Type 1 diabetic son

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi my 13 year old son was rushed into hospital in March with DKA and diagnosed with type 1. He was really ill and it is a complete life changer. I just want to swap places with him. He has been poorly twice since then and it's round the clock care doing bm's every two hours. I keep thinking something else is going to happen next

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi my 13 year old son was rushed into hospital in March with DKA and diagnosed with type 1. He was really ill and it is a complete life changer. I just want to swap places with him. He has been poorly twice since then and it's round the clock care doing bm's every two hours. I keep thinking something else is going to happen next

Sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. Type 1 isn't an easy thing and takes work to control. As you've seen, this can be really draining.

I think that the more you know about diabetes and the more you learn about his individual reactions, the easier it becomes. Think Like A Pancreas is a good book if you're looking for information.

Can you tell us a little more about your son's regime? Is he on multiple daily injections? Does he count carbs?

Reactions: 2 people

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Support him, talk openly with him, comfort him and reassure him. But find support for yourself too. Lean on his PDSN for advice and all of us here too. You can do this and you will both be FINE!

Let him do as much of his own care as he feels comfortable to. It will help with his confidence and reassure you that he can manage his diabetes well.

Myself and my daughter (11) were diagnosed within 5 days of each other. We're 5 months down the line now and are both doing well. I know exactly how you feel and the fears/anxiety you have are normal but it will subside.

Just keep swimming xx

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Thank you
Sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. Type 1 isn't an easy thing and takes work to control. As you've seen, this can be really draining.

I think that the more you know about diabetes and the more you learn about his individual reactions, the easier it becomes. Think Like A Pancreas is a good book if you're looking for information.

Can you tell us a little more about your son's regime? Is he on multiple daily injections? Does he count carbs?

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
He injects 4 times a day and we do most of them. His bms are normally good but this is the second time he has been ill in the last month. He ignores what we tell him to do in terms of keeping hydrated and keeps having hypos.

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Thank you this site looks like it will be very useful

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He injects 4 times a day and we do most of them. His bms are normally good but this is the second time he has been ill in the last month. He ignores what we tell him to do in terms of keeping hydrated and keeps having hypos.

It must be difficult having to watch your son coping. If he doenst listen to advice from you, then it might just be fear on his part. I was quite angry when I was first diagnosed and I didn't want people 'bossing me round' even if it was for my own good. It's a big change to daily life for him (and you).

You didn't say whether he counted carbs. If he doesn't, I can't stress enough how important that is for good control.

Is there anything that tends to make him hypo, or any times he often has them?

Sorry for the stupid question, but when you say he's been ill, do you mean with colds and the like or with diabetes-related problems?

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
It must be difficult having to watch your son coping. If he doenst listen to advice from you, then it might just be fear on his part. I was quite angry when I was first diagnosed and I didn't want people 'bossing me round' even if it was for my own good. It's a big change to daily life for him (and you).

You didn't say whether he counted carbs. If he doesn't, I can't stress enough how important that is for good control.

Sorry for the stupid question, but when you say he's been ill, do you mean with colds and the like or with diabetes-related problems?
Yes we count his carbs. Normally he is okay but sometimes I feel like I'm nagging and doing something wrong

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people

First time he had sore throat and had antibiotics this time just sore throat and not eating or drinking he seems better tonight but had a stressful day

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First time he had sore throat and had antibiotics this time just sore throat and not eating or drinking he seems better tonight but had a stressful day

I've got a cold at the moment so I think there are a few bugs going round. Being ill with diabetes is extra-hard because you can't just eat and drink what you fancy without thinking. Ive had Type 1 for more than 20 years but being ill always makes me feel worse, mentally as well as physically. so his reactions to illnesses now may be more intense.

If you're worried he's not drinking enough, could you try fizzy water or sugar free squash, or even make ice lollies out of sugar free squash. They're soothing when you have a sore throat and sugar free means you don't have to worry about carbs.

I'm sure you're not, but don't underestimate the effect of a diabetes diagnosis. It can make you feel very alone. Let your son know how proud you are of how he's coping, and that you understand it's hard.