NICE Recommends Medtronic Pump with CGM for Type 1

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The Vibe also gets a mention :) Trouble is though to qualify for the CGM side of things you have to be hypo unaware or need assistance with hypos and no one with a driving licence is going to admit to that are they?

Reactions: 4 people

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See here: http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/DG21/chapter/1-Recommendations

As far as I know, this is a first recommendation for CGM + Pump from Nice. It talks about people with "disabling hypos", but they recognize that using the pump with cgm can save money for the NHS!
I too read this and got a little excited! I'm on waiting list for a pump, and have very little hypo,awareness (t1, 36 yrs) have to be 2.4 or lower to even notice something isn't quite right lol. So I'm going to push for CGM was wanting the 640g anyway due to the threshold suspend feature.
Does anyone know if this will help anyone in my situation to gain funding for CGM??

I've already lost my licence due to 2 disabling hypos so having to surrender driving wouldn't be an issue to me.
Any advice/info greatly appreciated

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
I understand these NICE guidelines are for the Medtronic Veo not the 640.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited by a moderator:

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got given a cgm with my mini med 640g without asking for it!
That is very good news, if you don't mind me asking do you have full funding for the CGM? Or partial? I'd be happy if I could get even partial funding tbh

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
I agree the NICE Guidelines are confusing, I read the link posted by Pauline B and that said in the footnote the 640g had not been assessed yet.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have full funding for CGM and I use the Medtronic 640g I have had this for 9months .I had a 12 month battle to get it but thanks to my Endo and DSN I got the funding.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree the NICE Guidelines are confusing, I read the link posted by Pauline B and that said in the footnote the 640g had not been assessed yet.
Yes and the link from Medtronic says that nice recognised that the 640g is a newer version replacing the veo??
https://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/our-innovation/nice-recommendation

Well I'm quite happy to have the earlier version if CGM is agreed as I'm sure many others would be too

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ADMINISTRATOR would it be possible to move this thread on to the insulin pump forum please? I don't know how to do it myself, or if I'm allowed to
Many thanks

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

That is very good news, if you don't mind me asking do you have full funding for the CGM? Or partial? I'd be happy if I could get even partial funding tbh
Erm we aren't entirely sure I have like 4 sensors I think, I used one when it was set up and my consultant just said to save them incase I wanted to use them haha either way it's good that I got one but the thing I found was I was hypo on sensor but then by finger testing I was an 8! So it's good but it's not as accurate!

Reactions: 3 people

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have full funding for CGM and I use the Medtronic 640g I have had this for 9months .I had a 12 month battle to get it but thanks to my Endo and DSN I got the funding.
That is good to hear yingtong, was the 12months due to CGM or just waiting list for pump itself? Think my wait is looking like it will take around 12mths but am hoping for CGM approval at the same time, as I have little hypo awareness and have had 2 disabling hypos in 12mnths so driving is a no for me, for now anyway