Hypo

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I got up this morning blood sugars 7 didn't eat I usually do but thought I would wait about hour n half later went to the shop which is not far half way down I felt sick n dizzy n fell into a land post blood pouring from my nose I managed. To get 2 glucose tablets down me n get home with my 9 year old daughter testing my blood sugars hour later 12.2 my eyesight is blurry bur Iu don't feel sick my nose swollen. This has really scared me I sometimes do without my breakfast an never happened before

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you on any meds?

That sounds really nasty. I hope you're ok now. What are your blood sugars normally like?

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Around 6 or 7 always ok really I am on no meds at present only for blood pressure my hsbc1 was 55 a month ago

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Around 6 or 7 always ok really I am on no meds at present only for blood pressure my hsbc1 was 55 a month ago

Ok - is it possible it could be to do with your blood pressure? Or simply the heat? Or the start of an illness?

I ask because 12.2 is quite high after 2 glucose tablets and a walk. I'm not a doctor and I can only make suggestions, but if it was me and I'd had an episode like that I'd speak to my doctor just to get a check up and some reassurance.

Don't assume it was a hypo. It could be related to something else.

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your probably right my blood pressure usually very stable n it wasn't that hot this morning I automatically thought it was a hypo buyt hard to judge when I never had one before I just assumed

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your probably right my blood pressure usually very stable n it wasn't that hot this morning I automatically thought it was a hypo buyt hard to judge when I never had one before I just assumed

The reason I suggested blood pressure was that a family member had a funny turn like that - almost passed out and fell down - and his BP meds needed adjusting. Worth a check, if only for reassurance.

If you're not on meds, a hypo such as you described is unlikely, especially as a later blood test was high.

It could just be something simple and a one-off so don't panic, but I would just get the all-clear from a doctor or nurse. Hopefully, this was just a random occurence :)

Take it easy and go gently for the next few days.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If it happens again, maybe only one glucose tablet would be enough to get you back.
11 does seem high!
Speak to your doctor about your hba1c and if it does happen again, hopefully you can test your bloods to see what is happening.

Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 people

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou and I will got an appointment for next week just to be sure

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou and I will got an appointment for next week just to be sure

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

That seems like a plan.

I don't know if you've been diagnosed long, or have been working to bring down your HbA1c scores by changing your diet, losing weight, or whatever. The only reason I throw any of that into the mix is when I was diagnosed, my blood pressure was elevated (actually, that's why I had bloods done as I had absolutely no symptoms). As I got the hang of things, I could see my blood pressure coming back into line.

If that's been happening to you, and you've been taking tablets to ease your blood pressure, they may just be coming to a point where they're doing too good a job, and need to be tweaked a bit. If that's the case, aside from the nasty fall, I'd call it a great sign.

These things can be scary, and probably worse that you had your daughter with you. I hope you're feeling brighter today.

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been diagnosed since April and on losertan potassium 1 daily I will defo get that checked out I shouldn't have presumed it was a hypo at all

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all your advise