Tired, sick, hypo and at work :(

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Feeling so low and don't know where else to post. In 1st trimester (8w3d) and feeling exhausted. Have been nauseated all morning (not been sick), and now onto my second hypo of the day - it's not even lunchtime! I only work part time at this job, and had a day's annual leave at the start of the week for our 8week scan, so today is the only day that I'm actually working here this week. I want to curl up and cry until I fall asleep.

Just wanting a rant, and some motivation or support please. x x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had loads of hypos early on. Sometimes I'd be at work and get through so many sweets and biscuits. I felt I'd never get my blood sugar up and get it to stay up. I found the mornings were usually the worse time, but I could have hypos all day to varying extents.

The lows will be making you tired and possibly tearful too. All I can advise is test lots and lots and keep hypo treatments plus carbs nearby. I knowit's not easy eating when you feel nauseous so you'll have to experiment with what works best for you. I found dextrose tablets gross so had fruity sweets that not only helped the hypo but relieved the nausea a little too.

Make sure your work and colleagues know how,you're feeling and that you might hypo more often.

It will get better :)

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya assume work know your pregnant? You get paid time off for ante natals is not take leave although understand might be difficult if you are part time.
I know how you feel felt sooo ill with my twins and had about 5 lucozades on my desk for the hypos. It's a trauma!!
All I can say it is worth it even though every day is hard.
Hopefully you can rest or relax a little this weekend xx

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
In two of my pregnancies i felt nauseous and in one i vomited. I found the vomiting easier as i could eat. Are you on a pump or injections? Be careful to make adjustments to try and reduce hypos. I had some really bad ones at that stage. The good news is for most people it does get better around 12 weeks although it feels like forever at the time. The hypos should also start to decrease then. Find the food you can eat and stick to it. Don't worry about the baby-they're designed to survive this stage! I hope it ends soon.

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the support ladies, I really needed it on Friday! I ended up leaving work early (felt like I couldn't cope) and telling them my news. Over the weekend I developed a cough/cold, which feels like it's moved into my chest - Dr suggested taking a few days off to rest so I will just be in tomorrow.

Still plagued with hypos (but post prandial spikes too?!) so have had to eliminate my basal and adjust my ratios. Going to my diabetes pregnancy clinic next week so hopefully they can confirm I'm doing the right thing/advise me on what to do. X x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aww you have my sympathy @Erin85 I had awful morning sickness (that lasted all day) I also relied on fruity sweets like azure as they seemed to help the sickness and the hypo, for me it didn't ease until 16weeks. I had to massively reduce my insulin but still hypo'd just not quite as much, I've had to be off work a few times as I've struggled with some of the hypo's, morning sickness, caught a bug, and now been diagnosed with HG after a spell in hospital but I just keep telling myself it will all be worth it! We've all been through it so post when ever you need a pick me up the support I've had in her so far in my pregnancy has helped me massively! Xx

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much @Mrsass , although not nice to hear you've not been having much fun either, it is comforting to know that we're not alone! I hope the HG is cope-able and you haven't needed any other stints in hospital!
Has been so good to have all your support, especially on the down days. Thank you :) x x

Reactions: 2 people