Trouble checking and injecting at school

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 7 years ago and i always had problems with injecting and checking my glucose levels in front of students. when ever i did, students would come up to me and asks questions which i have answered repeatedly. It is really annoying. i tried going into the first aid and even the bathrooms but i never felt safe or comfortable at school. Is anyone having the same problem? is there a way to not feel uncomfortable or different?

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're at school, you should talk to your teacher. Schools should have a policy for anyone with a medical condition. Have you let the school know how you feel? Does this happen only at certain times of the day? If so, maybe teachers could watch out for it. You shouldn't have to go into the bathroom to test or inject.

Do your close friends know and support you? Could you test when you've just sat down and have friends around you maybe?

Reactions: 4 people

Dan1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been a long time since I left school but I hate testing and injecting at work always uncomfortable lad's i work with always stand around to watch me it seems
Maybe that's just me thinking that or maybe they are I try just to get on with it as it's are health not there's

Goodluck with it

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Given what you have tried I can honestly only say I think you need to tell yourself every day that you have an illness and you deserve to treat it with no questions. YOU choose where to take your injections and if anyone looks or says anything just state 'I'm diabetic. I need this to live/something like that'. Keep doing it. Keep talking on here about its hard. Let us all support you. You deserve to take your meds with no fear. I've been there. I've done it. I've gone through the transition of just doing it. All you ever need to do is check if anyone is afraid of needles before you pull the top of the pen off. Everyone else can get to ....ect

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Would you be able to talk to your parents and nurses about the possibilty of getting a Libre sensor (you wear this in your arm for 2 weeks and saves getting out your blood machine to test). It can also be programmed to let you put in what you grams of carbs are and to recommend your insulin dose to take. It may relieve some of the privacy issues around testing.

Some youngsters have insulin pumps. Has this ever been discussed with you?

The only real thing to do with people is to find a remark perhaps as simple as "it keeps me alive" or if the same people keep commenting then tell them "I have told you details previously and would be grateful if you would accept me for being me, without repeated questions"..

It really depends on where you are, who the people are etc...you shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable. Have you left school now?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are two possible strategies - always test and inject in private OR deal with the questions eg develop a consistent smart **** response.
I didn't have type 1 diabetes when I was a teenager (started when I was 30), but do work with children of all ages, and prefer not to be observed, as I think it's more important to concentrate on what I'm teaching eg orienteering, bushcraft, nature trails etc. So, I have become good at testing and injecting out of sight, often wandering into woods, but that's not very practical at school. When working indoors, I do test and inject inside toilet stalls to avoid being spotted, if that's the only option. Often a corner of an office is possible. I wonder if teachers could allow you to stay a minute or two later in classroom, so you could test in privacy? Might be worth asking.

Reactions: 2 people

Roguepixies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (now 25 years old) I completely understand where your coming from. When I was at school it was exactly the same at the beginning, everybody wanting to ask questions and watch what I'm doing. At first it felt uncomfortable but then I realised that people asking questions is actually a good thing. It make more people aware of what we have to go through every day. As you get older it should become easier. I now don't care where I inject, the other day me and my daughter (recently diagnosed type 1) were sat out at the park going to eat lunch and we both injected ourselves there and then sat on our blanket we were sat on.
The only advice I have for you is to not feel uncomfortable, this condition is for life.. You shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable when your doing something that keeps you alive each and every day. Like others have said if people ask you anything just keep it short and sweet.. 'I'm diabetic'
I hope this helps

Reactions: 2 people

mc9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, i have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 7 years ago and i always had problems with injecting and checking my glucose levels in front of students. when ever i did, students would come up to me and asks questions which i have answered repeatedly. It is really annoying. i tried going into the first aid and even the bathrooms but i never felt safe or comfortable at school. Is anyone having the same problem? is there a way to not feel uncomfortable or different?

I was diagnosed at a time so I haven't had much school with diabetes yet but in my experiences it gets easier when you've answered the questions (though the questions are still asked) so I guess try to do it at a time when teachers won't let students get up (such as a test or an important lesson).