My low carb/IF Diet - BG and progress

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Think I undid all the good last night when I went out with my pal. Only meant to have a couple of glasses of wine but ended up with wine, h&b and then spritzers! Then we danced til 1am...

Totally forgot to test this morning so no idea what that lot did to me but I'm sure it's not pretty!!

It's my eldest' birthday today and we are off to TGI Fridays. I was going to abstain but my mum pointed out that Fung says you're allowed to celebrate for special occasions, so if he approves, then why not?! I may even have dessert.....

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

Enjoy yourself:) Tomorrow is another day:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's scary to let loose because in the past it would turn into a binge and last for weeks. I think I'm more in control now and can go back to normal tomorrow but the fear thought is always at the back of my mind...it's almost like being an alcoholic x

----------

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is the one thing I still struggle with. I get into the mindframe of 'well I've already eaten this so I might as well eat this and this as well' and it is sooo easy to go off track. I admire your willpower, enjoy your daughters birthday.

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I quit Diet Coke for this reason. From what I've read, sweeteners can raise bg and do affect weight because it spikes insulin production. I wish this wasn't the case. I've also heard that stevia in liquid form is the best but all should be avoided.

I've cut down on it all but am still probably having too much. I use coffee syrup in the mornings - only a small bit and I still Sweden my Greek yoghurt and cream when I have it but I think that's about it. Because of the fasting, I'm definitely eating way less than I used to. I do miss the Diet Coke sometimes though but let myself have it when I go out to eat.

----------
I'm so impressed with your success and your determination. Congratulations! And I still have Splenda in my coffee in the morning because otherwise I can't drink the coffee. But I am holding the line against all the diet candy and cooking all those fancy desserts with evil sweeteners. I don't know -has anybody heard the word on the sugar alcohol sweeteners -do they push insulin to0? Dr. F said there wasn't available research when he was writing about the sweeteners. And some are much worse than others! But I read in one of his posts to his patient Who just couldn't give up diet pop but was otherwise quite successful,that if that was the thing he had to hold onto, then whatever gets you through the night. Keep up the good fight!

JenniferG

Just started on your thread, and haven't read it all. If you don't mind me asking, could you summarize your 27 week experience? How has it been for you the past 27 weeks? How much weight have you lost total and what is your fasting blood glucose these days? Are you maintaining any weight loss? How often have you plateaud. Any pitfalls you ran into / tips? Thanks a bunch, this is an encouraging thread.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just started on your thread, and haven't read it all. If you don't mind me asking, could you summarize your 27 week experience? How has it been for you the past 27 weeks? How much weight have you lost total and what is your fasting blood glucose these days? Are you maintaining any weight loss? How often have you plateaud. Any pitfalls you ran into / tips? Thanks a bunch, this is an encouraging thread.

I've lost a total of 18kg and have a way to go still. I plateaued a lot before starting IF but since doing that I'm losing about 1kg a week and my back/leg pain has drastically improved.

When consistent my FBG is mid to high 5s but lately it's been low 6s and this weekend I got a 6.8 after a lot of splurging for daughter's birthday.

IF does work and I'm having a consistent loss with it. I'm spending les on food and have a bit more time because I'm not having to prepare food. Honestly, if I can do it, anyone can.

The best success for me has got to be controlling my emotional eating and not letting food control me any more. Today we are going to the dessert place and I will be having my last big treat for the rest of the summer...I will also try my hardest to abstain from alcohol over the holidays as well.

I also need to eradicate as much stress from my life as possible but I think that's pretty hard to do as a single parent with an ex who still tries to call the shots and punish me after me finally throwing in the towel...I can't do much about how other people behave but I can be less receptive and affected by it.

I think that's about it!

If you have any questions, let me know! Best of luck to you!
D x

----------

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so impressed with your success and your determination. Congratulations! And I still have Splenda in my coffee in the morning because otherwise I can't drink the coffee. But I am holding the line against all the diet candy and cooking all those fancy desserts with evil sweeteners. I don't know -has anybody heard the word on the sugar alcohol sweeteners -do they push insulin to0? Dr. F said there wasn't available research when he was writing about the sweeteners. And some are much worse than others! But I read in one of his posts to his patient Who just couldn't give up diet pop but was otherwise quite successful,that if that was the thing he had to hold onto, then whatever gets you through the night. Keep up the good fight!

Thank you! I agree with the compromise. If we can make significant changes and improve ourselves without sacrificing everything then so be it! I've significantly reduced my intake of sweeteners but won't give them up completely. Low carbing is great because it doesn't feel like a hard diet but I need sweeteners for some things. I'd rather keep on the straight and narrow with a bit of stevia than constantly derailing.

I've read that sugar alcohols are bad. Anything ending with an 'ol' is to be avoided but liquid stevia is the best option. Who really knows?!

