Type 1 Diabetic Prime Minister

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks likely that the UK could have a Type 1 Diabetic as Prime Minister in Teresa May.

Would this be good for T1 diabetes?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sadly if Theresa was elected i don't think much would change for us type 1's, they are still a million miles apart from any of us in the real world ;)

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
You mean in the way that Thatcher did so much for women? Tories don't work like that, she'll take away their benefits and make them pay for their treatment on the basis she's getting on OK and she's just an ordinary grammar school girl...... blah blah blah. She'll carry on selling off the NHS just the same.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I bet she will get a pump without having to jump through hoops like us mere mortals if she does become pm.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In terms of raising the profile.

I see, well yes hopefully it will raise the profile of diabetes............although I suspect that her policies and actions as PM (if elected) will take centre stage and her health status will be secondary.

There was a good article about her in the Balance Magazine a few issues ago, she seems to be adapting well to life with diabetes.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
You mean in the way that Thatcher did so much for women? Tories don't work like that, she'll take away their benefits and make them pay for their treatment on the basis she's getting on OK and she's just an ordinary grammar school girl...... blah blah blah. She'll carry on selling off the NHS just the same.

Your responses are a real tonic... better than Peter Kay live at the Top Of The Tower:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It looks likely that the UK could have a Type 1 Diabetic as Prime Minister in Teresa May.

Type 1 and prime minister, no thanks, both are hard slogs and being a PM, even more, 24/7 :wideyed:

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

It may make the general public and NHS staff know there is a Type 1 and then, well who know's.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may make the general public and NHS staff know there is a Type 1 and then, well who know's.

I was under the impression the public & the NHS was already awair of the existence of Type one...

I won't let diabetes define who Teresa May is..

She's a Tory politician first & formost. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was under the impression the public & the NHS was already awair of the existence of Type one...

I won't let diabetes define who Teresa May is..

She's a Tory politician first & formost. :rolleyes:

Twice, I have been asked by NHS medical staff, if I am type 2, type 1 wasn't mentioned, hence my post.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In what context? Was the ocaisions you were asked this diabetes related?

At hospital. I was asked if I had any medical conditions, I said yes, I have diabetes............. the reply, Type 2 ?? twice.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At hospital. I was asked if I had any medical conditions, I said yes, I have diabetes............. the reply, Type 2 ?? twice.

I get that question. My reply is a little more specific. It helps them help me...! ;)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I can imagine her first action then.
'Doesn't everyone have private health care as part of their benefits, I do, so let's get all these type 1's claiming off theirs, and make them go to BUPA hospitals, and reduce the drain on the NHS'

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Quite possibly not - do you really want to be opened up the the same sort of bad publicity and accusations of bringing it upon yourself that's currently aimed at type 2s in general? I don't expect you'd get any better treatment than some of us do in that respect, so be very careful what you wish for... :D

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator: