Fasting when unwell?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started IF two days a week last week and am due to fast tomorrow, however I've come down with a stinking cold and feel really rough. I'm not sure whether to go ahead with fasting tomorrow.

On one hand, my appetite's not huge at the moment, so it should be even easier, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Has anyone tried it?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I remember of Jason Fung's comments (on his website) he very clearly says that fasting will make you feel hungry, but it should not make you feel ill. Stop fasting immediately if you start to feel like that.

Some people use fasting as a detox cleansing method. Fung obviously doesn't. Lol. So I expect it will come down to a judgement call depending on how you feel.

Maybe some googling will give you an overview you can apply to your present situation.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would try it and if you feel worse then eat something.. I did a 4 day fast after a dose of norovirus.. great for the weight loss and most of it stayed off..didn't make me feel any worse. To be honest I'm not sure anything could have.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, both. I'm doing the Michael Mosely 5:2 - 500 cal a day. Last week I didn't feel hungry at all and felt really good for it.

This cold is draining me and I just feel like death warmed up today. I was a bit concerned that as I feel really weak today, that I won't have enough energy without much food tomorrow.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow and take it from there.

@bulkbiker - Norovirus? Oof, poor you. Yes, I'm a believer of starving any stomach bugs out - if they don't have anything to feed on, they'll die. I've taken my Mum to hospital too many times with that for me to consider it a viable weight-loss aide though!

@Brunneria - as an aside, I made your cinnamon crunch yesterday and had it with some yogurt this morning. V lush indeed - thanks very much!