stretching the reservoir / pod

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there

does anybody else think hmmmmnnnn !!!! if i just eat a lower / no carb meal tonight i will make the current reservoir / pod last until I am due to change it in the morning

because If I eat normal I will run out of insulin at 3am.

my pods hold 200u and that normally lasts 3 days for me but if I eat 1 or 2 higher carb meals ( circa 80-110 CHO)
i can end up running close to the edge by the last night before the change

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Well you don't have to change the cartridge at the same time as the cannula. :) I change cannula every 3 days and the cartridge when empty which is 7 or 8 days as mine holds 200 units.
Oops just noticed you have the omnipod so you have no choice but to change every 3 days.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Makes sense if your getting close to running out @himtoo

I've not had to do this yet as I only use around 100u over the 3 days.

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have set my pumps alarm to 12units before it goes off, not really a problem when I'm at work but with being off my insulin needs have gone up alot with being off for another 5 weeks after the operation on my carpel

iHs

Since having a pump, Ive always made sure that Ive got about 20u of bolus in a pen cartridge just in case something goes wrong with the pump or the set.

There have many times when Ive used my pen for the bolus to cover evening meal instead of using the pump if the cartridge is getting low and there is only enough to get me through to the morning. I usually take the cartridge out and re fill again when it gets down to 2u so that I dont waste what I dont need to.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given my daily use is about 45u per day I've not had a huge issue with it. Have found myself using the pen to bolus when I've forgotten the pump was low though.