What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I had 3 rice cakes for Breakfast with spread cheese BG went from 6.1 to 8.1 so think i'll be cutting out the spread cheese in future :wacky:
Hi Wayne36 Was it low fat spread ?

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It was probably the rice cakes rather than the cheese spread that spiked you.

Well, sitting in a hospital waiting area (again). No time for food before the taxi arrived pat 6.30am so I thought I'd get a cooked brekkie in the cafeteria. Guess what - it doesn't open on sundays. (This London girl will NEVER get used to living 'out in the sticks').

Next stop was the vending machines. Just of sandwiches, chocolate bars and micro heat pasta meals. Nothing suitable. I'm starving and annoyed with myself. it doesn't make sense - why should I be so hungry today when on other days I fast quite happily until dinner time? Thankfully BG is fine.

Say what you want about london but there's always somewhere open to get food lol, bet you wish you took something to eat now :***:

Reactions: 2 people

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Rice Cakes are likely to be 80g of Carbohydrate per 100g so not remotely a Low-Carb food.

Yeah i know i just see low fat and forgot about the rice bit lol, my blood is now 5.1 before dinner so it didn't do too much damage :wacky:

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B. 2 scrambled eggs - 1 slice home-made seeded bread, toasted &
Buttered with 2 mugs tea.
L. Turkey mince-loaf, red cabbage, green (French?) beans & broccoli
S. Bowl of broccoli & Stilton soup
D. About 6 p.m. Buttered Ryvitas, cheddar cheese, celery & olives.
1 Ryvita with low sugar jam.

Reactions: 5 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Finally home and fed.

I found an option in the hospital vending machine and tool a leaf out of @GeoffersTaylor 's book. I bought two cheese quarterpounder burgers in buns, microwaved them hot then threw away the buns. I got some VERY strange looks. Never mind, BG was fine and I was got something to eat.

I'm now finally home and have just had a large glass of red, lamb chops, diced roast celeriac, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower. I feel much better. Can't say the same for my husband. LOL

Reactions: 5 people
D

Deleted member 43917

B - smoothie - avocado, spinach, carrot, ginger & almond milk
S - lapsed as was offered cake
L - fish pie, green beans and peas, spoonful of ground almonds
S - vegetable crisps
D - smoothie - spinach, carrot, tomato, raspberries, ginger, coconut milk (a bit of an odd mix i guess but it tasted ok)

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
B The dreaded shredded wheat with half a banana:nailbiting::bigtears::banghead:
L poached egg / 1 slice of Burgen bread
D Homemade butternut squash soup / half a lidl roll

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody

B. Raspberries with cream

L. Bacon, tomato, 2 tiny sausages and a fried egg.

D. Braising steak cooked in gravy in the oven with carrots, mushrooms and onions served with sprouts.

While the oven was on I baked a low carb ricotta cake and a batch of low carb blueberry muffins.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Wayne36 what are your plans for tomorrow's meals? Maybe if you posted your ideas someone will offer suggestions for making them more low carb? It's just an idea if you are finding it tricky.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
No but didn't think fat raised your BG so much, i'm new to all this and still learning so i might be misinformed with a few things lol :wacky:
As others have said, it'll be the rice cakes.

For me, I don't do low fat anything any more. Everything is full fat, and if there isn't enough, I'll add more. See, not only am I low-carbing, but I'm eating high fat as well. We have to get our energy from somewhere, right? So if we can't get it from carbs coz our bodies are useless at processing them, and we can't get it from protein coz, well, that's not what protein is really for, then the only option left is fats.

Low carb high fat - LCHF. It's the dog's danglies, my friend. Read up on it.

Reactions: 3 people

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Wayne36 what are your plans for tomorrow's meals? Maybe if you posted your ideas someone will offer suggestions for making them more low carb? It's just an idea if you are finding it tricky.

Not really finding it tricky it's just getting use to what's ok and what isn't lol, will prob have boiled chicken and veg for dinner tomorrow

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As others have said, it'll be the rice cakes.

For me, I don't do low fat anything any more. Everything is full fat, and if there isn't enough, I'll add more. See, not only am I low-carbing, but I'm eating high fat as well. We have to get our energy from somewhere, right? So if we can't get it from carbs coz our bodies are useless at processing them, and we can't get it from protein coz, well, that's not what protein is really for, then the only option left is fats.

Low carb high fat - LCHF. It's the dog's danglies, my friend. Read up on it.

Oh i can do high fat lol all i've ate is chicken/fish and veg lol

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B - Mcdonalds double sausage & egg muffin without the muffin, coffee
L - half an avocado mashed onto a couple of slices of spinach bread
D - sirloin steak
S - 4 pints of wonderful real ale, pork scratchings, 70% chocolate, peanuts. I might have had some chips, too

Why all that beer? Because, you see, when my brother-in-law visits I'm suddenly not diabetic for the day.

How did your BG hold up lol, are peanuts good because i've read they're bad and somewhere else says they're good lol :wacky:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: nothing
L: Slice of Schneider Brot Rye with Fried Egg
S: Mini Veg Samosa
D: Prawns in Garlic/Chilli, Lamb Rack with Cauliflower Cheese & Runner Beans, Creme Brûlée (Xylitol didn't really work for this)
Some Cava plus Cotes du Rhone Villages.

Maybe some cheese later,

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Wayne36 . I think @GeoffersTaylor has explained it brilliantly. When I started lchf I loved being able to eat cream and butter and yoghurt that wasn't low fat. Have you thought about breakfasts. I usually have raspberries or strawberries or blackberries with either ream or Greek style yoghurt.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Say what you want about london but there's always somewhere open to get food lol, bet you wish you took something to eat now :***:
Yes, 24/7 food -and 24/7 public transport. The rest I am okay leaving behind.

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For dinner I had 2 pieces of breaded baked chicken with boiled Spinach, Courgette, Cauliflower and mushrooms fried in garlic butter, my BG was 5.1 after it was 5.2 :wacky:

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Wayne36 . I think @GeoffersTaylor has explained it brilliantly. When I started lchf I loved being able to eat cream and butter and yoghurt that wasn't low fat. Have you thought about breakfasts. I usually have raspberries or strawberries or blackberries with either ream or Greek style yoghurt.

Hi I had greek style yoghurt the other day i weren't too keen lol but i could devour some cream and strawberries :wacky: