Bodybuilding and diabetes

Mal1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was referring to gear, in the past I've always had a preference for Tren A and Test, any information would be appreciated. @TorkPenderloin

S

Sean01

@Sean01 I understand if you don't wish to discuss this bit but what do you know about 'supplementing' and diabetes and how safe if at all is it?
Supplementing is important. After years of rattling about like a jar of pills:
I don't eat fruit so vit c can be an issue but I do eat a lot of tomatoes and red peppers and chillies
Mineral supplementation is not an issue: I eat tons of green veg especially spinach
B vitamins: I'm eating meat every day
Eggs and mushrooms are packed with so much more than a hand full of pills,
Protein shakes - still looking for one that will be compatible with being diabetic but most contain laods of carbs to help get the protein to where it is needed.
Forget energy drinks - that's just a sugar hit.
I've got no issue with amino acids.
I've lost 90 lbs since Oct 2015 - I don't need fat burners
As for the stuff that the younger generation are taking these days - good luck to them I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. (I'm 50 and I'm a biology graduate who never stopped learning,.
Summary: eat well. Use your brain and live a long life.

Every now and then I brouse through the internet to see if the people I used to know are still alive. The list is getting smaller.

Trophy winning days may be over, but my life isn't, not by a long shot.

Find me if you want to chat (I'm on the blog)

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sean01

I was referring to gear, in the past I've always had a preference for Tren A and Test, any information would be appreciated. @TorkPenderloin
Sorry - didn't see the quotation marks. My reply was based on supplements without the exclamation marks.
If you want to talk about gear you're talking to the wrong guy. I hack squatted 800 lbs for 3 reps and on a good day I could deadlift over 500lbs for reps. The human body is capable of amazing things without the need for drugs.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the one thing to be aware of as a T1 is that gear has a tendency to increase insulin resistance. That's really not something you want to have as a T1. It makes managing your diabetes much harder. As a result I wouldn't advise it, as your life as a T1 is hard enough.

What you choose to do is entirely up to you of course.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Protein shakes - still looking for one that will be compatible with being diabetic but most contain loads of carbs to help get the protein to where it is needed.
)

Hi Sean, have found a few but found the myprotein diet protein to be okish , 8 grams of carbs per serving ( and slow release) and often only have a half serving and more importantly dirt cheap (with a code) I have 9kg in the cupboard from their last 50% off deal , which worked out at about £6 a KG..........

I dont use much tbh and tend to just use it as a base for a post workout shake (peanut butter, greek yogurt, berries etc) so lasts me ages.....

Watched that excellent documentary a few years back (The Truth about Sports Supplements) which was an eye opener , and pretty much stopped using supps for a few years ( my diet is very good anyhow) but have slipped back to using a shake just after as its just so convenient....:) and work on the premise that it cant hurt and might help....

And wont touch steroids but each to their own.............. but must admit approaching 50 I am guessing my T levels are dropping, so would be tempted IF there was something safe to help, I know in the states docs will prescribe T injections but I dont know about the UK.......

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the one thing to be aware of as a T1 is that gear has a tendency to increase insulin resistance. That's really not something you want to have as a T1. It makes managing your diabetes much harder. As a result I wouldn't advise it, as your life as a T1 is hard enough.

What you choose to do is entirely up to you of course.

Very interesting. I didn't find much online, but what little I did suggested something a bit different.

Corticosteroids (predisolone, some asthma inhalers, etc) are certainly known to cause insulin resistance and they're actually how I personally found out I had type 1.

However, what I found online actually suggested that anabolic steroids (Deca, DBol, etc) can have the OPPOSITE effect and some warning labels recommend reducing diabetes medication (insulin) to avoid hypoglycemia.

When I think about how they're each used, it makes a bit of sense. Corticosteroids are often used to fight infection, but can weaken the immune system. It makes sense that our cells would become resistant as a safety mechanism.

Anabolic steroids strongly promote lean mass gains and it makes sense that our cells would become LESS resistant as a result.

Having said all of this, I have zero personal experience with anabolic steroids both before I was diagnosed with T1 and after my diagnosis. In all honesty, it was something I once considered. As a former competitive power lifter and college baseball player, I knew many of my competitors were using them. When you're talking about the possibility of receiving a scholarship to pay for a $150,000 education and especially the possibility of playing professionally, it's extremely hard not to consider using them. Ultimately, I decided they weren't for me, but to a certain extent I can understand why others do use them.

Bcod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The main thing you need to remember is that everyone reacts differently. Nobody can tell you exactly how your levels will react to gear. But if you do it then make sure you test A LOT! Personally for me dianabol makes my levels very stable but others will make you more or less insulin resistant. Just be smart and if it's causing you issues then stop ensuring you take a pct if you need it of course!

Jamesgib22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Mal1978, I pride myself in being a competitive bodybuilder diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 2 years old. If you want any help or advice fire away and I will try shed a little light on your worries.

Kind regards

James

Mal1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Mal1978, I pride myself in being a competitive bodybuilder diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 2 years old. If you want any help or advice fire away and I will try shed a little light on your worries.

Kind regards

James
I've been considering going back to using Tren A and test ( I usually get very good gains) but I am hearing so many stories about insulting resistance etc that I am unsure what to believe.

Jamesgib22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been considering going back to using Tren A and test ( I usually get very good gains) but I am hearing so many stories about insulting resistance etc that I am unsure what to believe.

Okay sorry let me rephrase that big time. I said any advice on bodybuilding I didn't mean advice on illegal compounds Mal1978 lol