHF but would really appreciate your experiences both successful and not so I can consider them in determining what I believe will work for me!
I have certainly decided that low carb will be part of my diet moving forward but I am also interested in what your definition of Low Carb is perhaps in Grams per day.

Thanks

My comments would be to ensure you have a plan, before you make changes. Those of us who have been around a while have seen several folks who plan to just finish the diet, which turns out, in practise, to mean they pretty much revert to pre-diet eating styles and patterns. A very small minority can do this, but very few.

Coming off such a restrictive eating plan will inevitably bring thoughts of "little experiments", which are fine, provided they don't all join up into a carb-fest. Keeping the weight off is critical in most cases, to keeping the blood numbers down.

I didn't do the ND, but I did trim up quite quickly - it just happened for me when I cut my carbs back. As I understand it, the ND isn't a time limited eating plan, so whatever you consider, please ensure you consider carrying on a little longer - provided you are well and fit, and need to drop further poundage. That's no recommendation, but it is a simple solution to the what's next question. Once you near your target weight, then you could consider your long term maintainable regime.

If you've been using shakes, you could consider an ND variant, using real food, such as @Andrew Colvin did with incredible results.

Good luck with it all. Don't forget, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

captainlynne

Dr Michael Mosley's 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet is 800 calories a day, low carb, Mediterranean-style eating. Prof Taylor (of the NCD) and his research is mentioned many times in the book, and he is happy for folk to lose weight using real food. I'm just at the end of the 8 weeks and to date have lost 28 pounds, my fasting BG has gone from 10.9 to in the 5s, with the occasional 6. I've list 9 inches from my waist, and dropped one, almost two, dress sizes.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What I did after my initial phase was slowly increase my calories over the next months to slow the weightloss. At times I increased it further to maintain a level for a while and then went back t olosing weight by lowering calories again. Within the year I dropped 5 stone (nearly 30% of my diagnostic weight and double the 15% threshold that Prof Taylor seems to have noticed)

captainlynne

Thanks Mafat - diagnosed T2 in 2009. Diet controlled, but the threat of Metformin was the kick I needed to try this plan. Fortunately my Diabetes Nurse is supportive and monitoring me monthly in case BP meds need reducing (at last check BP read low!). I've lost over 10% of my starting weight and BMI dropped from 40.9 to 36.2. Still a long way to go, but I'm on the journey.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My comments would be to ensure you have a plan, before you make changes. Those of us who have been around a while have seen several folks who plan to just finish the diet, which turns out, in practise, to mean they pretty much revert to pre-diet eating styles and patterns. A very small minority can do this, but very few.

Coming off such a restrictive eating plan will inevitably bring thoughts of "little experiments", which are fine, provided they don't all join up into a carb-fest. Keeping the weight off is critical in most cases, to keeping the blood numbers down.

I didn't do the ND, but I did trim up quite quickly - it just happened for me when I cut my carbs back. As I understand it, the ND isn't a time limited eating plan, so whatever you consider, please ensure you consider carrying on a little longer - provided you are well and fit, and need to drop further poundage. That's no recommendation, but it is a simple solution to the what's next question. Once you near your target weight, then you could consider your long term maintainable regime.

If you've been using shakes, you could consider an ND variant, using real food, such as @Andrew Colvin did with incredible results.

Good luck with it all. Don't forget, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
@AndBreathe
Thanks for the response. I totally agree that I don't just finish the diet and with your suggestion to have a plan in place and if not perhaps maintain the diet until I do

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What I did after my initial phase was slowly increase my calories over the next months to slow the weightloss. At times I increased it further to maintain a level for a while and then went back t olosing weight by lowering calories again. Within the year I dropped 5 stone (nearly 30% of my diagnostic weight and double the 15% threshold that Prof Taylor seems to have noticed)
Thanks @Andrew Colvin
They are amazing results you have achieved and maintained. When you were increasing your carbs slowly did you have a cap or upper level for Carbs. Or were your changes guided by your weight or BG levels?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @Andrew Colvin
They are amazing results you have achieved and maintained. When you were increasing your carbs slowly did you have a cap or upper level for Carbs. Or were your changes guided by your weight or BG levels?

yes 1lb of liquorice in any one sitting was my limit ;)

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Mafat - diagnosed T2 in 2009. Diet controlled, but the threat of Metformin was the kick I needed to try this plan. Fortunately my Diabetes Nurse is supportive and monitoring me monthly in case BP meds need reducing (at last check BP read low!). I've lost over 10% of my starting weight and BMI dropped from 40.9 to 36.2. Still a long way to go, but I'm on the journey.
Good point about improving (dropping) BP, may need watching for those on antihypertensive medications as doses may need reducing if there is significant weight loss.
This can show itself as feeling dizzy on getting up.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for all your feedback. I have one week remaining and then my plan is to do the following
  1. First two weeks drop evening shakes and vegetables and add evening meal up to 600 calories(low carb) Total Daily Calories 1000 (measure BG's and weight if all good move on to Step 2)
  2. Drop morning shake and add breakfast 600 Calories low Carb. Total Daily Calories to 1400.(measure BG's and weight if all good move on to Step 3)
  3. Drop lunch shake and add 400 Calories low Carb and Morning and Afternoon Tea 100 Calories each Total Daily Carbs 1800
The plan then is to maintain low carb 1800 calories until goal weight is achieved. Back up is to introduce 2 Fasting days if required

nothing56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Plan was to go from VLCD to LCHF. My logic was that since both diets use Ketosis it should be easer to switch. I found that i had about 2 weeks of no weight loss after the transition but then i started to loose again. Take a look at my graph and you can see where i switched.

I'm not doing anything special. My basic LCHF diet is to mostly keep to food thats <10g of carbs per 100g and to ad extra fat, i.e butter to things like veg.

Only thing i would say is that i found i got used to the feeling of loosing weight quickly. So switching to a diet that at lease 50% slower can feel a little frustrating at time. But TBH i find LCHF so easy after the VLCD that its not like being on a diet at all. Which i suspect is the key. Finding a way of eating that allows you to manage your weight. For me once i hit my target weigh i just up the portion size and i should be stable.

1y.png

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@nothing56

Hey thanks for that. they are great results. I think our starting points and goal range are very similar. I would be very happy to replicate your results to date. How much does exercise play part?

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@muzza3 It's easy to tag. Simply press your @ key and add the person's user name. :)

Ooh I've learned something new today . I've been on here for ages , seen the @ sign and didn't realise it was a tag lol.
Feel a bit daft now lol