Potassium

kaz159

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I ave had 2 slighty elevated potassium blood tests been told to reduce ramipril but am so scared its kidney failure

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
why, what brings you to this conclusion? Is your doctor worried? You need to discuss it with your doctor

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had elevated potassium when I started on Ramipril. Now I am on a low dose and everything is fine. Never had a bad result from kidney tests. Best to talk to your doctor as Andrew says.

Dark Horse

Raised potassium levels is a common side-effect of ramipril. Different people need different doses of the drug. Hopefully reducing your dose of ramipril will bring your potassium levels back to normal while still having its desired effect on blood pressure. If your GP had suspected problems with your kidneys they would have ordered specific blood tests for this.

Some info on ramipril:- http://patient.info/medicine/ramipril-an-ace-inhibitor-tritace

kaz159

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Raised potassium levels is a common side-effect of ramipril. Different people need different doses of the drug. Hopefully reducing your dose of ramipril will bring your potassium levels back to normal while still having its desired effect on blood pressure. If your GP had suspected problems with your kidneys they would have ordered specific blood tests for this.

Some info on ramipril:- http://patient.info/medicine/ramipril-an-ace-inhibitor-tritace
Thanx

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that my artificial sweetner was affecting my electolyte balance. In my case it was sodium depletion, but my potassium levels were actually low too. Changed my sweetner from Aspartame to Sucralose, and blood test results are normal again.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on ramipril for years... well definitely since 2005. I'm currently taking 3.75mg (that's 1.5 of the 2.5mg tabs). I just got told I'm not to take any potassium supplements or supplements that have potassium added (pretty much all the multi-vitamins I can't take). Every time I'm checked they say I've plenty of potassium in my blood but they're not concerned about it. My docs keep regular checks on me anyhow because I'm on a few meds for various things. You should be ok, but best to speak to your doc about it.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my full blood count printout today and can say that my potassium level is the low end of normal. phew. So the ramipril isn't making it too high for me.