We just need to take stock and do our best!

D x

----------

JenniferG

Thank you that's some amazing progress! Glad the intermittent fasting is work for you. It's been doing well for me. I recently did 18:6 LCHF at 1600 calories a day for 25 days.. I felt best on that diet because it elminated all hunger and honestly it was hard to remember to eat food. I weigh 27 stone so I have lots to burn! :) But in the past 2 months I've lost 3 stone with LCHF and IF.

Been back on LCHF 2400 grazing diet the past week and bloods are going up a bit but still lost a lil weight.

Going back on intermittent fasting again starting today. Blood sugars improve. Thinking of maybe doing a 7 day fast. Then going back to LCHF grazing again.. then doing a different kind of fast.

I find it exciting and fun to change up the diets and fasting schedules. I guess I'm weird :) I guess that's how we evolved though, not knowing when our next meal was going to be.. periods of feasting and periods of fasting.

Hope to shake this metabolic syndrome and get down to fasting blood sugar of low 5's soon. Right now I wake iwth mid 6's but better than the 17's i used to wake up with for a period of 4 years, up until 2 months ago. Thank you LCHF and IF :) Off all meds including 120 units of insulin.

I look forward to hearing about your continued success with IF as it appears IF will be part of my diet for the rest of my life.

I am glad you splurged on your daughter's birthday. Birthdays and holidays are meant for that. That's the beauty of intermittent fasting. You can just make up for that period of feasting with a period of effortless fasting.

Best wishes,
Jennifer

Reactions: 5 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you read Fung's book? One of the keys to success is to avoid eating for long periods of time to reduce the insulin which in turn will unlock the fat stores. He also goes through the diet myths we live by and one of them covers grazing. If you're constantly eating/grazing, even if low carb, that will make the body produce insulin which will store more fat. Personally I think that's part of what my prob was and since I now don't eat for 24hrs, it's significantly improved my weightloss.

I can't think about the total weight I need to lose - it just seems like a mountain I'll never climb so take it in 10kg increments which is more achievable. As I near the next increment I am more determined to carry on....

Mind over matter. Best of luck to you too xxxx

----------

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you read Fung's book? One of the keys to success is to avoid eating for long periods of time to reduce the insulin which in turn will unlock the fat stores. He also goes through the diet myths we live by and one of them covers grazing. If you're constantly eating/grazing, even if low carb, that will make the body produce insulin which will store more fat. Personally I think that's part of what my prob was and since I now don't eat for 24hrs, it's significantly improved my weightloss.

I can't think about the total weight I need to lose - it just seems like a mountain I'll never climb so take it in 10kg increments which is more achievable. As I near the next increment I am more determined to carry on....

Mind over matter. Best of luck to you too xxxx

----------
You're doing really well and are an inspiration to us all.. really like the 10kg loss segment idea. Like you I am/was a grazer this week i'm going to try 23 1/2 hour fasts only eating once a day to see how that goes before gearing up for my 7 day fast probably in August..

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferG

Yes, I own The Obesity Code, and also frequent his website: http://intensivedietarymanagement.com . I've read the Obesity Code two times now and enjoy re-reading it. I read the fasting chapter like 3 times now. Yep, everything you said I'm in agreement with. Have you read Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat" book as well? (It has a lot in it that Fung didn't touch on) Fung pulls a lot of info from that book along with Taube's Good Calories, Bad Calories book (which is a bit heavier). I really liking Phinney & Volek's book now: The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living -- just got this book the other day and starting on it. I also like The New Atkins for a New You (just got that book the other day as well and half way through). Got Dr. Michael MOsley's 8 week blood sugar diet as well since he has mediterranean recipes in it, a diet Dr. Fung advocates -- read that book in one setting , love it ; the Mediterranean food sounds yummy.

I like the idea of your weight loss goals, I am doing the same. My weight loss goal is 10 pounds at a time. I just broke into the 370's (at 379 last week) .. my next goal is 369.. then 359 etc :) So we think the same :) I have like 14 stone to lose overall.. but I am just so happy I got my blood sugars under control int he past 2 months and losign 3 stone and continuing to lose without feeling any hunger whatsoever. I just can't fail it seems :) No plateau is gonna stop me.. I'll just change it up with different fasting schedule. Keep the body wondering what I am going to do to it next lol. I am also just so happy to maintain the weight loss I get each week and keeping blood sugars in line. I don't care how long any plateau is, it'll never get me down because I've accomplished so much and will always bask in that accomplishment for the rest of my life.

Things are just so different now. I am 45 and been morbidly obese all my life (was 300 lb when I was 13). Every diet failed.. always hungry.. that's because I followed the diets that were supposed to be healthy for me, very low fat and hi carbs .. LOL.. after reading all these books, no wonder I failed! The diet set me up for failure. Now that I am doing LCHF and IF, never hungry and continued success ! I haven't been this light since 1999 and blood sugars normalized and off of 120 units of insulin and all diabetes meds! :)

Wish you great continued success! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Go us!!

