Blood Sugar went up after short Jog

Reefshark64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Apricots,
I have been doing LCHF for 18 months and regularly exercise (Regularly jogging 5 miles and walking ) and have lost loads of weight and have reduced my HBA1C to 40. I was never perticularly strict on the amount of carbs i ate, especially after i reached my goal weight at christmas. However on my last checkup my HBA1C crept up to 41 so thought i better take control before it goes any higher. So i am now keeping to less than 30g of carbs or less per day and using Ketostix to check I'm in ketosis, apart for a blip over the bank holiday weekend (Roast nut binge at a BBQ) i have been in ketosis for at least 10 days in a row.

My question is i went for a 2 mile jog this morning, my FBS at 6:47am was 4.9 mmol/l 36 minutes later after my run it was up to 7.3 I was expecting it to have dropped! Can any one explain why, i was thinking that as I've only been in ketosis for 10 days I'm not fat adapted. Ive never measured my BS pre/post workout so have nothing to compare with.

My FBS is now back down to 5.2mmol/l 2 hours since the last reading. ( time for cooked breakfast , bacon eggs, avocado & sausage washed down with fresh coffee with Cream, what Sundays are made for)

Thanks in advance

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hormones released during exercise can send you up. You could have had a bit of a liver dump if your body thought you needed more glucose for energy during the run.

You readings are all perfectly within target, it's a normal response to exercise, your body is just doing what it is supposed to - nothing to be concerned about.

Hope it was a nice run :)

Reactions: 6 people

Reefshark64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Apricots,
Thanks caterpillar, I am not usually fasted when i go out for run, it was good to get back before the heavens opened. But Cooked breakfast was so much better.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Libre so can graphically see BG when I exercise.
It always seems to go up for the first 15-30 minutes or so then drops back down quite rapidly.
I've always put this down to temperature and blood circulation.

Reactions: 2 people