A Re-introduction!

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I have not been around for a long time! Hence the title.

Long story cut very short, I thought I was suffering from sciatica problems last June and was popping pain relief until the GP could do something about it. He had requested a scan for me but we all know GP requests take ages. I collapsed a couple of times and one night was taken into hospital. After answering their silly questions about who the Prime Minister was and did I know where I was (I obviously thought I was in a much more lucid state than I was!), they scanned me and discovered I had lots of abscesses growing along my spine and that my back was a wall of pus and poison. Well that explained a lot. I spent 15 weeks in hospital, being barrier nursed for most of that, being pumped with antibiotics and pain relief. After doing so well with controlling my carbs and therefore BS levels, I was stuck with NHS food, they do not have dietary treatment for diabetes and prefer to treat with drugs. Then they took me off my Metformin because I was being scanned almost weekly.

I am now home. Walking with one crutch and starting to drive my car again. I need to work on my low carb mojo desperately. I haven't even tested my blood glucose for months. I know this is not good enough.

So, it all starts again tomorrow. I know I have been silly but I could have died last year and they still don't know how I ended up like that. Messes with your head a bit.
New start, to build the life I want. Encouragement always welcome. I shall post my morning BS levels.

Reactions: 7 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @KateA - wow sounds like you've really had a time of it! Sounds awful. Glad to hear you're on the mend xx
Sounds like you are all set to get yourself back on track. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have not been around for a long time! Hence the title.

Long story cut very short, I thought I was suffering from sciatica problems last June and was popping pain relief until the GP could do something about it. He had requested a scan for me but we all know GP requests take ages. I collapsed a couple of times and one night was taken into hospital. After answering their silly questions about who the Prime Minister was and did I know where I was (I obviously thought I was in a much more lucid state than I was!), they scanned me and discovered I had lots of abscesses growing along my spine and that my back was a wall of pus and poison. Well that explained a lot. I spent 15 weeks in hospital, being barrier nursed for most of that, being pumped with antibiotics and pain relief. After doing so well with controlling my carbs and therefore BS levels, I was stuck with NHS food, they do not have dietary treatment for diabetes and prefer to treat with drugs. Then they took me off my Metformin because I was being scanned almost weekly.

I am now home. Walking with one crutch and starting to drive my car again. I need to work on my low carb mojo desperately. I haven't even tested my blood glucose for months. I know this is not good enough.

So, it all starts again tomorrow. I know I have been silly but I could have died last year and they still don't know how I ended up like that. Messes with your head a bit.
New start, to build the life I want. Encouragement always welcome. I shall post my morning BS levels.

Hi @KateA , what a story. Never heard of that condition before.
You've survived the NHS so the rest is plain sailing. Take it easy kiddo.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Kate, wow I've never heard of that happening to someone before! Sounds like you've really been through it! Nhs food is shocking for diabetics, I'm currently in hospital and the choices you get are very poor!! Getting back on track will be a breeze for you after all you've got through I have no doubt about that! Well done on what you've done so far, you will know better than us if you will be best to plunge straight back in or just take little steps at a time regarding bg testing and lc but I wish you the best of luck! X

Reactions: 5 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just to add my WOW !! amazing story -- you're back amongst like minded peeps !!:)

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Puts it all in to perspective really. While we can do things that damage our health with diabetes, acute syndromes that immediately threaten our lives are equally demanding and much more immediately dangerous.

Welcome back. You can get back on it and tame the D beast!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome back, Im sure you will be able to get yourself back on track in no time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh my!!! Sounds like you have had an absolute horrendous time.

I think we all will wish you a speedy, full recovery now you are home.

Unfortunately the NHS do not cater for diabetics.... I was in last year overnight for a mastectomy and my husband had to bring my food in for that one night. Unfortunately I only eat non processed food.... And they could not cope with a chicken or salmon salad...
I didn't have breakfast the following morning. Waited until hubby brought me home... If I had wanted icecream and or treacle tart with custard I would have been fine!! Thank goodness I was only in for one night.

