Pump?! Yay or nay

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to write a post up to ask everyone's opinions of pumps. I use to be on a pump but couldn't get on with it. After a few years I am now thinking of trying it again.... What do you all think??

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why couldnt you get on with it? Which pump did you have?

I love my pump and would never consider going back to injections :)

Reactions: 4 people

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why couldnt you get on with it? Which pump did you have?

I love my pump and would never consider going back to injections :)
I was in a bad place in my life and it didn't suit where I was. I was also really thin and it just caused major bruises- this meant it never seemed to be in properly. I hated the wire as I would always get caught on things. Lots more reasons but now I'm willing to try it again . And it's wireless now!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm very clumsy but have only caught my tubing a couple of times : D I tuck it in my waistband normally - or wear my pump on my thigh if I have a dress or skirt on :)

I'm slim and I don't use my tummy for sites. I use my thighs or top of my bum. I prefer that anyway as the site seems more out of the way.

We all change through life, so if you think a pump would suit you now, then go ahead :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was in a bad place in my life and it didn't suit where I was. I was also really thin and it just caused major bruises- this meant it never seemed to be in properly. I hated the wire as I would always get caught on things. Lots more reasons but now I'm willing to try it again . And it's wireless now!

If matters have improved in your life then go for it @Meghalton

I'm using a tubeless pump (Omnipod) and love it, been pumping insulin for just over a year now and wouldn't want to go back to MDI.

Reactions: 2 people

LucyM88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've thought about it, have been offered it. Just not too sure...as far I'm told it can affect what you wear...and sometimes makes it awkward in the 'bedroom department'

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i love my pump i wish i could have been offered it from day 1 tbh, 3 years fighting for it and finally payed of :]

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've thought about it, have been offered it. Just not too sure...as far I'm told it can affect what you wear...and sometimes makes it awkward in the 'bedroom department'

I wear exactly the same kind of clothes as before I had my pump :) Trousers - it goes on the waistband. Skirt - waistband or thigh in holder. Dress - bra bag hanging out of site under my arm, or on my thigh in holder.

As for your other point - no : D I leave mine on, but you can easily take it off. Hopefully your partner will have their mind on other things and so will you :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There have been a couple of tweet chats on this topic recently with Our Diabetes and GB DOC. They were quite interesting regarding this topic. Ninjabetic's current blog is also about sex and diabetes and covers sex and pumps. Might be worth some googling.

D

Deleted member 83869

I've had my pump like 3 years now and it's never affected what I wear....it can hardly be seen and plus you forget it's there most of the time! In regards to sex I either take it off, as it can be disconnected for up to half an hour or leave it on.....depending on who's on top hahhaha....tmi sorry xx

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on a pump and love it ! I wear body con dresses and I made my self like pump bands, which are basically tuber grips with a hole for my pump and it goes in the small of my back and no one ever notices, in fact I've had someone panic as they thought if taken it off !
I'm super clumsy and the only times I've ripped mine out is when I've caught it on something !
Also it's not actually as awkward in the bedroom (but I do keep mine on)as someone might think

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
after 43 years on injections the last 4 1/2 months on a pump has been wonderful ( takes a few weeks getting used to)

highly recommended by me !!!!

iHs

I neither love or hate my pump. Its just an insulin delivering device to me. Ive got 2 pumps, the Combo with the remote and the Vibe. I use the Vibe at the moment but when going out and needing to dress up, I sometimes use my pen to deliver the bolus and leave Vibe in my bra delivering basal or go back to using the Combo again and leave the Combo in my bra and deliver the bolus from the handset. Both pumps take the same luer connecting tubes.

Reactions: 5 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love being on a pump and I cant imagine life without it. I wear it on a clip, in front of my bra most of the time. Not visible at all.
You can take it off whenever you want, and there are ways to keep it off for a bit longer if you want to. You just need to clip it back for a second and bolus missing basal.

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh so many great replies! I think I'm going to look into it- will want to go for a wireless one. Not bothered about sex as my partner didn't mind when I had it before. Just hoping to make my life easier. I'm just worried because it made my life more difficult before xx