T1D, Pregnant and Hyperemesis Gravidarum

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hello, My name's Emma and I have had Type One Diabetes for 11 yrs, I wear an Omnipod and have done for 5 yrs. I am 23 weeks pregnant and for the first 13 weeks suffered from something called Hyperemesis Gravidarum, which is acute morning, noon and night sickness up to 40 times a day. I wasn't able to eat or drink, I had ketones (due to dehydration and starvation), lost 10 kg, had excessive salivation and was in a state! My sugars didn't go above 3.5mmols for that whole time and I have thus ended up with an HBA1C of 4.2% at the moment. For the last few weeks I have been better but still occasional bouts of sickness and nausea. I see the odd high, which is usually when my pump has malfunctioned, which panics me so much as I worry it will harm the baby, I probably check my sugars far too much, but mostly my sugars are below 7 and I find I still hypo a lot due to being so sensitive to insulin still. I have been told that I should be becoming more resistant to insulin soon!
The baby, so far, has luckily been fine and my 20 week scan was normal. I am now waiting for the 24 week heart scan. I don't know why I haven't come on this forum sooner, but I look forward to being involved.
We moved from London to Wiltshire last October and I am a health food blogger / recipe creator.

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome, Emma - and congratulations on your pregnancy :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Emma
welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome Emma. So pleased to read you are feeling a bit better now, that must of been an anxious and a scary time for you. Good luck with your pregnancy and fingers crossed X
Best wishes RRB

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Emma congrats and welcome! I wasn't as bad as you but suffered badly during my pregnancy with my twins it's horrible especially controlling the diabetes. I hope things continue to get a bit better for you xx

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi Emma congrats and welcome! I wasn't as bad as you but suffered badly during my pregnancy with my twins it's horrible especially controlling the diabetes. I hope things continue to get a bit better for you xx
Thank you so much. Lovely to hear that you have had twins. I feel so lucky to be pregnant but it was a horrific start! Did you have a very tight sugar control throughout? I can't seem to stop the lows!

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Emma. Congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope that the HG settles for you! Sounds like you're doing a great job with your control. I had very tight control during pregnancy too but unfortunately as diabetics we will get the odd spike. I tested loads too but I think that's a good thing as it allows you to catch any spikes. I don't think you can test too much during pregnancy x

Reactions: 2 people

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi Emma. Congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope that the HG settles for you! Sounds like you're doing a great job with your control. I had very tight control during pregnancy too but unfortunately as diabetics we will get the odd spike. I tested loads too but I think that's a good thing as it allows you to catch any spikes. I don't think you can test too much during pregnancy x
Thank you so much, yes over testing seems like the norm, my poor fingers! But I agree, I'd much rather test too much for the time being then not enough! I am definitely over the worse of the HG, thank goodness, that combined with T1d too was certainly challenging! Hope you had a successful pregnancy x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much. Lovely to hear that you have had twins. I feel so lucky to be pregnant but it was a horrific start! Did you have a very tight sugar control throughout? I can't seem to stop the lows!
Hiya my hba1c was quite good with my twins but did have the occasional high and quite a few lows. It's just awful though when you feel ill all the time. I was lucky with my 2yr old as I wasn't really sick with her just got pre eclampsia with her (and she is now t1 too) x

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure it was a challenge, I can't even imagine, glad to hear you're over the worst of it! I think we all worry and panic during pregnancy, it's completely natural when we are responsible for regulating our own BS where non-ds don't even have to think about this and take it for granted but you're doing really well and both you and baby will be well monitored throughout. There are plenty of ladies here who have been there or are currently going through it so feel free to chat and ask questions! Yes thanks I have a beautiful 8 month old and can honestly say it was worth every second of worry during pregnancy, would do it all again :)

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
I'm sure it was a challenge, I can't even imagine, glad to hear you're over the worst of it! I think we all worry and panic during pregnancy, it's completely natural when we are responsible for regulating our own BS where non-ds don't even have to think about this and take it for granted but you're doing really well and both you and baby will be well monitored throughout. There are plenty of ladies here who have been there or are currently going through it so feel free to chat and ask questions! Yes thanks I have a beautiful 8 month old and can honestly say it was worth every second of worry during pregnancy, would do it all again :)
Yes I agree, I think it is only natural for us all to worry about our pregnancies and the what if's....esp when we have T1 to deal with too... it's a daily job all on it's own!! I will certainly be asking more questions and thank you so much for commenting, it's so nice to hear that you have a beautiful healthy 8 month yr old. I just cannot wait to have my very own here. I'll keep nurturing and stay as calm as possible until then! Emma x