I love reading the various books out there. Michael Mosely annoys me - he's like a cuckoo and pinches other ideas and repackages them up to make money. He did it with 5:2 and now with Newcastle. Marketing machine (that was my career before the babies came along so I know the tricks!!)

I too have been fat all my life but get quite sad when I look at me at 17. I thought I was huge but I really wasn't. I was just a curvy girl and had I not given up on myself back then, I could have been quite healthy. Anyway, I'm done punishing myself and feeling guilty. I will confess though that I worry about loose skin. My arms in particular which are still big but getting smaller. I've noticed since I've not been strict with dumbell workout that they've got flabbier and I really don't like it. I must make a better effort during the summer to do it three times a week but I really hate the heat....

I agree too that blood glucose is the most important marker for us. Once we can sort that, weight will come down and as that shifts, bg does too.

I also have to do better at drinking water. I can never understand how I can easily drink 2 litres of wine yet struggle with water!!!

X

----------

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from dessert place and I did have a waffle but could t finish it so left it. In the past, I'd have eaten all of it despite being full....

----------

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Go us!!

I love reading the various books out there. Michael Mosely annoys me - he's like a cuckoo and pinches other ideas and repackages them up to make money. He did it with 5:2 and now with Newcastle. Marketing machine (that was my career before the babies came along so I know the tricks!!)

I too have been fat all my life but get quite sad when I look at me at 17. I thought I was huge but I really wasn't. I was just a curvy girl and had I not given up on myself back then, I could have been quite healthy. Anyway, I'm done punishing myself and feeling guilty. I will confess though that I worry about loose skin. My arms in particular which are still big but getting smaller. I've noticed since I've not been strict with dumbell workout that they've got flabbier and I really don't like it. I must make a better effort during the summer to do it three times a week but I really hate the heat....

I agree too that blood glucose is the most important marker for us. Once we can sort that, weight will come down and as that shifts, bg does too.

I also have to do better at drinking water. I can never understand how I can easily drink 2 litres of wine yet struggle with water!!!

X

----------
To be fair to MM though, you don't need to buy any of his stuff as so much info is available on his free website and forum. Professor Taylor wrote the foreword for the Blood Sugar Diet book so knows about the pinching. I think the book is a good thing to make the idea of an 800 cal diet more accessible for dummies like me who glaze over at the sight of scientific articles :wideyed:

Well done on your restraint at the dessert place x

Reactions: 6 people

JenniferG

I quit Diet Coke for this reason. From what I've read, sweeteners can raise bg and do affect weight because it spikes insulin production. I wish this wasn't the case. I've also heard that stevia in liquid form is the best but all should be avoided.

I've cut down on it all but am still probably having too much. I use coffee syrup in the mornings - only a small bit and I still Sweden my Greek yoghurt and cream when I have it but I think that's about it. Because of the fasting, I'm definitely eating way less than I used to. I do miss the Diet Coke sometimes though but let myself have it when I go out to eat.

----------
I've quit all artificial sweetners as well. Guess what? I didn't miss them after three days :) Just had a cup of coffee with some heavy cream in it.. yum.. that's all I need ! :) And sodas in general are just plain bad.. I just to drink them like water.. no more.. I drink.. water :)

JenniferG

Go us!!

X

----------
Do you take multivitmin and magnesium as well?

I've thought about the loose skin as well, and well I decided I'd worry about it when I get there. There are affordable tummy tucks etc. Looked at a lot of before and after photos and youtube vids and was impressed. I have like 14 stone to lose, already lost 3.. so I am sure i'll have some pretty bad skin but I don't care.. doing the best I can and it'll extend my life by a couple decades at least :) I was a dead woman 2 months ago at A1C of 11.. numb limbs.. have half the feeling back in them arleady! :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep going Jen. Do you have a partner? I wish sometimes I had someone who would love me no matter what - saggy skin and stretch marks!! I don't fancy getting naked with someone new to see it all sloshing about lol!!

I take magnesium but am really slack on multivitamin- I need to add that to my things to improve! Along with water intake....x

----------

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I didn't make it to breakfast tomorrow for a fast after that devilish dessert today and needed to get some food in me so had half a lidl protein roll with butter and pate. It was really filling.

My plan now is this...

Fast from 6.30 tonight until Monday night when I'll have dinner.

Then fast from dinner Monday night until dinner on Tuesday night (fish from chip shop on the beach as we're away).
Wednesday - breakfast at hotel then another 24 hour fast to make it three in a row. I'll then eat breakfast on Thursday morning.

I think that is doable . It will make life easier for me if I can do that!

I can see me working up to regular 48 hour fasts at this rate! X

----------