Optifast 800 shakes/soups/bars

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
Where can I buy Optifast 800 shakes/soups/bars recommended for the Newcastle diet? I am using Atkins at the moment which is low carb and low sugar and compared to Slimfast products (which I noticed is so high in sugar) which is great but wondered if I should switch to Optifast as this was used in the trial. Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I would choose a better, low carb shake brand, and add a multivit.

As I understand it, Professor Taylor only chose the Optifast because it was sponsored, available and provided standard portion sizes. So any meal replacement shake would do. He has even said this in his lectures.

The sugary content of most of the available shakes (including Optifast) would make them unacceptable for me.

There is a lower carb, but somewhat pricey meal replacement shake called Almased, which was great for my blood glucose. Only used it a short time, but liked it a lot. Got it from eBay, but think it is now available in Boots.

Reactions: 4 people

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks. As I said, I am using Atkins brand as after doing a bit of online 'research' all the other products (including Slimfast) had such a high sugar content. I am happy to stick with Atkins if we don't necessarily need to use Optifast but I will also google Almased and have a look at that too. Thanks for your help, will give it a go as have tried all the slimming clubs (Slimming World, Weightwatchers etc) but was so fed up with only losing a pound or half a pound one week and then nothing the following week ie I just felt I was taking one step forward and 2 or 3 steps backwards (I guess you call it yo-yo ing!).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol. I feel your pain! Some of us are just too carb sensitive for the orthodox diets to work on.

I was like that. Tried the WeightWatchers one. Only lasted a week. Felt like death, cold, shaky and RAVENOUSLY hungry the whole time - but then it was a higher carb content than I had eaten for year.
- switched back to my lovely low carbing and felt 100x better.

Yet some ppl flourish on them. I think it all depends on insulin resistance and carb sensitivity.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What is the sugar content in the Almased shakes per serving please? thanks

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where can I buy Optifast 800 shakes/soups/bars recommended for the Newcastle diet? I am using Atkins at the moment which is low carb and low sugar and compared to Slimfast products (which I noticed is so high in sugar) which is great but wondered if I should switch to Optifast as this was used in the trial. Thanks
Have you read the threads on here on the Newcastle diet.
The carb content has never been an issue to anyone that has used an equivalent shake, and indeed it would appear that there may have been possibly better results from doing the diet as originally described.

Certainly for those who don't restrict calories, carbs have to be restricted instead.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
if I should switch to Optifast as this was used in the trial. Thanks
Hi @carina62
The Atkins shakes should be fine as long as made up they come in at around 200 calories. as @Brunneria pointed out the carb content is not the main thing in Newcastle it is the calories. Good luck with the ND I had very good results with both BG levels and weight and am now medication free and in the normal range for BG levels. Let us know how you are going and if you have any questions along the way
Cheers

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Muzza3 - did you stick to the 600 calories per day as the ND suggests? what about the 5:2 diet? would that produce as good results too? I will be inspired by your success in this :)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Muzza3 - did you stick to the 600 calories per day as the ND suggests? what about the 5:2 diet? would that produce as good results too? I will be inspired by your success in this :)
Hi Carina
I actually used the 800 calorie version
Breakfast Shake 200calories
Lunch Shake 200 calories
After Work(5-6pm) Shake 200 calories
Dinner Vegetables Steamed 200 Calories

I did this for eight weeks. Each day I checked my FBG and Weighed each morning but only recorded my weight-loss once a week. I kept a post in the Low Calorie Diet Section and updated it each week and got some great support from on here.(Downunder on the Newcastle Diet).

I haven't done the 5:2 diet but if you can stick at the Newcastle Diet I would recommend it as it has worked for me and many others. I am not a big fan of fasting as it is hard enough eating just 800 calories a day let alone none. Good luck and it may help to start a thread and record your journey so that you can get support from myself and others to help you keep motivated and with any issues that come up along he way

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: edodo and Serena51

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to through something else into the mix, I used Complan/Build up soups too just to get something savoury into my diet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I originally used Lipotrim. They were only available at phamacies, and expensive, but included monitoring of weight, keytones, BP and general health, including medication needs.
I have subsequently used Shake that Weight. Available online. The advantage with these is that their programmes are flexible, and you can include a meal with real food. I noticed that STW has recently added noodles to the range of meal replacement products. Great if you like that sort of food, and helps prevent the programme from becoming too monotonous

www.lipotrim.co.uk

Shake That Weight: Weight Loss Diet Plans For Men & Women
www.shakethatweight.co.uk

