Omnipod - NHS

Penfold_Dad

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi all

as simple a question as the post thread says. Does anyone have an omnipod on the NHS? We are about to start to push our health board to pay for one for my five year old daughter. Our DSN showed us one the other day and seemed to think it might be a possibility. Fingers crossed

Reactions: Ocrabdul

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi all

as simple a question as the post thread says. Does anyone have an omnipod on the NHS? We are about to start to push our health board to pay for one for my five year old daughter. Our DSN showed us one the other day and seemed to think it might be a possibility. Fingers crossed
Yes they are prescribed on the NHS and obviously the hospital your daughter attends supplies them otherwise you would not have been shown one, so looks as if your luck is in :)
Some pump clinics only offer you 1 choice of pump like it or lump it!

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worked with an Ominpod using bass player a while back.. Cool unit.
I'm with CarbsRok. Yer luck maybe in.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi all

Good luck and hope you get the funding approved, as the DSN has shown you the Omnipod Pump it would mean it's available to your daughter.

If you go to the YPSOMED (mylife) website you can find out more information about the pump:

http://www.mylife-diabetescare.co.uk/mylife-omnipod-discover.html

Also have a look on YouTube as there's some really good video's where people show how they apply the Pod's, but just be aware that some of the video's show the old version of the Pod's and not the latest which is around a third smaller.

Penfold_Dad

Type of diabetes
Carer
I've just got off the phone with the DSN. It's a complicated affair, they had a patient on a trial of one who is now moved health boards. They are meeting the Omnipod rep on the 4th of Feb and have to make a case to the health board to justify the increased coast. It's going to be a case of wait and see

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have an Omnipod on the NHS. Got it in August. It was the only one I would consider (after being told for nearly 10 years by my diabetic team that a pump was the only way forward), as I wanted to be able to hide it under clothing so no one could see it and ask me questions! It's great from that perspective, and in that way, think it would be great for your daughter as it's not nearly as cumbersome... I really hope you get it approved - I have all fingers and toes crossed for you! Feel free to ask me any questions if you need to though... Otherwise, best of luck!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have an omnipod on the NHS
I think it might be the usual postcode lottery if your local CCG do or don't offer it.

I waited 13 months to get it from being put forward for a pump by my consultant.

it is brilliant to wear and use.

good luck in getting one for your daughter !
all the best !

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My understanding is that Southampton put their children on Omnipods - I do not know for sure but was told last year when I had a 30 day trial in Bournemouth, think the Omnipod rep told us.

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks. I agree it seems like the only pump I would consider for a small active child

Forgot to say yesterday that my team told me that the Omnipod versus other pumps actually works out about the same in price per annum: the PDM is worth about £400-500 (which is much cheaper than other pumps) but it is the pods that cost a lot and which makes the overall system fairly comparable with other pumps. It might be worth you looking into this and presenting your results to your team to strengthen your case maybe...?

Also, have you considered moving hospitals to a team that currently fund the Omnipod? The hospital I'm seen at is 200 miles away from where I live! (But to be fair, I didn't 'move' to that hospital to get the Omnipod - I've always been seen there since I was diagnosed aged 11, but have not lived in that area for nearly 12 years now - I just wanted to keep the same team etc). It would require your GP to refer to another hospital, but you are allowed to be referred anywhere in the country for any disease, so it would be your right if you wanted to go down this road.... Not sure about the logistics of it all and whether it is feasible for you to commute, but might be worth considering if all else fails with your current team.... I actually only physically attend clinics twice a year there, and at any other time, phone/e-mail for advice.

Hope that's at least vaguely helpful. Best of luck anyway! Keep us posted..

Penfold_Dad

Type of diabetes
Carer
That is helpful. Our DSN is certainly onside but it's hard to gauge the consultant's feelings on things.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chelsea and Westminster hospital sent a budget review to the CCG and the Omnipod worked out cheaper than a Medtronic tube pump. I had mine on the NHS. I dont use the pump anymore as im using the freestyle libre and its just easier to carry a pen around. I have had all the pumps available over the years and the Omnipod is definately the best option for many reasons. You can wear it on more areas of the body. No issues in hiding it. No tubes catching and pulling. It self inserts.

Penfold_Dad

Type of diabetes
Carer
Any idea if we can get hold of this report? Our NHS in West Wales are looking at the animas vibe and dexcom CGM combo for some of their paediatric patients.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chelsea and Westminster hospital sent a budget review to the CCG and the Omnipod worked out cheaper than a Medtronic tube pump
Would be great if we could get our hands on this!

iHs

Ive not seen the pod directly, but someone who uses it said it was very similar to the Dexcom cgm sensor with the G5 transmitter on top. I use Dexcom and its not at all uncomfortable.

Most of the pumps in general are a tiny bit big for young children to lug about. If I couldnt put the Spirit Combo or the Vibe in my bra, I would not have chosen them. The pods pdm is sonething like the size of a Vibe pump and about the same weight. The new pdm when it is launched is said to be smaller.

