Help: holiday heat

SammiPoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey I'm looking for any advice you can give. Currently in NYC with my 8yo and can't seem to control her BG. The weather is insane most days 30 degrees (which we are not used to coming from Scotland lol). Before coming here we were pretty under control but since arriving in giving constant corrections as she seems to be high at every reading. She's drinking plenty fluids. She's not unwell and I'm regularly checking for ketones. Is there anything else I can do to try and control her BG? Thanks in advance

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Higher than normal temperatures can have an effect BGL.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-hot-weather.html

There is also the possibility of the insulin having lost some/most/all of its potency due to being in excessive temperatures for too long. How high is high exactly (for you and your child) in terms of BGL?

Providing the readings are getting into the teens and not coming down it might be worth trying a new cartridge/pre-filled pen depending on which you're using.

Have you something like a frio wallet to keep everything cool when out and about?

Hope you're having a nice time:)

Grant

SammiPoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your reply. At home she was generally in target below 8 but since being here she's been 11-14 mostly. I've been keeping her pens etc in a cool bag when outdoors as I had been warned it could reduce efficiency but will change the cartridge now and see if this had any impact.

And thank you we are having a lovely time except her high levels lol

Suzanne

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply. At home she was generally in target below 8 but since being here she's been 11-14 mostly. I've been keeping her pens etc in a cool bag when outdoors as I had been warned it could reduce efficiency but will change the cartridge now and see if this had any impact.

And thank you we are having a lovely time except her high levels lol

Suzanne
I assume that you'll have been eating out a lot and although I'm sure you're an excellent carb counter, it tends to be more difficult when you're eating out - especially over seas!

Well done for the cool bag, you're taking all the right steps.

Excitement raises BGL's in the exact same way as stress can. Although one is good and the other not so good, the body's natural response is the same. So it's possible that her blood sugars are higher than normal due to having a great time.

Hope you get things sorted out and enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Btw, it was 25degC in Aberdeen yesterday:D

Grant

Reactions: 2 people

SammiPoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We are staying with family so home cooked meals but here everything contains way more carbs and much smaller portions that's for sure!! Thanks for the advice I've changed cartridges for now will see how this impacts this afternoon!

I heard yesterday's weather was great it was actually hotter there than here lol yesterday was our only "cool" day at 23!

Hope the good weather keeps up for you meanwhile I'm going for a dip in the pool

Reactions: 2 people

edithh23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am also in NYC. It is REALLY HOT! But you can get packs to some in water and it calls your insulin or any other medicine.

For the high BG's you can make shire your tests trips are good as in the heat they can affect the outcome to the blood glucose levels.

Hope I could help
Edith

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum