1st Day At School

Diamummy_

Type of diabetes
Carer
My lovely little daughter that has t1d is starting primary school next Friday, she has been on a pump for a month now and things are going really well but I can't help worrying about her going to school, are there any other parents out there that have any advice ? Many thanks xx

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter is a little older at 10 but she was diagnosed in February this year and was back to school after just 2 weeks.

Her DN held a meeting with all the school staff and explained Ellie's diabetes to them. She then held a further meeting with Ellie's teacher and school nurse/first aider where she went into things in greater detail. How to use her equipment, help her with injections, treat a hypo etc. It turned out that there was already a boy younger than Ellie with T1 that was using a pump.

When Ellie first started back at school I was a wreck but I shouldn't of been so worried as everything went quite smoothly. The school nurse kept me informed of how Ellie's first few days were going, more for my reassurance than anything.

It's been a huge weight off my mind knowing that Ellie is safe in school and the staff all know how to help her if need be.

Ellie also carries a note book with her where the school nurse records Ellie's bloods/insulin throughout the day and if she's been feeling unwell etc, I also use it to send info back to school regarding any illness, changes to insulin ratios, what carbs are in her packed lunch etc.

It might be worth a meeting with the school regarding your daughters diabetes before she starts even if it's only for your reassurance.

Hope her first day at school goes well for you both

Reactions: 2 people

Diamummy_

Type of diabetes
Carer
Thanks for your advice, we have had a few meetings with the school and the DN has been out a few times, it's just gunna be a massive leap to trust all these new people with her

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i read this topic and so felt for you -- it is a giant leap of faith to trust other people to look after your daughter's welfare.
I am sure she will be fine.
it sounds like you have good support from your daughter's DSN

Diamummy_

Type of diabetes
Carer
We really have very good support from everyone so we are very lucky, she is going to stay at her grandparents for he first time since her diagnoses tonight but she's in good hands so il try not to worry

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a 5 year old T1 daughter, diagnosed last November. It's scary sending them off for someone else to take care of! We have dexcom so have set up nightscout, it gives me massive peace of mind to be able to watch her numbers the whole time she's at school. Definitely worthwhile.x