Breakfasts. What can I eat?!

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't manage cereal for breakfast. Wished I could but it's not to be. Bacon tomatoes mushrooms high meat sausage all cause no problems
Can get boring though so I make a pancake of cream cheese and egg, eaten with berries and a little single cream yummy

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Probably because you have Type 2, Suercc.

The OP has Type 1 and so has more options. I have Type 1 too and can eat cereal every day. If I had Type 2, I'd take a different approach.

You're doing what's right for you and that's what's important.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Frozen mixed berries, taken out the freezer the night before.. 2 spoons of greek yoghurt, handful of mixed omega 3 seeds, sprinkle of oats, and mix it in.. fills me up and doesnt spike me at all :)

Reactions: 7 people

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello te kaihau,

friend, I feel for you. I'm type 2, and as far as I know, I can just about cope with anything I eat, at any time of day. But of course, during next 2 weeks, I may learn the error of my ways, after my next diabetes check-up! For past 3 years, apparently I've been blessed with good diabetic control; I don't know why, because I'm not doing anything special. I don't particularly have good portion control, although I try to be a good boy! Counting calories? I don't know how to do it! I ain't joking folks! :D

Have you thought about seeing a dietician? Although in my experience, their support doesn't last long.

FRank.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the past I've also had problems with rising blood glucose levels in the morning, but my breakfast is typically black coffee unless I'm low, so here are a few suggestions which helped me.

Do you count carbs? Try a fixed amount for breakfast (if you're not already) to control one variable, then check the others
The Dafne course may help with this
Your overnight basal dose may well be lower than your daytime one, in other words if your sugar is level overnight, it may be rising during the day, adding to your morning problems. I split my basal dose to correct night and day separately
First thing in the morning you may need an extra unit or two as Staffsmatt says
I found the Freestyle Libre very helpful in getting to grips with overnight trends and what was going on in the morning.

@LucySW One unit for the omelette, one unit because your body is switching to daytime mode?
Hey, yes but 1.5 or 2 u for the omelette and 0.5 to 1 for the liver dump.

Lucy

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, breakfast is a meal which is something for us all to deal with on a daily basis.
I have found that a lightly toasted bagel with plenty of full fat Philadelphia Cheese, sets me up fine for the start of the day. When I have run out of bagels and philly and not been shopping then just toast and I start to feel hungry before lunch time, so I have to have something that tops me up, some cheese or a good yoghurt and some tea, I do love bacon, omelettes, scrambled eggs, but some mornings I just do not have the energy to stand and cook (osteoarthritis plays up) pain is a barrier to cooking some mornings. But my day always with a brew in bed which is a good way to get my head in gear. Breakfast is the start of the daily balancing of diabetes so the task we must all do, ttfn Karen

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, im not a fan of breakfast usually, but i know i need food to start the day off! So, i bought Morrisons and Tescos version of slimfast.. chocolate flavour is my favourite... and i absolutely love it! My sugar levels are good on it too, and it sees me through to my lunch :) i often take one to work too! then have a bit of fruit like blueberries or raspberries.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello to all, breakfast is a very personal choice, and I have always had something from the young age, now I cannot start the day without it,,, make your choices and enjoy them,,and when you get the right one for you,,enjoy it and get your bs levels in order,,,ttfn from Karen.

mattpiano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried all sorts over the years, and many breakfast choices have caused spikes. Particularly bad for me have been Sultana Bran and (surprisingly) Weetabix. I've found the best solution for me is a portion (as stated on the packet) of Alpen No Added Sugar muesli with some Alpro plain yogurt. It doesn't spike, and it holds my sugars well so that, with a small mid-morning snack (around 10g) on busy days, I'm fine until lunch time. Most days I end up at a similar level pre-lunch to my pre-breakfast test, though obviously nothing is always perfect.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Particularly bad for me have been Sultana Bran and (surprisingly) Weetabix.

That is far from surprising ... cereals are full of sugar and many many people cannot tolerate that junk

mattpiano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is far from surprising ... cereals are full of sugar and many many people cannot tolerate that junk

I think my experience completely bears out what you say. I've always avoided many cereals, knowing that they were sugary and full of junk, but I had previously thought Sultana Bran and Weetabix to be much better, even taking into account the sultanas. I'm now sticking with the Alpen No Added Sugar with the Alpro Plain. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello to all, ,,,break the fast,,,is a unique meal and we all have to find the right food,,and then the dreaded bs levels will stay in the good zone,,,,,the trials of a diabetic,,,,,,we just want enough to eat to start our day,,,,,,,then when we do,,,,,the numbers stay where we want them too,,,ttfn from Karen.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello Tylers73,,, some how round sausages don't look right,,,,at my age sausages have to be sort of finger shaped and just a bit longer,!!!!!! bet McD's cannot do square eggs,??????,,,I have seen square sausage things,?!!!,,,well that is breakfast for you,,a mix of many things,,of different shapes and sizes,,,,well for now,,ttfn from Karen.