The Vibe pump is fairly straightforward to use with just 12 basal rate time slots whereas the Spirit has 24 time slots and each slot has to be adjusted correctly to achieve the best bg basal rate. The Vibe weighs more than the Spirit due to the design of the pump and the plastic used for the casing. The Vibe shines because of Dexcom cgm whereas the Spirit Combo shines because of the Expert meter being able to work as a bluetooth connection between the pump and the screen display and the pump access buttons can easily be used all from the meter so the pump can more or less be hidden. The Vibe has an lcd display which is really hard to see in bright daylight unless some shade is used even with the contrast set to be high, its still hard. I now tend to keep the Vibe in a side pocket of a black handbag so that I can see the screen display inside my handbag giving the shade when its sunny.

When your daughter does get the pump, then you or your wife will need to constantly check on her for a few weeks to make sure that bg levels are not going too high or too low. The school will also need to know how to use the pump in case something malfunctions etc so if your wife works, then there's a good possibility that she will need to go to the school at times so will wife's employer be ok with that or will it be work or P45.

Lots for you to think about

pamloft

Hi I've had the Omnipod for two and a half years now. You need a hospital which is conversant with it and on your side! But at the end of the day it doesn't matter which hospital you attend, the funding comes from your 'home' CCG. I've just moved hospitals to one where the team from consultant down are all very in favour of and knowledgeable about the Omnipod. My previous hospital is no longer keen on them and trying to move patients on to tubed pumps (both hospitals are in London). I have my fingers tightly crossed that they will be able to obtain continued funding for me from my CCG. Good luck with your daughter - you might like to contact inputdiabetes - which is a charity fun by pump users and they can offer you invaluable assistance.

parkwood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Chelsea and Westminster hospital sent a budget review to the CCG and the Omnipod worked out cheaper than a Medtronic tube pump. I had mine on the NHS. I dont use the pump anymore as im using the freestyle libre and its just easier to carry a pen around. I have had all the pumps available over the years and the Omnipod is definately the best option for many reasons. You can wear it on more areas of the body. No issues in hiding it. No tubes catching and pulling. It self inserts.

Hi,was wondering how easy you found it to sleep with pod,I've tried one in 2012 and found every time I turned over in bed it fell off,so after only being on it for a month I gave up and went back to using pens,I had Diabetes for 54 yrs (I'm 56),but losing sensitivity to hypo's and DNS feel it would be better to go back on pump?

mcpound

Hi Penfold
I know this thread is a bit old now but I just wondered how you were getting on and did you manage to have the monitor approved?
My son was diagnosed with type 1 at 9 months old and went on to pump therapy at 10 months old on a Medtronic pump. I fought hard for that pump as it came to light that it was deemed by the funding group to be ' ridiculous' for a baby to be on a pump. What's 'ridiculous' is someone with very little knowledge or understanding of the issues involved making those decisions. Anyway that a whole different discussion!
He has used the Omnipod since he was 4 and its been fantastic. We are up for review now he's 8 yrs old however we have a new DPSN that doesn't support Omnipod so I think we may have to move to a more supportive clinic as my son really doesn't want to take what we feel would be a step backwards to a pump with an infusion set.
I hope your little girl is getting the support and care she deserves from your clinic.
Xx

mcpound

Ive not seen the pod directly, but someone who uses it said it was very similar to the Dexcom cgm sensor with the G5 transmitter on top. I use Dexcom and its not at all uncomfortable.

Most of the pumps in general are a tiny bit big for young children to lug about. If I couldnt put the Spirit Combo or the Vibe in my bra, I would not have chosen them. The pods pdm is sonething like the size of a Vibe pump and about the same weight. The new pdm when it is launched is said to be smaller.

The Vibe pump is fairly straightforward to use with just 12 basal rate time slots whereas the Spirit has 24 time slots and each slot has to be adjusted correctly to achieve the best bg basal rate. The Vibe weighs more than the Spirit due to the design of the pump and the plastic used for the casing. The Vibe shines because of Dexcom cgm whereas the Spirit Combo shines because of the Expert meter being able to work as a bluetooth connection between the pump and the screen display and the pump access buttons can easily be used all from the meter so the pump can more or less be hidden. The Vibe has an lcd display which is really hard to see in bright daylight unless some shade is used even with the contrast set to be high, its still hard. I now tend to keep the Vibe in a side pocket of a black handbag so that I can see the screen display inside my handbag giving the shade when its sunny.

When your daughter does get the pump, then you or your wife will need to constantly check on her for a few weeks to make sure that bg levels are not going too high or too low. The school will also need to know how to use the pump in case something malfunctions etc so if your wife works, then there's a good possibility that she will need to go to the school at times so will wife's employer be ok with that or will it be work or P45.

Lots for you to think about

I know this thread is a bit old but I think it is important to mention that most insulin pumps are not too big for children. They fit perfectly well into pump pouches around the waist or clip on to clothes with no issues what so ever.
I'm also interested to know why it would just be Penfold's wife being called into school if there was an issue. Our school very rarely need us to go in and if they do its a shared responsibility between my husband and myself. Nobody has needed to get their P45!