Study reveals link between psoriasis and type 2 diabetes

DCUK NewsBot

A link has been found between the skin condition psoriasis, type 2 diabetes and obesity, researchers have said. The study has also shown that people with psoriasis are more likely to develop obesity and type 2 diabetes. The research involved looking at medical data including height, weight, diagnoses of psoriasis and diabetes, lifestyle and environmental factors of around 33,500 Danish twins. Among the nearly 460 individuals with type 2 diabetes, 7.6 per cent also had psoriasis; among those without type 2 diabetes, just 4.2 per cent had the skin condition. Researchers also said that those with the skin condition weighed more than those without it. The study, which was led by Dr Ann Sophie Lonnberg from the University of Copenhagen, also showed that those who had psoriasis tended to have a higher body mass index. Researchers think the link between psoriasis and obesity could partly be the result of a common genetic cause. Dr Lonnberg said: "Psoriasis is a complex disorder. The genetic background for the disease and its many comorbidities (co-existing conditions) have not yet been fully uncovered. "The reason psoriasis and obesity are associated is not only due to a common lifestyle, but they are also associated due to common genes. It is important to treat psoriasis and obesity and diabetes, since they are risk factors for heart disease and could have serious effects on overall health." Researchers have suggested the common link between the skin condition and obesity may be the result of a common genetic cause. The study appears in the online journal JAMA.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting though I have heard about this in the past - I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and PCOS so I had no chance did with the T2 did I?:arghh:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@DCUK NewsBot - Interesting article. I have had Type 2 Diabetes for 16 years and have suffered with Psoriasis for 42 years.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@lovinglife - Hello:). How long have you suffered with Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis? Do you use anything for these conditions? I have had Psoriasis now for 42 years and presently on my 3rd Biological Drug = Consentyx.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on a hiding to nothing now. Had Psoriasis since I was six which gradually went when I went through the menopause and I also have an under-active thyroid. According to the DN these things are not linked???

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Psoriasis and PCOS all adult life. RH and T2. Obese.

Fun fun fun.

But good they have spotted a link. Now they just have to sort out why, and come up with sensible ways to prevent the 'progression'

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife suffers from Psoriasis, and I have T2D so the link is proven in my mind :eek: