Rant

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys I have had a terrible 48 hours with my diabetes and really just wanted to rant my utter confusion on here.

So yesterday morning I wake feeling high I take correction and eat something slow releasing and put units in for it. 2 hours later I'm 17, an hour later I'm 18 I put Lantus in (I'm on a pump so follow one hour rule) 6 units. I move to 10 in the next hour or so yay I think. My sites due to change so I change it the next 6-8 hours I move between 17-21 I change site area three times ( one because one site is a fault) I put in a total of 8 humalog and a further 14 Lantus. Does not budge. I have the first level of keytones on the stick but I do move back to normal in an hour. By 3am I finally get to 15, by 5am I'm 8 and by 10am today I'm 2.0. I think have some hypo issues twice through today which I reduced insulin and reduced how much to take to try to combat it but it doesn't work.

I've spent the day realising not only could I have been in hospital last night,there is no logical reason to what happened, I have had such bad headaches I can't turn he light on without pain( which is normal when my headaches get bad) I'm fed up of water and Coke. I have had to miss a days income (self employed) and I'm just bummed out!!!

End of rant, thanks

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Fayefaye1429 as a type 2 I`m sorry that I can offer you nothing but sympathy, but it`s sincere! I know it won`t make you feel better but I hope things work out for you sooner rather than later. Chris x.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys I have had a terrible 48 hours with my diabetes and really just wanted to rant my utter confusion on here.

So yesterday morning I wake feeling high I take correction and eat something slow releasing and put units in for it. 2 hours later I'm 17, an hour later I'm 18 I put Lantus in (I'm on a pump so follow one hour rule) 6 units. I move to 10 in the next hour or so yay I think. My sites due to change so I change it the next 6-8 hours I move between 17-21 I change site area three times ( one because one site is a fault) I put in a total of 8 humalog and a further 14 Lantus. Does not budge. I have the first level of keytones on the stick but I do move back to normal in an hour. By 3am I finally get to 15, by 5am I'm 8 and by 10am today I'm 2.0. I think have some hypo issues twice through today which I reduced insulin and reduced how much to take to try to combat it but it doesn't work.

I've spent the day realising not only could I have been in hospital last night,there is no logical reason to what happened, I have had such bad headaches I can't turn he light on without pain( which is normal when my headaches get bad) I'm fed up of water and Coke. I have had to miss a days income (self employed) and I'm just bummed out!!!

End of rant, thanks
I have a friend on a pump, and he has troublr with blocked cannula. Moving site does not clear it, and he needs to replace the line completely. But then again, he sometimes gets unexplained highs. Have you seen the posting about T1D and insulin resistance causing problems with high protein and high fat meals. My friend is bolusing for these now, and seems to have less peaks.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi thank you for your lovely posts I appreciate the comments.
I thought maybe the resistance but I tend to be incredibly sensitive to it, so they ruled it out. With my pump I have no line to replace as it's an omi pod so moving sites is my only option but I sympathise with your friend as I use to have a pump similar to his and replacing the line appears to be common need

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Fayefaye, must admit to being totally confused by your post. Why are you on Lantus and using a pump? Lantus is a basal and pumpers only use bolus insulin. Hope you are feeling better though.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have to agree with CarbsRok on this one. I don't understand what you are using the lantus for? On the pump, you should be using Novorapid in the pump and there shouldn't be any Lantus involved at all. In order to bring a glucose level down, I'd expect you to be using a larger dose of Novorapid. If you have given yourself a large dose of Lantus and are still pumping at the same time, please be very careful over the longer period, as the Lantus is likely to cause delayed hypos.

Reactions: 2 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeh I understand what your saying tim. My pump was not working and have been instructed by my nurse to do that if this was to occur. I'm just going on medical advise

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Fi
Yeh I understand what your saying tim. My pump was not working and have been instructed by my nurse to do that if this was to occur. I'm just going on medical advise

Didn't you say you put it in the pump?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What do you mean the pump was not working? Surely if you have a faulty pump it's replaced and you go on to MDI until a replacement comes you do not use both at the same time. If that's what you did you are very lucky to be still here.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No it's not in the pump. I simply replaced my pump site three times. It didn't work so the. Off with pump and on to pens. Does that clear it all?

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before I'm corrected. I have been told to do this by medical team. If you disagree fine but take it up with the medical profession. I use my pump but it's technology and it doesn't always work and I have been on the end of a nasty fault in a pump that gave no warning. I simply replace the site if it appears not to be working try again if it further doesn't penning it. I simply was letting out my upset. I wasn't looking for solutions or told what to do I just simply wanted to say.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I'm corrected. I have been told to do this by medical team. If you disagree fine but take it up with the medical profession. I use my pump but it's technology and it doesn't always work and I have been on the end of a nasty fault in a pump that gave no warning. I simply replace the site if it appears not to be working try again if it further doesn't penning it. I simply was letting out my upset. I wasn't looking for solutions or told what to do I just simply wanted to say.
I.E. just Rant, as it says on the tin.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's ok I and others didn't understand what you were saying. So yes replacing the pump with MDI is the correct thing to do.

As you were still in a complete mess regarding high numbers and then the crash to me it would very much point to basal problem.
I used have this problem I would be set and steady with my basal then almost at a drop of a hat I would suddenly need massive and I mean massive amounts of extra basal. This worked out to be a very deep rooted infection. Now surgery has cleared out the infection I do not have this problem anymore. Like you I would pump in all this extra insulin then watch as my sensor then dipped with blood sugars in hot pursuit, meaning I had to then make sure I had a bottle of glucose drink at the ready.
I used to blame the pump and cannulas to start with until it sunk in that it was me with the problem and not the pump.

Hope you are feeling better now (((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))