Dazzy_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
What is the sugar content in the Almased shakes per serving please? thanks
Hi Carina,
If you look up the product on Amazon, you can zoom into the pictures on the left hand side and these give the whole nutritional picture.....hope this helps
Daryl

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Carina
I actually used the 800 calorie version
Breakfast Shake 200calories
Lunch Shake 200 calories
After Work(5-6pm) Shake 200 calories
Dinner Vegetables Steamed 200 Calories

I did this for eight weeks. Each day I checked my FBG and Weighed each morning but only recorded my weight-loss once a week. I kept a post in the Low Calorie Diet Section and updated it each week and got some great support from on here.(Downunder on the Newcastle Diet).

I haven't done the 5:2 diet but if you can stick at the Newcastle Diet I would recommend it as it has worked for me and many others. I am not a big fan of fasting as it is hard enough eating just 800 calories a day let alone none. Good luck and it may help to start a thread and record your journey so that you can get support from myself and others to help you keep motivated and with any issues that come up along he way
@muzza3, hope you don't mind me pointing out, fasting does not involve no calories or food at all. All sorts of ways to fast. Jason Fung explains the concept well.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...and, not wishing to derail
- but i find fasting for up to 24 hrs FAR easier than calorie restriction.
The former, i forget about food, the latter, i obsess about food.
:D

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But calorie restriction gets BMI into normal levels.
Been there, done that.
24 hour fasting doesn't.

Willpower is different for many people though, so do what you can manage.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But calorie restriction gets BMI into normal levels.
Been there, done that.
24 hour fasting doesn't.

Willpower is different for many people though, so do what you can manage.
Aw, come on, @SunnyExpat , surely you mean you found that calorie restriction worked best for you?
Just as 24 hour fasting works best for some. Also, depending on the fasting method chosen, a 24 hour fast is, by definition, a calorie restriction method.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aw, come on, @SunnyExpat , surely you mean you found that calorie restriction worked best for you?
Just as 24 hour fasting works best for some. Also, depending on the fasting method chosen, a 24 hour fast is, by definition, a calorie restriction method.

What's the BMI after a 24 hour fast, compared to something like the Newcastle diet the op was talking about?
There seems to be posters, who can't manage a calorie restricted diet, with a higher than normal BMI suggesting it shouldn't be done. I've done a calorie restricted diet, I have a normal BMI, I have sent my diabetes into remission, I can eat a reasonable amount of carbs, so I'm not so quick to rubbish it in favour of a quick 24 hr fix, that wouldn't work the same way. Even though, I agree, it's way easier. Hard results need hard action sometimes.
And congratulations to the op for going for it, it's a chance not to be missed.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's the BMI after a 24 hour fast, compared to something like the Newcastle diet the op was talking about?
There seems to be posters, who can't manage a calorie restricted diet, with a higher than normal BMI suggesting it shouldn't be done. I've done a calorie restricted diet, I have a normal BMI, I have sent my diabetes into remission, I can eat a reasonable amount of carbs, so I'm not so quick to rubbish it in favour of a quick 24 hr fix, that wouldn't work the same way. Even though, I agree, it's way easier. Hard results need hard action sometimes.
And congratulations to the op for going for it, it's a chance not to be missed.

I think we have different ideas of the definition of 24 hour fast. I haven't perceived any 'rubbshing' of calorie restricted diets in this thread, either.
I agree that Newcastle diet method can be very beneficial. I would have to, considering what I achieved with it. I applaud the OP, for finding out as much as possible before embarking on that method. It is not for everyone though. We each need to set our own goals. For some that will be BMI within 'normal' range. Others, me included, it will be good blood glucose control. To achieve both would indeed be the holy grail. I admire anyone who has managed to achieve that. More so those who achieve and maintain long term. I hope that will include you @SunnyExpat . You should be, rightly, proud of your achievement.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed, anyone that posts in the low calorie diet forum, asking about the Newcastle diet, will always get my full support. No deviation necessary.
It is a shame that some perceptions are it's not for everyone though, I see it as eight weeks compared to a lifetime, even if it is only a chance.