Votes: 101 51.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

debrasue

I imagine the rest of the EU will be playing hardball in the negotiations. The last thing they'll want to do is make it look like leaving is an attractive option for other countries. They'll certainly not be keen on giving us any of the benefits of being in the EU for free. It won't be a case of spite but realpolitik.
At the end of the day. the EU vote was an advisory not a mandatory referendum and nothing will happen until the UK triggers Article 50. There is nothing the EU can do to force us to press that red button, and - unless there is a unanimous vote within the EU - they can't just chuck us out, either. And they're not likely to vote to do that. Once A.50 is triggered it can't be stopped, but legally, it's perfectly possible to never trigger A.50 and instead negotiate a 'new deal' and a second referendum.
So it ain't over until the fat lady sings....
upload_2016-6-24_16-44-16.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Lynbarn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the end of the day. the EU vote was an advisory not a mandatory referendum and nothing will happen until the UK triggers Article 50. There is nothing the EU can do to force us to press that red button, and - unless there is a unanimous vote within the EU - they can't just chuck us out, either. And they're not likely to vote to do that. Once A.50 is triggered it can't be stopped, but legally, it's perfectly possible to never trigger A.50 and instead negotiate a 'new deal' and a second referendum.
So it ain't over until the fat lady sings....
View attachment 19585

But if that was to happen you would have open war fare in the UK and I don't think you would find one UK politician willing to do that. In effect what has happen now is an atomic bomb has been dropped on the EU and we need to wait to see the reaction to what will happen, my guess is we shall see a number of other countries wanting to have there own referendums and the pressure will be that may be one or two will get them, I can see that Greece will default on the next repayment and that could trigger an EU Exit for them.

I may not be around to see it, but it would not surprise me to find that we set up our own trading block almost like a cross between the old EEC and the Commonwealth but with all countries having independent sovereign status. The problem with the EU is it was trying to run before it could walk and political convergence is never going to work when you have different cultural differences from different countries.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I'm seriously tempted to look for a residence in scotland, it would be far better if I could keep eu citizenship.
But I wonder how that would work, say passing into England from France, then into Scotland.
EU- non EU- EU, could be very simple, or very hard.
Thing is, I was born a Scot, born in Glasgow with both parents being Scottish - but live in England and feel myself to be a Scot. I dont even have a right to an opinion where Scotland is concerned

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thing is, I was born a Scot, born in Glasgow with both parents being Scottish - but live in England and feel myself to be a Scot. I dont even have a right to an opinion where Scotland is concerned

I had a quick look, houses cost from next to nothing in Govan, to anything you'd like to pay.
I have a few good memories of bars in Govan, (possibly not 'good' in other peoples opinion), but it was interesting, and it's a cheap postal address.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, I'm seeing stuff on Facebook... Certain "friends" of mine feel they made have "screwed up" with the tickinthebox....

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol, I'm seeing stuff on Facebook... Certain "friends" of mine feel they made have "screwed up" with the tickinthebox....

Boris' 'winning' speech is the epitome of screwed up.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I would be very tempted to go back to Scotland so I could have my say if I were you. Not a decision to take lightly I know, but that's what I would do personally if I was in your shoes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.......... Any one else noticing how very alike Boris Johnson and Donald Trump look? ....... Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
Yep, only mentioned this to my wife earlier this evening.

"David Icke" hat on.. Are we being set up for fools either side of the "pond"???

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I would feel a lot better if we had had some clear concise outlining of what was going to happen next to give some indication that the Leave camp were in control And knew what was coming next......Instead they have acted like someone who has blagen their way through an interview process been offered the job they never thought they would get and have finally realised "oh **** I actually have to do this now".

I am a committed European, have lived. and worked in many differant European countries and to be honest am really really sad.

To be honest both my Husband and I will be talking to the company to ask for a transfer ASAP as neither of us want to live in little Britain but for all of you who voted for this Outcome and are happy with it I wish you all well.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Lynbarn It's highly unlikely a default from Greece would see them kicked out of the eu. More likely the euro, which as you know isn't the same thing.

I do hope those that voted leave recognise that in one fell swoop they have damaged the ability of their kids to even study in the EU? You remember all those "silly racist rules" that some of the leavers banged on about regarding non-EU population entering the UK? Well they apply to us now too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Mixed emotions from me.

I see say for immigration how there aren't certain europeans in say the finacial markets in Lindon and how such influx has actually reduced living wages for people such as lorry drivers and farm workers and people in distrubtion centres etc..so mixed emotions as it seems that bankers etc remain the British Elite....

As for NHS etc I do see that drugs are generally available quicker in USA.. Is this because of EU Regs and rules and tests? I don't know. I think theres more to the NHS than just hospitals, doctors and staffing.. I think drug availability is also a concern.

Is there going to be any affect long term on passports? Or the driving licenses?

I think we have to think of the persons that voted yes/no or not at all and take into account everything and everybodies concerns...

I think Cameron told Europe he wanted to stay in and on that he almost showed his cards as if in a poker game... He could have got a better deal. I'm not pro any political group or in or out of EU in particular.

My hubby has had to deal with many polish peoples concerns today that they would lose their jobs... Because that is what has been in the media in Poland .. Because they have lost so many of their workers. They have been scared by their families and relatives and lolish media that their jobs and livelihods aren't safe in UK if we Brexit..

I just think there are so many opinions etc but we have to really look at all aspects...

This may well be a time that other EU countries re evaluate their EU membership and also have referendums. There are many countries in EU that have been very quiet.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Very quiet from George Osborne today!!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lynbarn It's highly unlikely a default from Greece would see them kicked out of the eu. More likely the euro, which as you know isn't the same thing.

I do hope those that voted leave recognise that in one fell swoop they have damaged the ability of their kids to even study in the EU? You remember all those "silly racist rules" that some of the leavers banged on about regarding non-EU population entering the UK? Well they apply to us now too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thankfully my son has done his stint of studying/working in Europe already. His accommodation costs as a young person were around £40 per month (all bills included) as he was subsidised by the host country - France.

D

debrasue

I'm seeing (and hearing) the same thing. Most are putting it down to lack of information being available before the referendum. (I put it down to wanting to be spoon-fed!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.