Wishing you well and lower carbing and getting testing again will aide your recovery... Best wishes...

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @KateA , what a story. Never heard of that condition before.
You've survived the NHS so the rest is plain sailing. Take it easy kiddo.
I think very highly of the NHS. The individual doctors and consultants (and I saw a lot!) were superb. As were those working in the labs whom I did not see. I want to fight for the NHS and tell that Mr *unt where to go!

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Puts it all in to perspective really. While we can do things that damage our health with diabetes, acute syndromes that immediately threaten our lives are equally demanding and much more immediately dangerous.

Welcome back. You can get back on it and tame the D beast!

Thank you Tim, I know I can, especially with the encouragement of everyone here.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey Kate, wow I've never heard of that happening to someone before! Sounds like you've really been through it! Nhs food is shocking for diabetics, I'm currently in hospital and the choices you get are very poor!! Getting back on track will be a breeze for you after all you've got through I have no doubt about that! Well done on what you've done so far, you will know better than us if you will be best to plunge straight back in or just take little steps at a time regarding bg testing and lc but I wish you the best of luck! X

Thank you very much. I hope all is well with you health wise too. The food choices did sometimes add to the funny side of being in hospital. One of the choices for supper was an Evening Surprise, of course I had to pick it. It was a two by one inch cake. A yellow cake with a best before date of 10 years or so. The bucket had it!

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh my!!! Sounds like you have had an absolute horrendous time.

I think we all will wish you a speedy, full recovery now you are home.

Unfortunately the NHS do not cater for diabetics.... I was in last year overnight for a mastectomy and my husband had to bring my food in for that one night. Unfortunately I only eat non processed food.... And they could not cope with a chicken or salmon salad...
I didn't have breakfast the following morning. Waited until hubby brought me home... If I had wanted icecream and or treacle tart with custard I would have been fine!! Thank goodness I was only in for one night.

Wishing you well and lower carbing and getting testing again will aide your recovery... Best wishes...

Thank you. Luckily the soup was acceptable but they think vegetarians live on pasta. Again like you, processed foods are usually a no no but sometimes hunger took over!

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So, to continue this, my sleep pattern is a bit awry and I did not measure my BS.

I did this morning at 6am and it was 6.6, considering there were Jelly Bunnies on my bed, I thought it was not too bad. (I know Jelly Bunnies ON your bed doesn't put your BS up but the wee devils sometimes hop into my mouth).

Thank you for all your lovely thoughts and wishes x

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome back, it sounds like a truly unpleasant experience and I wish you a speedy recovery. You will get a handle on your diabetes again, you just had more pressing matters to attend to. It sounds like you're on the right side of it all now.

I too am a big advocate of the NHS - not so much for myself, but my husband had a burst gangrenous appendix in 2005 and was on life support for a couple of weeks. The care he received from the first call I made to what was then NHS Direct to the physios that got him moving again, was totally fabulous. It has left him with a lot of resulting problems and he sees consultants monthly and has a lot of testing and had surgery 2 weeks ago, trying to stave off dialysis and he has had top notch treatment throughout. We can't possibly fault the attention he's receiving.

And I know what you mean about NHS food choices, I've mentioned it eslewhere - both my diabetic parents have been in hospital recently and they couldn't have any meals that included potatoes, but were allowed orange juice and ice cream every meal.:eek:

Reactions: 4 people

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
Sounds like you have had a horrific time, but you sound very determined & i am sure you will be back on track in no time.:joyful:

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A bit of an update, at GP appointment last week and had some bloods taken. My inflammatory markers are almost normal, which I am very pleased about. I also asked for my blood sugars to be checked as the hospital had taken me off my Metformin. The result is my blood sugar level does not indicate that I need to restart Metformin just now. I don't have my HbA1C number as it was done via the receptionist on the phone but I will check once it is on my MyDiabetes profile. Not sure what is going on but continuing to strive to be low carb, today has been a good day.