conditions that can affect driving

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just watching our news here just now and they reported on a man who was killed as a result of a man who had an epileptic seizure behind the wheel. At the time of the accident he was apparently taking his medication even though his licence had been suspended previously (I'm not sure if it was still suspended). The view was then if there is a licence ban then they should perhaps physically hand in their licence which I'm not sure happens.

Now I have a friend with this condition too and she has had her licence suspended and has gone back to driving when she was allowed to do so and taking her medication.

It just occurred to me where on earth do they draw the line with medical conditions which includes diabetes where it can be unpredictable? We can't always guarantee we will never have a hypo whilst driving for example. Does this mean we should have licences removed? I just find that it sounds to me like they're questioning people who are driving with medical conditions here. I for one would not want to lose my licence just because they have one or two cases of fatalities (there was another car crash here recently as a result of a hypo apparently).

It's just a shame. It made me nervous hearing the news on it. In my mind I thought of my friend who is on meds for that condition and she can't guarantee either that she will never have a seizure on meds. Meds in my view do not always 100% control medical conditions. Frustrating really.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We can't always guarantee we will never have a hypo whilst driving for example. Does this mean we should have licences removed?

This is why we are encouraged to test before and during driving (when travelling long distances), it's also the reason why those who have lost their licence need to surrender their licence, with good hypo awareness symptoms you should be able to spot a hypo coming to pull over and treat.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think with epilepsy the ability to control the onset of seizures is a lot more difficult to predict.......that being said some people respond better to meds than others and that's why keeping the condition monitored well personally and by the medical professionals is important...

hypos for me at least can be spotted in very good time and for most its can be the same, so I wouldn't worry too much,,,

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, it's difficult to know where to draw the line with medical conditions, and no one can guarantee mistakes won't be made. There are rules about driving with epilepsy, and I believe they work ok (but again, can probably never be perfect).

Diabetes is a little different in that at least we can test our blood sugar.

Driving is a privilege not a right, and I personally have no issue with the rules around medical conditions. They're there to protect us all.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
yeh the one time I actually did hypo whilst driving I had in fact tested before I drove. I was over 5 but had some fast acting carb anyhow to bump up the sugar just a bit more for the journey home which was only half an hour. I wasn't to know I would hypo. But that was a one off. That's why I say there's no guarantee on it really that we won't even when we take precautions. The same goes for my friend with epilepsy. She will not drive if she has had seizures, yet there was one time I was with her in the car when a dog ran out in from of her as she was driving and she hit it. The shock of hitting the dog triggered a seizure. Oh boy was I concerned. But she managed to drive ok with me hanging on to her wheel at some points. Again, that was something she couldn't predict happening. She was fine prior to that.

What I'm hoping though is that they stop reporting the negative of what happens and tell people that most with medical conditions are fine to drive. The way they worded the news story I saw tonight painted a negative light on anyone with a medical condition really when that shouldn't happen. It should just be that they state people need to be under the care of their physician and doing their drivers medical assessments (that's the requirement to have a licence where I live).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My endocrinologist has told me not to drive at all!

Real good job that I never learned!

It all depends on what stage of your condition you are at.

If you have good control and check before and during on long trips, then that should be sufficient.
If not in control, then how can you control a vehicle that could cause an accident!

Anyone who has a condition where a risk of harm to others should be told to be assessed regularly.

I don't think the balance of the laws is keeping up with the modern-day medical knowledge.

S

Shar67

I had a boy friend years ago, one of his friends had epilepsy, when it was diagnosed, he was told to surrender licence to DVLA which he did, with medication his seizures were controlled, so he got licence back (3 year medical licence) after a year seizure free,
after a couple of years he decided to stop taking the meds as the made him not "feel himself".
Guess what happened, he crashed his car into a local chippy, he and the customers in chippy were very lucky that no one was injured
His licence was suspended and he was arrested for dangerous driving, he served 3 months in prison, which everyone agreed was getting off lightly.
He made the decision to not drive again, so he didn't need to take the meds, but after several grand mal he went back on meds but never applied for licence again.

