Newly Diagnosed Terrified and in Denial!

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@LucySW thanks for this I certainly feel in much better control 2 weeks post diagnosis.

I think my main fear about Metformin and the reason I really want to do this without it is (and I know not everyone gets the side effects) if I did have the side effects of runny bowels and a bad stomach it would stop me doing so many of the things that i think actually add to my health, like swimming, yoga classes, long walks.

I have another 10 weeks before I have to go back for another Hba1c so I want to really hit this and get as stable as possible so that I can hopefully not have to take the tablets.

I also think that if I can get this under control without using the tablets then if things worsen along the line and I can no longer keep control with diet and excercise then I can start the tablets and not have to bring in the big Meds guns.

Thanks for the articles x

Reactions: 4 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lindy1706 What a difference 3 weeks makes! Wow, well done! I would have exactly your approach to medication, for me it is the last option if all else fails. I know that Metformin is a benign drug and if you don't get the gastric issues there seems to be no downside. In the past I have been on all sorts of medication and I'm glad to be shot of all of it (apart from anti-coagulants, know I'm a 'lifer' on them but don't particularly like it) - but if there is a lifestyle change that can negate the necessity I would always take that route. Not just diabetes, there are lots of conditions that lifestyle changes remedy. I think the basic problem is the 'drug solution' is the one that our doctors are principally taught and it is totally reinforced by NICE guidelines and protocols.

@LucySW thanks for that, I thought I knew everything there was to know about Cholesterol (for a lay person anyway - certainly more than my doctors seem to know). Thank you again. Some more reading to get my teeth into!

Reactions: 2 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I suppose we are due and update.

I am now 8 Weeks into self testing and almost 9 weeks post diagnosis.

I am still LCHF with a natural eating window of between 12:00 and 20:00 hrs and I am naturally finding that I am doing at least one 24 hour fasts a week.

My last set of stats was as follows;

Weekly Average 5.8
Before Meals 5.6
After Meals 5.7
Out of 36 tests all were within the range of 4.4 - 7.0
Hi Figure of 6.9 and low of 4.4
No readings of 7.0 or over since 26th April
Weight Lost since 10th February 2016 20 kilos

I am now attending the gym daily and taking part in weight sessions, aqua fit, and swimming for 40 mins at a time. I am walking on average 5 kilometers a day and and constantly active (no more couch potato) my hair and nails are growing and my skin is glowing.

I have energy to burn and feel......wonderful.

I have still not opened the meds......This my personal choice as I am not prepared the risk the possible side effects having any detrimental effect on my activity levels or ability to work......and yes I do realize that not everyone gets the side effects. As I say it is my personal choice.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I suppose we are due and update.

I am now 8 Weeks into self testing and almost 9 weeks post diagnosis.

I am still LCHF with a natural eating window of between 12:00 and 20:00 hrs and I am naturally finding that I am doing at least one 24 hour fasts a week.

My last set of stats was as follows;

Weekly Average 5.8
Before Meals 5.6
After Meals 5.7
Out of 36 tests all were within the range of 4.4 - 7.0
Hi Figure of 6.9 and low of 4.4
No readings of 7.0 or over since 26th April
Weight Lost since 10th February 2016 20 kilos

I am now attending the gym daily and taking part in weight sessions, aqua fit, and swimming for 40 mins at a time. I am walking on average 5 kilometers a day and and constantly active (no more couch potato) my hair and nails are growing and my skin is glowing.

I have energy to burn and feel......wonderful.

I have still not opened the meds......This my personal choice as I am not prepared the risk the possible side effects having any detrimental effect on my activity levels or ability to work......and yes I do realize that not everyone gets the side effects. As I say it is my personal choice.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

You go girl!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lindy1706
You have taken control. Well done. Just looking back at your first post it is amazing progress. Brilliant.

Reactions: 2 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Superb, I totally agree with your approach, it feels like getting a second go at life! Well done indeed.

It is very clear, or it will be when you have your HbA1c, that you do not need the medications, so don't apologise! It's a personal choice and it's the right one, if it's possible, as far as I'm concerned. How long will it take before the next generation of doctors are taught lifestyle change promotion as the first treatment option instead of dispensing powerful drugs, all of which have unwanted effects, there isn't a pharmaceutical on the market that doesn't have an 'insert'. It should be a very careful balancing act of weighing up risks and benefits, instead of which, the benefits are hyped and the risks, as often as not, ignored.

Of course some drugs are absolutely essential for life, and quality of life, to be sustained, but if lifestyle changes achieve the desired effect, that's brilliant!

You should read 'Bad Pharma' by Ben Goldacre - actually that's a bit depressing, try 'Doctoring Data' by Malcolm Kendrick that has a little humour. Neither of them focus on diabetes, more an insight into how we have got where we are, with the prescription pad being King, and a lack of 'Evidence based medicine'.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought I ought to round off this thread by sharing my 3 month review results on it.

March HbA1c 118
June HbA1c 44

March Cholesterol 7.7
June Cholesterol 5.9

March Blood pressure 160/90
June Blood Pressure 130/80

I have lost 13 kilos and 22cms round the waist.

I chose to do this without medication, my Doctor prescribed Metformin, statins and Blood pressure tablets my personal choice was not to take them but to really take a lifestyle change seriously. Please note this is pure personal choice on my part.

I have been following a low carb way of eating (20g a day or less) moderate protein (1g per kilo of bodyweight) and whilst not mainlining on fats certainly eating enough to satisfy my hunger and make my meals interesting. I have fallen naturally into eating in a 8 hour window with the occasional 24 hour fast.

Exercise wise I have been doing lots of walking, swimming and aqua aerobics and some light weights to build muscle.

This forum has been a fantastic resource and support. If you are recently diagnosed ask questions, read every resource and make your own decisions about how you will be controlling your diabetes.

Lindy xx