Newly Diagnosed

The Mekon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr did blood test in June, reading was 6.2, then another this month was 6.1. Was told to make appointment with diabetic nurse. Have just come back from seeing her. She said my weight (68.8), BMI (22.2) & blood pressure were all good. She'd never had a patient who did so much exercise. I have changed my diet but not by that much, just eating less pasta & potatoes. I don't understand why I have diabetes.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Can you tell us exactly which sort of test you had that gave you figures of 6.2 and 6.1?
Was it an HbA1c test or a fasting blood glucose test?

If you were diagnosed with diabetes those figures do not make sense to me. Are you sure you were told you have diabetes, or were you told you are at risk of diabetes?

The Mekon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did non-fasting blood test, so assume it was HbA1c. Dr told me that a result of 6 was pre diabetic and anything over was diabetic.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well your doctor needs to be re-trained! He is completely mixed up and wrong.

under 6 is non-diabetic
6.0 to 6.4 is "at risk" or pre-diabetic
6.5 or over is diabetic

Your HbA1c of 6.1 is pre-diabetic.

This page explains what the HbA1c is and what the figures mean
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Also, your figures are the old measurement units, not used generally since 2011, and represent a percentage. So the correct way of writing it is 6.1%. Since 2011 the measurement units are in mmol/mol.

The conversion chart is here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

The Mekon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wether it's diabetes or pre diabetes is immaterial, the point is it's above 6%. I have to get it as far below 6 as quickly as possible and keep it there.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just cut down on carbs, perhaps cut out bread, pasta, cereals, potatoes etc and you will see an amazing difference and will surely get you into the non diabetic range. Good luck.