Reactions: 5 people

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hiya my hba1c was quite good with my twins but did have the occasional high and quite a few lows. It's just awful though when you feel ill all the time. I was lucky with my 2yr old as I wasn't really sick with her just got pre eclampsia with her (and she is now t1 too) x
Sorry to hear she has T1 too, but she's in the best hands possible I imagine! I am taking aspirin to hopefully prevent pre-eclampsia- although there's always going to be a risk no matter what! Did you take aspirin too? Did you get induced earlier because of it? Sorry for all the questions- and no rush to reply! Emma x

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I agree, I think it is only natural for us all to worry about our pregnancies and the what if's....esp when we have T1 to deal with too... it's a daily job all on it's own!! I will certainly be asking more questions and thank you so much for commenting, it's so nice to hear that you have a beautiful healthy 8 month yr old. I just cannot wait to have my very own here. I'll keep nurturing and stay as calm as possible until then! Emma x
Enjoy your pregnancy, I spent a lot of time worrying during mine but it goes by so fast and time goes even faster once baby is here! x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, My name's Emma and I have had Type One Diabetes for 11 yrs, I wear an Omnipod and have done for 5 yrs. I am 23 weeks pregnant and for the first 13 weeks suffered from something called Hyperemesis Gravidarum, which is acute morning, noon and night sickness up to 40 times a day. I wasn't able to eat or drink, I had ketones (due to dehydration and starvation), lost 10 kg, had excessive salivation and was in a state! My sugars didn't go above 3.5mmols for that whole time and I have thus ended up with an HBA1C of 4.2% at the moment. For the last few weeks I have been better but still occasional bouts of sickness and nausea. I see the odd high, which is usually when my pump has malfunctioned, which panics me so much as I worry it will harm the baby, I probably check my sugars far too much, but mostly my sugars are below 7 and I find I still hypo a lot due to being so sensitive to insulin still. I have been told that I should be becoming more resistant to insulin soon!
The baby, so far, has luckily been fine and my 20 week scan was normal. I am now waiting for the 24 week heart scan. I don't know why I haven't come on this forum sooner, but I look forward to being involved.
We moved from London to Wiltshire last October and I am a health food blogger / recipe creator.

Hi Emma I'm 32w pregnant and still suffering on and off with HG, have been hospitalised a couple of times, constantly chased low bg's and only just started to put on some weight, although I've got a decent sized bump lol so I know exactly how you're feeling! Such a pain isn't it :(

I try to make the most of the days I feel ok n feed me n baby up but obviously have to be careful of the opposite effect of then having higher bgs... Nightmare!

When you say you see highs because of your pump malfunctioning why does that happen? Not TOO often I hope?

Glad everything is ok with baby at the scans, I've got my 32w growth scan on Friday so hoping everything is ok, she was growing as she should be at the 28w one so fingers crossed she's still doing the same :) Abbie xx

PaleoWithMrsP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi Emma I'm 32w pregnant and still suffering on and off with HG, have been hospitalised a couple of times, constantly chased low bg's and only just started to put on some weight, although I've got a decent sized bump lol so I know exactly how you're feeling! Such a pain isn't it :(

I try to make the most of the days I feel ok n feed me n baby up but obviously have to be careful of the opposite effect of then having higher bgs... Nightmare!

When you say you see highs because of your pump malfunctioning why does that happen? Not TOO often I hope?

Glad everything is ok with baby at the scans, I've got my 32w growth scan on Friday so hoping everything is ok, she was growing as she should be at the 28w one so fingers crossed she's still doing the same :) Abbie xx
Hi Abbie,
Thanks for your message. I am having my 24 week heart scan on Wednesday, did you have one of them? Apparently it's a big one so i'm a little worried but I'm hoping it'll be ok. I don't have many highs at all..... and I check my blood sugars every 2 hours pretty much so the rare times I have had a high they have been bought straight down again. My HBA1C is 4.5% and isn't really moving! I wish you all the best for your 32 week scan, I am sure it'll be really healthy and happy....I also hope that the HG gets easier at least....it's the worst thing to suffer from as a T1D too...... but I just think everything that is thrown at us just makes us stronger!
Emma x