Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

• DAFNE

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • DESMOND

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • X-PERT

Votes: 70 10.8%
  • ASPIRE

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Freedom4Life

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (Please state in a post)

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • Never attended one

Votes: 291 44.8%

• Total voters

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did what my hosp calls image, bit like dafne. I do like the chance to get together and learn from orher T1s. And corses do seem to be a good reality check...
However 2courses in 37 years, more would be better, much better!!!!!!!! Carbohydrate countdown was the biggest learning curve but you need to be very special to have experienced that

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
X-pert the course dietitian spent most of the time swigging on full fat Coke, whilst pointing out there was nothing that you couldn't eat, at that time I had a BMI of 22 and was quiet muscular also the youngest there, being the only vegetarian on the course I was constantly told I was the odd one out., for not looking like a typical diabetic, not over weight or for not following a meat diet, the whole thing was just bizarre.

I'd sum it up. As Waste of one hour a day for four days.

greycat001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went on the DAFNE course a year ago. I found it really useful and my control is much better now. Just like to mention that most people on the course had been given time off work to attend (not used their holiday) I hadn't even thought of that so it is always worth asking!

Darwin195

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I attended a course last year called the 'KARON' course it was at my local hospital, it was really help and get me to understand diabetes and every that comes with it

Reactions: 2 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Going on the Desmond Course next Thursday 16th Feb 2016 will let you all know how I get on:)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
X-pert the course dietitian spent most of the time swigging on full fat Coke, whilst pointing out there was nothing that you couldn't eat, at that time I had a BMI of 22 and was quiet muscular also the youngest there, being the only vegetarian on the course I was constantly told I was the odd one out., for not looking like a typical diabetic, not over weight or for not following a meat diet, the whole thing was just bizarre.

I'd sum it up. As Waste of one hour a day for four days.
I did it not long after I was diagnosed. Could not get over the contradictory infirmation we were given.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did the x-pert course. A bit disappointing. Also the diabetes uk course recently in Telford. Well organised;but, again, the usual dodgy diet advice.

Nuck

Berti - This was in Essex. The staff were great and a real credit to the NHS. They bonded with the patients and the bond has stuck.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just finished the Xpert diabetes course.

It was decent but very centred on the eat well plate.

The basic information was good, you just have to ignore the eat well plate stuff. I'd rather see my friends and family go through the course than they have nothing, so I suppose yes I would recommend it.

I think personally it would have been more helpful if I wasn't trained in diet and nutrition and well researched on the subject.

Reactions: 3 people

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
never been offered a course. This being Cornwall we probably not funded

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
This month we're taking a look at structured diabetes education courses in the UK and how well they work.

Have you taken one since you were diagnosed? If so, how helpful did you find it, if at all?

If you haven't taken any courses - is that because you've never been offered a place, or because you just felt like you didn't need it?

Would you recommend the course(s) to any of your friends if they were to get diagnosed with diabetes?

I have no idea what the courses are like because I haven't been able to attend one. I have been offered one it's just taking an enormously long time to get to it. I was diagnosed end of December last year and my course (Desmond) isn't until May. I don't know, but it does seem to me to be a horrendously long wait, but perhaps that's a normal waiting period?

I'd like to know what happens, what they can find to tell you that's going to take all **** day? And won't I have already found it all out from reading threads and asking questions here?

Ah, I guess if some people only get offered a course after 20 years, then May doesn't look like such a long time after all. What worries me is that 'Desmond' doesn't sound as if it's going to be any use to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
In my opinion people should always attend the first day of any course then make your own judgment same for dietician and DN & retinopathy should be attended by all These people are their to help you

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
I would love to attend these courses but nothing passes the Tamar

LolPer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GP put me on Desmond course which wasn't that helpful re diet as the DNs were still pushing the Low Fat and Carb eating plate and I follow the LCHF diet. Otherwise it was useful. I have a designated DN at the surgery as she is very supportive even though I am not following the NHS guidelines re diet. I was diagnosed after attending an invitation to a Research Trial aimed at stopping pre diabetics going on to develop diabetes. I was picked for the trial which covers a 3 year period. It started with 13 half day lessons every fortnight and covered the entire topic of diabetes. This has been very helpful and it is good to share experiences with others in the same boat although I am the only one with T2, the others are pre diabetic. The trial still pushes the low fat and carb eating plate. They are aware that I am not following this. We are now on a maintaining period with half day lessons every 2 months. This has been useful and I am aware that the other participants have all made some progress with weight loss. The programme does not include testing of BG as part of the eating plan (checks made at 6 months). I eat to my BG by testing following advice from this Forum which has been the best learning I could have had. I have lost 2 stone since July 2015 and my BG readings are usually in the 5's. My next check up is due in April and I am hopeful that all readings will be down further. My greatest thanks goes to Forum members.

Reactions: 4 people

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Going on a Desmond shortly, 21 April.
I will keep you informed as to its value to me.

Reactions: 7 people

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good luck

Reactions: 2 people