Reactions: 4 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a boy friend years ago, one of his friends had epilepsy, when it was diagnosed, he was told to surrender licence to DVLA which he did, with medication his seizures were controlled, so he got licence back (3 year medical licence) after a year seizure free,
after a couple of years he decided to stop taking the meds as the made him not "feel himself".
Guess what happened, he crashed his car into a local chippy, he and the customers in chippy were very lucky that no one was injured
His licence was suspended and he was arrested for dangerous driving, he served 3 months in prison, which everyone agreed was getting off lightly.
He made the decision to not drive again, so he didn't need to take the meds, but after several grand mal he went back on meds but never applied for licence again.

Yeh I think that is what this guy on the news did.... he went off his meds previously and his licence was suspended, but then apparently he went back on his meds and that is when he crashed into and killed the other person. Technically he should've been controlled if on meds. And here to get your licence renewed you have to have a medical assessment annually which means they will only let you renew your licence annually rather than the option of every 5 years like I used to do before this change in driving laws here (I'm not in UK).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone I know through work is in her year of suspension after a siezure.
In her 40s, the epilepsy came on 18 months ago. Total disarrangement of her life. Can't drive to pick the kids up, now works from home... Lives in a rural village with a dreadful bus service. They keep tweaking her meds, and every time they do, she has more seizures, and the 12 month count down starts again.

- but she is horrified at the thought of driving now. The thought of the harm she could do means she doesn't want to.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone I know through work is in her year of suspension after a siezure.
In her 40s, the epilepsy came on 18 months ago. Total disarrangement of her life. Can't drive to pick the kids up, now works from home... Lives in a rural village with a dreadful bus service. They keep tweaking her meds, and every time they do, she has more seizures, and the 12 month count down starts again.

- but she is horrified at the thought of driving now. The thought of the harm she could do means she doesn't want to.

that's so hard.

My friend she gets 3 or 6 months suspensions depending on the type of seizure she has. The last one she got 6 months because an ambulance was called as she wasn't breathing for a bit during the seizure. They took her to ER and the doc reported her seizure to police and licensing here. She has had epilepsy for a while but it's only in the last few years really the type of seizures she's having has changed where she is passing out with them (usually she doesn't) and it is worrying her but also the docs think it may be because they found she is pre-menapausal as well... apparently hormone changes can impact on this condition she said. It is frustrating that's for sure as I've seen her go through so many different meds over the years. Docs just keep trying to control it really.

S

Shar67

Hugely different thing my little rescue dog had a couple of seizures (he has a lesion on his brain, which vet thought was due to a kick to head In previous home) He was so depressed and down we thought he might die, vet didn't think meds would help and the kindest thing would be to put him down. After lots of research we changed his diet to raw food and home made (I make them so I know what's in them) treats. What a different dog, his whole personality changed, from being mean and grumpy to the happiest dog alive. Vet thought lesion would shorten his life span as it would probably get bigger, well he's 17 now so don't know how long is lifespan is supposed to be.
Anyway I wonder if a processed diet in humans aggravates epilepsy, not that you could eat raw meat but you could eat food with nothing done to it.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hugely different thing my little rescue dog had a couple of seizures (he has a lesion on his brain, which vet thought was due to a kick to head In previous home) He was so depressed and down we thought he might die, vet didn't think meds would help and the kindest thing would be to put him down. After lots of research we changed his diet to raw food and home made (I make them so I know what's in them) treats. What a different dog, his whole personality changed, from being mean and grumpy to the happiest dog alive. Vet thought lesion would shorten his life span as it would probably get bigger, well he's 17 now so don't know how long is lifespan is supposed to be.
Anyway I wonder if a processed diet in humans aggravates epilepsy, not that you could eat raw meat but you could eat food with nothing done to it.

your dog is doing well... 17 is a good age. :)

My friend has changed her diet numerous times over the years. She is currently doing gluten free at the moment and she thinks it helps her with her energy levels. But in reality it hasn't improved her condition as she has had some of her worst seizures since being gluten free.... poor thing.