High blood sugars. Type1 child.

My boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello can anyone please help me. My son is 5yrs old and has type1 diabetes. The last few weeks my son has been keeping his bowel movements in and ive noticed his blood sugar reading have been quite high. Is there any connection?? Worried mumma feeling frustrated  

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello can anyone please help me. My son is 5yrs old and has type1 diabetes. The last few weeks my son has been keeping his bowel movements in and ive noticed his blood sugar reading have been quite high. Is there any connection?? Worried mumma feeling frustrated  

Hi @My boy I don't know if there's any connection with his lack of bowel movements, but that can't be nice for him so if it was me I'd speak to someone to see what can be done to help him.

As for his high sugars, I guess that if he's feeling uncomfortable and not himself, stress might put them up. He may also being having restless nights that could affect them.

How high are his sugars?

I'd definitely give hid DSN a call if you're struggling to control his sugars. In the meantime, keep him well hydrated.

(I'm moving this to the Parents section for you so keep checking back for replies)

My boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou so much for your reply his blood sugars were sittig at 16.6 then when holding in it went upto 21.5 he was clearly stressed out and uncomfortable... his bm is now 22.1 he has had his dinner pmus a correction ketones are 0.1 he has had a poo now and seems much better in himself will het in touch with DCN tho. Thankyou so much. Xxxx

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news @My boy :)

I hope his blood sugars come down now and he gets back to being more comfortable :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do check this with endochronologist.

Is he managing a poo everyday?

It is rare for a child to keep in poo of his own doing....
In which case I have to ask
Is the poo normal? Is it soft or large and hard?

Is this regularly happening or a one off?

Sorry to ask all these details.

From my experience with slow colonic transit not having BM's definitely causes high levels and problems...

My boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do check this with endochronologist.

Is he managing a poo everyday?

It is rare for a child to keep in poo of his own doing....
In which case I have to ask
Is the poo normal? Is it soft or large and hard?

Is this regularly happening or a one off?

Sorry to ask all these details.

From my experience with slow colonic transit not having BM's definitely causes high levels and problems...
Donnellysdogs hi he usually does manage a poo every day most times its soft but sometimes hard. He eventually pood last night accident and urinated himself i got him to sit on toilet but was very upset. Xc

C

catherinecherub

Sometimes children will hold back on pooing because they have been constipated in the past and has caused them pain to open their bowels. They are scared that the same thing will happen if they try and go.
Encourage him to sit on the toilet and take his time. Some psychologists reckon a reward system, even if it is only a star chart, will improve things. I would take him to the G.P. as he can be prescribed medication that will make his stools soft and easier to pass.
Poor little mite, I bet he feels awful when he has an accident.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sometimes children will hold back on pooing because they have been constipated in the past and has caused them pain to open their bowels. They are scared that the same thing will happen if they try and go.
Encourage him to sit on the toilet and take his time. Some psychologists reckon a reward system, even if it is only a star chart, will improve things. I would take him to the G.P. as he can be prescribed medication that will make his stools soft and easier to pass.
Poor little mite, I bet he feels awful when he has an accident.

Aaaaw, didn't' realise that...as an adult suffering impacted faeces I'm the opposite, I'm so determined to shift the mass in me as its so horribly painful.... That does stand to reason now for a child..

I would still have a word with the endo as being constipated for me does severely affect my levels.. To go high. (Obviously I'm a mature adult though) they weighed one of my poo after being admitted to hospital it weighed 6lb!!

I would just talk to endo and dietitian because it could be something food wise that causes constipation in the first place. For me I found it easier to write down each day what foods I ate and of I had a poo etc.. Was it normal, or impacted etc and the food that I had ate.

For example Thursday morn I asked hubby to hold his nose and look at my poo as it had solid food in it still. We established that it was food from Sunday last week, so I now know to avoid that food.

It may be worth doing something similar to this for a couple weeks and see if a particular food may be causing any constipation....

My boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aaaaw, didn't' realise that...as an adult suffering impacted faeces I'm the opposite, I'm so determined to shift the mass in me as its so horribly painful.... That does stand to reason now for a child..

I would still have a word with the endo as being constipated for me does severely affect my levels.. To go high. (Obviously I'm a mature adult though) they weighed one of my poo after being admitted to hospital it weighed 6lb!!

I would just talk to endo and dietitian because it could be something food wise that causes constipation in the first place. For me I found it easier to write down each day what foods I ate and of I had a poo etc.. Was it normal, or impacted etc and the food that I had ate.

For example Thursday morn I asked hubby to hold his nose and look at my poo as it had solid food in it still. We established that it was food from Sunday last week, so I now know to avoid that food.

It may be worth doing something similar to this for a couple weeks and see if a particular food may be causing any constipation....
Thankyou so much for your advice i shall give this a try. Best wishes xxx

Reactions: 2 people