Freestyle libre rant

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can some kind soul tell me how I can order the Freestyle Libre Starter Pack. Tried many times on phone and on line without any success. Scream

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Himtoo. Success. A BIG THANK YOU for the link reFreestyle Libre. I even had an email from Abbot after my rant to them yesterday. I have ordered one and await delivery. Cheers

Reactions: 2 people

mickeyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was wondering how are you getting on with libre? I ve had mine a week, the readings are so inacurate i cant trust it. I had a reading of 18.6 and tested on my bg star and freestyle meter ( finger pricks) and they read 12.1 and 13 respectively. After seeing this i have been comparing a lot and it seems to have completely different readings even taking into account libre is 4.5 mins behind. I felt low took my libre reading at 6.3 finger prick was 3.8. Worrying. Then i knocked my sensor off walking past a door after a week. I was so looking forward to using this but i couldnt trust it. Great idea but think technology is nt quite up to it yet. Really want it to work as i am very active at work and play and would be life changing if i could trust it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi
I was wondering how are you getting on with libre? I ve had mine a week, the readings are so inacurate i cant trust it. I had a reading of 18.6 and tested on my bg star and freestyle meter ( finger pricks) and they read 12.1 and 13 respectively. After seeing this i have been comparing a lot and it seems to have completely different readings even taking into account libre is 4.5 mins behind. I felt low took my libre reading at 6.3 finger prick was 3.8. Worrying. Then i knocked my sensor off walking past a door after a week. I was so looking forward to using this but i couldnt trust it. Great idea but think technology is nt quite up to it yet. Really want it to work as i am very active at work and play and would be life changing if i could trust it.

If you go and look at the various sources of information, you'll see a couple of things relating to your post:

1. When your blood glucose level is moving fast, you generally see significant differences between Libre and bloods. A 6.3 and vertical down arrow when you have a blood test of 3.8 would be a case in point where it knows it is moving fast but hasn't caught up yet. Likewise, when it goes high.

2. At high readings (and 12 and 13 are high) then it tends to over-read. This is again systemic and virtually all users report this behaviour.

3. The most useful aspect of it is not the point in time readings. It is the trend information. Knowing how fast your blood glucose level rises in response to food and when your insulin kicks in. Whether you stay flat when fasted overnight or you rise and when that occurs. At what point dawn phenomenon kicks in. All of this is hugely useful data regardless of the actual value you are looking at.

I do think that Abbott's tagline of "no more fingerpricking" us misleading, but if you treat it as a Continuous Glucose recorder rather than a fingerprick replacer, it's an incredibly useful tool.

Reactions: 7 people

mickeyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Just a bit more of a rant! After finding my Libre very inacurate as per previous post, my 2nd sensor has just fallen off after having a shower, this one lasted 4 days! ( 1st one lasted 9 days).

Just some feedback if someone is thinking of shelling out for one and is borderline wether you can afford it, once again great idea and product, technology not quite up to it.

Also tried using it as a finger prick tester and the unit doesnt turn on when i insert the stick, then when i press the button on the fascia it doesnt go to blood testing.

I now wish i had spent some time researching and reading some of the reviews. I was on a DAFNE course recently and the Abbott rep came to show us, i was so amazed and excited about it i bought one immediately.

DOH !!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@mickeyb, while you might be fed up of it, report all issues to Abbott. They can and will replace what is needed.

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my 2nd sensor go faulty after 2days of wearing it. called Abbott up and they sent a replacement sensor no hassles at all. They just asked for the old sensor to be returned in the provided return envelope so they could analyse it.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre freestyle
Hi Himtoo. It is all systems go with my new Libre Freestyle. A bit disappointed with the quality of the Reader. Very happy I have got it at long last. Thanks once again for letting me have the link info. gemma

TeamHard2017

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How can this wonderful system need us to pay for the sensors since having it it has helped me loads the NHS are mad not providing us with this system and it can only get better

TeamHard2017

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre freestyle
Hi Himtoo. It is all systems go with my new Libre Freestyle. A bit disappointed with the quality of the Reader. Very happy I have got it at long last. Thanks once again for letting me have the link info. gemma

Why are u disappointed with the quality of the reader???