After a bit of advice please

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I finally had what my hospital call a "pre pump assessment" which seemed to go well, pump nurse and Dsn thought I have a good case for pump and maybe cgm as I have lost driving licence due to hypos and am hypo unaware.
Then I received a letter saying that pump consultant wants me to have some tests done before a decision is made.
Tests are
Coeliac screen
Calcium
Synacthen

So I'm a bit confused? Anyone else had these tests before being put on a pump?

Anyway same day another letter came with an appointment to attend crawpump? Pump clinic in August

Pump nurse said at meeting that I would be looking at starting pump end of julyso maybe it is appointment for that.

Waiting for a call back from Dsn but would welcome any advice or personal experiences

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I got asked for a Thyroid and Coeliac test on the same day my pump appointments were underway. The two were unrelated.

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got asked for a Thyroid and Coeliac test on the same day my pump appointments were underway. The two were unrelated.
Unrelated maybe, but at the same point in the process, may be a link? So nothing to be worried about would you think @tim2000?

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Hirstygirl and glad to hear your pump is underway!

I have not been asked to do these tests and am due to start on my pump in the next week (hopefully). Though I suppose all these places are different. I am sure the tests are nothing to worry about though. :) All the best.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Unrelated maybe, but at the same point in the process, may be a link? So nothing to be worried about would you think @tim2000?
Well, both are autoimmune conditions, so it seems that some consultants have started to cross check.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It must just be pre-pump protocol, I had to have bloods taken prior to moving to moving to a pump and I recall one of them was for Coeliac Disease.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Perhaps some hospitals check that there isn't another problem causing poor diabetes control before paying for a pump?

I say ask them why you have to have them. Would be interesting to know if they're only bothering to check for things if they think it might save them some pump money, rather than because it might make you (us all!) better!

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It must just be pre-pump protocol, I had to have bloods taken prior to moving to moving to a pump and I recall one of them was for Coeliac Disease.

That is what I was thinking to be honest @noblehead but I haven't had an official yes you can have a pump yet, the pre pump assessment was with pump nurse, dsn and dietitian who said they would feed back info to the consultant, hence the confusion

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is what I was thinking to be honest @noblehead but I haven't had an official yes you can have a pump yet, the pre pump assessment was with pump nurse, dsn and dietitian who said they would feed back info to the consultant, hence the confusion

Wouldn't want to build your hopes up @Hirstygirl, but if your consultant has requested all these tests in a pre-pump clinic then there's a good chance that you'll end up with a pump (hopefully anyway).

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps some hospitals check that there isn't another problem causing poor diabetes control before paying for a pump?

I say ask them why you have to have them. Would be interesting to know if they're only bothering to check for things if they think it might save them some pump money, rather than because it might make you (us all!) better!
Am planning to ask, left a message for dsn today but still waiting for a call back, gonna be tomorrow now though.
Don't mind having all the tests in the world if it helps but like you say if it is being done as a way out of funding a pump then that doesn't seem very fair!!
Am hoping as others have said that it is new protocol in the pump process after all we have to have open minds

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't want to build your hopes up @Hirstygirl, but if your consultant has requested all these tests in a pre-pump clinic then there's a good chance that you'll end up with a pump (hopefully anyway).
I sure do hope so don't mind jumping through as many hoops as it takes if it leads to the right outcome (pumping)

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Hirstygirl and glad to hear your pump is underway!

I have not been asked to do these tests and am due to start on my pump in the next week (hopefully). Though I suppose all these places are different. I am sure the tests are nothing to worry about though. :) All the best.
Good luck with pump starting @Jubblyjo please let me know how you get on

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
So I finally had what my hospital call a "pre pump assessment" which seemed to go well, pump nurse and Dsn thought I have a good case for pump and maybe cgm as I have lost driving licence due to hypos and am hypo unaware.
Then I received a letter saying that pump consultant wants me to have some tests done before a decision is made.
Tests are
Coeliac screen
Calcium
Synacthen

Sounds to me as if your consultant is checking to see if any of the conditions being tested for are causing your hypos. If this is the case it should not stop you having a pump though.

Reactions: 2 people