Support System

caarlyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone.

I've only recently joined, posted a couple times. Long story short, I was diagnosed with T1 when I was 2 and am approaching my 22nd Diaversary in September. Been on the pump for about 6-7 years, let things slide when I was off at college and am now looking for a support system to help me get back on track so I can live a long, healthy, happy life and hopefully one day get pregnant.

I'm awful with testing - so much so that while I was on my own in college, I raised my basal levels high enough that I didn't need to test unless something was drastically wrong and sometimes even didn't need to bolus for my meals (which has now lead me down the path of denial and forgetfulness).

I'm hoping there are others out there who are going through something similar, or are looking for a support system to get back on track to where they need to be - I've tried relying on friends and family only to have those relationships nearly die because I was constantly lying and defending myself for my imperfect actions, so I think that being dependable to someone who I don't actually know and someone who understands what I'm going through might help.

Thanks for taking the time to listen, hope to chat with you soon.
Carly.

Reactions: 2 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there :) you're in the right place!!
I'm 22 though have only had type 1 for just over a year
I'm glad I didn't have to go through my teen years with it, seems to be where most people struggle! The fact you want to get back on track is great though. I'm amazed and confused as to how you managed to keep yourself going mostly just on basal! haha

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @caarlyx I've been through similar myself, was diagnosed young, wasn't hugely bothered about testing bg n correct insulin doses etc so although I'm not going through it now can 100% relate to what you're going through

I think friends n family can be supportive to an extent but they don't 'get it' like others with diabetes do

When I started to drive was my main turning point I think, you must test before you get behind the wheel so that helped to get me into a routine with testing n then I kinda became a bit more 'bothered'

It's better to take one day at a time n just do little changes rather than suddenly try to be the perfect diabetic (which non of us are)

I've slowly got my hba1c to a level I'm extremely happy with and am currently 33w pregnant so things can defo change! Feel free to message me if you wanted to talk privately or ask any questions xx

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @caarlyx
you've come to the right place:)

all the best !!!!

caarlyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone - this community seems to have a huge positive following and I can already tell it's going to help me get back on track.

I'm always open to talk to anyone, diabetes or not, so don't be scared to PM me please :)

caarlyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @caarlyx I've been through similar myself, was diagnosed young, wasn't hugely bothered about testing bg n correct insulin doses etc so although I'm not going through it now can 100% relate to what you're going through

I've slowly got my hba1c to a level I'm extremely happy with and am currently 33w pregnant so things can defo change! Feel free to message me if you wanted to talk privately or ask any questions xx

Thanks for the kind words - I didn't have this problem when I started driving, and kept my sugars mainly higher than they should've been so I got away with it.

Congratulations on getting your a1c down and getting pregnant! That's amazing news, I hope you are doing well and have a beautiful healthy baby when the time comes :) :)

caarlyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm amazed and confused as to how you managed to keep yourself going mostly just on basal! haha

haha, it took a lot of guessing and accidental fine tuning to get it "right" (not really though because my a1c was 10% still....), but it certainly allowed for a more convenient lifestyle when other things at the time seemed to be more of a priority. Looking back I wish I paid more attention to myself because I'm definitely suffering the consequences now (luckily nothing serious, just the pain of adjusting all rates and getting back into the swing of things).