Help needed for RH.

toonerwife

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I've been diagnosed with RH and am struggling with the GI diet I'm three years post gastric bypass help needed

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been diagnosed with RH and am struggling with the GI diet I'm three years post gastric bypass help needed

Hi,
Welcome to our unique club!

A low GI diet may be too many carbs for control and that's probably why you feel awful.
Do read our thread. It has some great information and ask as many questions as you can think of, we will help you through this!

toonerwife

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi Ive just had my medication changed to bydureon injection as well as diazoxide three times a day the bydureon is something new the hospital is trying for RH any advice

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will put out a call for @nosher8355

Afraid I know NOTHING about medicating RH because I have always just used diet, but noshy has done some reading on it, and is on meds himself.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Ive just had my medication changed to bydureon injection as well as diazoxide three times a day the bydureon is something new the hospital is trying for RH any advice

The meds you have been put on is to slow your digestion up and help improve the release of sugar into your blood.
It does say that you will have to give the bydureon time to work. It works in a similar way to my meds, it (believe it or not) increase your insulin output but slows the dumping of the glucose, so you don't get the hyper. Then the hypo.
The meds I'm on is a gliptin inhibitor called sitagliptin and this has worked so well, I couldn't be happier with it.
Not only is, my consultant, doing a science paper, but the pharmaceutical company is doing extensive trials on how sitagliptin works so well for RH!

But despite the meds, there is better control you can get and that is a very low carb diet. I've been on one now for nearly two years and I am so fit and healthy.
I do know that it's recommended for someone after surgery to eat little and often, so the combination of eat small meals regularly and very low carb will work.

It is not the big sacrifice, that you think. There are some great things that you can eat and its really healthy, I mean really healthy. Today I've had gammon and eggs, a curry, roast pork with a nice salad. Didn't touch my blood glucose levels!!!

You can only try it!

My meds help me but it is my diet that is giving me my life back.

Hope this helps!

toonerwife

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi I've got another question can u eat the following porridge oats that u add milk and microwave and crackers that u put cream cheese and stuff on and fresh pineapple I'm getting ****** off with what I can and can't eat trying to find out what triggers the hypos either food or something else

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I've got another question can u eat the following porridge oats that u add milk and microwave and crackers that u put cream cheese and stuff on and fresh pineapple I'm getting ****** off with what I can and can't eat trying to find out what triggers the hypos either food or something else
Hi again, the sensible answer is if you have tested what it does to you, then yes or no.
But I've not come across someone who has. Porridge is poison to me, crackers send me crackers and pineapples are so nice but so nasty!
But then again, I'm not trying to confuse you, honest. Pineapple should be ok if you had one slice of fresh not tinned. As a small bite should only raise a little.
Milk is another problem area for me as I can't touch it with a barge pole, I've never had it! Butter, cream make me vomit! But full fat should be good for us, dairy wise.

You have to experiment with your blood glucose meter, I know it's difficult and a minefield, but you have to find out what is good and bad.
Test before, then two hours after, you should not be more than two mmols higher. If you are something is not good.
I recommend good meat and salad veg, eggs and full fat dairy.
The low carb forum is full of recipes and ideas, even some treats.
I know what makes me feel good and I eat them.
I resist the temptation to eat the very nice carbs, cos I know what they do to me and I don't want to live there!

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
thanks i will try that testing before and two hrs after and see whats what

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
im gonna do this test on nearly everything as im at the hospital at end of march i just want a simple life took me along time to loose the weight (14stone) im not gonna give up just want to get on with my life

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done on the weight loss!
Getting the knowledge of what happens when you eat something is very important to us. You have to learn how it affects you.
Let us know how you are doing, and we will help you along if we can.

And yeah, a lot of being strong willed will help get control.
Control is the key for us. Carbs are baddies!

toonerwife

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi all I've just got out of hospital having been admitted for three days of fasting and testing in which I lost over half a stone in three days I'm just waiting on results I've decided to tweek my eating pattern to every two hrs for the time being to see if that helps and to keep the hospital informed

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, hope you feel ok after your stay in hospital.
Did they give you any diagnosis?
Did you hypo?
Let us know how you are doing!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok, let us know how you get on with eating more regularly.

tooner9

Type of diabetes
HCP
hi all my pancreas is fine so its deffo RH my doc again suggested having a gastric bypass reversal any advice would help im so confused

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, RH is one of the very well documented side effects of a gastric bypass. Unfortunately.

Do you feel that you would be able to stay on a low carb (preferably ketogentic) diet after a gastric bypass reversal?