Does the heat make you feel ill

clementi1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Talking to a fellow diabetic found that we both really fear the heat as makes us feel really ill so anyone else too and just how do you deal with it

Hate the hot weather feel exactly the same. Its a nightmare

Last edited by a moderator:

westwoodsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I love the heat it's really good for my blood sugar levels too lower and much more stable than in the winter

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Talking to a fellow diabetic found that we both really fear the heat as makes us feel really ill so anyone else too and just how do you deal with it
Yes the heat this Year is making me feel u nwell

sammi4688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't mind the heat if I'm at home but hate it in work! I work in a nursery and today had 2 hypos. Luckily I always keep a bottle of lucozade in the room and glucose tabs in my pocket. My room leader was talking to me and all I could do was stare, the words were there but I just couldn't get them out! Didn't say anything and just laughed it off saying I must have been daydreaming. Slightly embarrassing having to say I'm having a hypo

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I love the heat it's really good for my blood sugar levels too lower and much more stable than in the winter

I must admit I have had some lower readings, which is great, but the heat and me, do not get on :wideyed:

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
I was diagnosed T2 in 2009 and I've always done pretty good in hot weather but since the summer of 2010 I've had real problems incl more severe migraines and sunburn I'm on plenty of medication for other conditions but since 2010 I've been given high factor 50 called Sunsense I tend on burn on left arm particularly and have to take imigram50 tabs more frequently than usual I used to pretty good in summer weather no longer prefer to stay in now

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
yes, I don't fair too well in the heat with my sugar levels and general wellness. I think my body stresses more with heat. Thankfully for me it's winter where I live right now. But I am always trying to stay somewhere cool in hot weather. If I'm out in the heat for even half an hour I start feeling sick.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
First: I loathe the heath (AND I live in a very warm country, which doesn't help). Problems with insulin storage both at home and when travelling, multiple hypos every day, swelling ankles, much too low blood pressure, no sleep for a two-month spell (people stay up later and make noise in the street, plus, not having air conditioning, one has to open the windows at night to try and make the house a little cooler). And oh, the horrible smell from the waste bins (those in the street I mean; don't know the name in English sorry). And the feeling of living under a steam iron from 6 am till 1 am, and the disappearing under a sultry mist of the mountain chains that usually line my horizon, and the impression of having gone half-blind due to persisting haziness, and the constraint of exercising only at a very early hour in the morning (when and if I'm not in a low at that time, which happens far too frequently), and the impression of being steeped in an infected, over polluted and corrupt swamp… Ok, I think I'd better stop now before this turns into a horror-film script (but I do feel like a zombie in hot weather, to be honest).
So, no, borderter, you're definitely not alone!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I would rather climb Everest.

TopoGigi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
I like the sun but it doesn't like me! The hot humid weather makes my Diabetes related Autonomic Neuropathy worse unfortunately, shortness of breath, dreadful low blood pressure, exhaustion, etc;

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I'd rather climb Everest.

mindy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been type 1 for many years and find that the combination of heat & humidity causes hypo's. As my hypo awareness is not that great this has been difficult to manage. I had to consume 3 litres of Lucozade on Tuesday throughout the day! I also feel rather jaded to say the least.

Muzleflash58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been felling very ill and shaky this week, keep getting headaches and feeling very dizzy, my ankles have swollen up and my feet are killing me, I try to drink as much non sugar fluid as I can but dislike drinking straight water. Also my blood glucose levels have been high every day and I am unable to get them to come down :(

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
a0400f715f8d26a6fbfdd7e73a798ada.jpg
Love sunshine (can't get enough). Had first dip in the sea this week. But also had an 11hour round trip up to Northants and back in a hire van. Temperature was reading 30. That was hot.
My bloods have been up in 6's for a week and now 7 today. I don't understand what is different.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since I've got my blood sugar under control and lost loads of weight, I really, really feel the cold, so I absolutely love hot weather - I spent last weekend in Madrid where it was pushing 40 degrees and have enjoyed the warm uk weather this week. My blood sugar seems to like it too - it's been brilliant all week

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the hot weather!! It makes me happy especially if the sun is shining too!! My sugar levels are much lower which I have to be aware of but I can then have an ice cream :)

FolkyRose1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people looking down at me as if wondering why l am in a wheel chair (I am in a high risk of falling
I hate the heat and sun, so does my diabetes. Raised sugars( not great levels as it is ). I have a ceiling fan in bedroom but because of raised sugars l wake up in a bed of sweat. My osteo arthritis pains are all worse. Roll on Autumn

LesleyAddison

You can buy a "cooling scarf" from the Internet. Basically a scarf that is filled with water retaining crystals. Soak it in water and put it round your neck. As the water evaporates, the scarf cools and keeps you cool. Brilliant for holidays in hot climates, hot flushes etc. Does make a real difference to how I feel, they come in different colours and aren't expensive.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I used to love the summer now I have to watch myself and stay out of the heat as it makes me feel so tired.