Hungry, day 1 of Newcastle Diet

Billy007

Hi, day 1 of this diet has been difficult. Hypo at 3pm, hungry now before bed, scared of having a hypo during nighttime. What can I eat now to stop this happening?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, day 1 of this diet has been difficult. Hypo at 3pm, hungry now before bed, scared of having a hypo during nighttime. What can I eat now to stop this happening?

Billy, I neither did the diet, nor have I ever taken any medication for my diabetes. Did you discuss doing the ND with your Doc before starting it? If so, what did they say about your medication?

Professor Taylor suggests that those taking drugs which can induce hypos to do so under supervision.

I might be inclined to have some cheese or protein and see how you go. It could be you need to defer starting the diet until you have had advice on potentially adjusting your medication as you go along.

What did you do when you had your hypo earlier?

Reactions: 2 people

Billy007

Earlier I ate some cherry toms and 2 squares of dark chocolate, I know this is not on the diet sheet!! Not under any supervision, just thought I would try the diet to improve fasting BS and lose some weight.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glic will make you hypo. You need to talk to your doctor/nurse because you will need to reduce/stop it whilst fasting. As already said you need to eat some food that is going to release glucose to combat the glic. Protein may do this but you will need to test and find out.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are taking gliclazide, you need to consult your doctor for advice over the suitability of this drug during the newcastle diet.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you all for the advise, I'll book in to see DN before I continue
Hi there...I'm type2 too on various meds and doing fasting...without medical supervision:rolleyes: I faced similar situation than you are going through when decided to drastically change food intake. The difference with me was that I slowly eased my body into it by doing LCHF diet first and reducing my meds as test results improved. When I started fasting...first couple of days I have been testing my bloods every hour and once I felt safer...stretching the gap into 2 hours and now doing them every 3 hours. Because so drastic change to the amount what I eat and blood sugars running constantly on the lower end of normal/near my usual hypo numbers...I stopped taking all my medications (NOTE; they were already reduced before I even started fasting).
It is possible to do such a drastic changes when you are taking medicines..but it cannot be done safely without altering them if you make big changes into your diet.
Even if it is not recommended to be done without medical supervision....(I recently just had this conversation with my diabetic nurse)....many nurses/doctors don't have great knowledge of fasting or special diets and their effects to our bodys...to alter medicines yes. But as things are in many hospitals....trying to get appointment to discuss about this issue is another matter as getting routine appointments is often hard enough..never mind getting them agree with big changes with diet :rolleyes:
If you are going to have a go at it on your own.....I would suggest take changes really slow...test your blood regurlarly...write it all down to provide yourself (and for DN/doctor) some proof of what you have eaten, how the blood tests have responded and what changes you have done to your medicine levels, and again...how your blood test have responded to those changes.
You maybe are better off to modify the diet plan so you don't tackle it straight on...maybe few weeks starting as doing it couple of days a week increasing it to alternative days, easing your body to it...and if your blood sugars start staying lower end of normal..decide then what to do with your medicine intake or you have then that 'proof' and you can show to doctor/nurse and they are more willing then to help you with changes as your figures show that it is necessary....and you can then say 'I'm going to push myself little more...how do I go with my meds then...?';) It maybe that already doing alternative days is proving to be beneficial and you are able to drop other medicine and take only metformin (that having less drastic effect for blood sugars).That proof works other way too....it shows that you are determined with your plans and they are not just a some light hearted thing you have jumped into...you mean the 'business'..they are far more to take you seriously and take interest when they have some 'black on white' for them to see how it is benefiting you.
I'm afraid my recommendation is sloooow progress...but believe me it truly is worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy007

Hi, I had been low carb for last few weeks so was getting body used to this. Perhaps your idea of fasting alternative days is better, and will start jotting BS numbers. Thankyou