Dry January, running but weight gain!

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the title suggests I've decided to get fit and take up running again. I used to run a fair bit before diagnosis about 2 1/2 years ago and have just put off getting back into it. So I've stopped drinking wine and running 2-3 miles about 3-4 times a week and I've managed to put on weight!
I really haven't been eating more and I don't think I've put on muscle in such a short space of time. Will the weight start to shift soon? I only want to lose about 5 lbs but finding it hard.
Any advice?
Thanks
Andrea

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think as type1 we need to put some more effort into loosing weight than we used to before diagnosis (at least I do). Count calories, reduce carbs and exercise and hopefully the weight will start to shift.
During 2 miles run you burn about 200kcal and its not difficult to compensate that in a little snack of nuts or cheese. Wishing you good luck. I'm trying the same as a new years resolution :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
timely post. I have cut out ay only bout 2 or 3 oz nuts per day as well as some additional fat. I have no room to lower carbs or P so fat is my only option. I also started doing 15 min yoga in the morning and I too have put on weight. Actually the weight started coming with cold weather but I have not lost an ounce. I feared wine would be the last thing to go but not ready to give that up yet. Insulin is a growth hormone so I wonder if does something else when we exercise? I too am looking for 5 #'s but I am certainly not looking to gain any more. I am hoping for a shift but not feeling too optimistic at this point,. The only things I have changed is ditching nuts and starting yoga. Shouldn't something change?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Running is great cardio which is good for overall heath, but it doesn't offer any special benefit other than burning more calories.

Similar to what @ewelina mentioned, running 12 miles/week equates to 1200-1500 calories at most. In comparison, a pound of fat equates to about 3500 calories. That's a fancy way of saying that your running is helping you to burn an extra 1.5-2 lbs a month.

Me personally? I'm lazy. I run maybe 8-10 miles a week, but strictly for the cardio benefits.When I want to lose weight, I'd prefer to simply eat less. I'd rather eat 500 calories less each day than run for 45 minutes.

Long story short, you can't outrun your diet. If you're gaining weight, that (almost always) means that you're eating more calories than you're exerting.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies guys. I've been cutting back in the eating front too. Maybe I'm just being a bit impatient.
I'm just telling myself that it's doing me some good even if the scales disagree

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seemed to have dropped 4lb this week. Maybe a delayed loss or perhaps just water??

mandyle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise gets rid of excess fat, but it converts it into muscle which is heavier than fat. Often a person will gain weight when they begin to exercise!

Also, calorie in does not always equal calorie out. I ate less than 1000 cal per day, and was putting on weight (I was walking 2 active dogs twice a day - fast speed, and doing pilates) - however, for years I was under a lot of stress at the time. Stress (when your body produces cortisol) can make you insulin resistant over a period of time. A low carb diet has now got me reducing weight and my glucose levels are down too - no medication needed.

Everyone's body reacts differently to different foods, excercise and stress levels. Work out what is best for you - this forum is marvellous for helping.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Exercise gets rid of excess fat, but it converts it into muscle which is heavier than fat. Often a person will gain weight when they begin to exercise!

Fat isn't exactly converted into muscle, but you can lose fat and gain muscle. The thing about gaining muscle is that you have to be eating properly and exercising properly.
One of the issues with calorie counting is that not all calories are equal, depends on whether you're eating fat or protein or carbohydrate.
Also the Harris Benedict formula used to calculate your Basic Metabolic Rate (calories required to maintain weight) assumes that we all have a healthy metabolism, not always the case for diabetics.
Certain drugs will affect weight loss and will affect some people more than others. Dieting isn't an exact science by any stretch of the imagination.